Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ashamed:

Just wondering if it's safe to wash bio-bb's. I know that it may take a multitude of environmental factors to start the breakdown of BB's, or so some companies state, but is it safe to wash them in dish soap/water without having it start degrading on me?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not to sure if it's ok, but I did and I'm using Madbull .28g biodegradable bbs and so far nothing has started to biodegrade on me yet. Just make sure you dry them out completely before bagging them up or putting them a container. I washed them with soap and water in a colander (The bowl with holes in it usually used to let noodles drip all the extra water.) Then I used a heat gun to dry up as much as I could with out melting them, then stuck them in front of a fan to dry off completely.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, if tl;dr the thread, pretty much, it's okay to wash Bio bb's. They don't suddenly biodegrade as soon as they hit water. They take a long time to biodegrade. It just takes a lesser amount of time than regular.

So basically, you can wash them and not have to worry. Just... don't push it. I'd say, just wash a batch the day before, take them to your game, and you will have no problems at all. It's not like washing bb's takes a long time or is strenuous.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I washed my BB's and they degraded between the hop-up and the muzzle!

But then, I do have an awfully long barrel (650mm!)..... :lmao:

Well I never! Never, ever, heerd of such a thing.
I'll try it for myself, just to be fair.
But it sounds like poppycock. :doh:
I'll weight a bunch and do a before and after.

Do I wash them on the cold or warm cycle? I think the hot cycle might shrink them. :hehe:
Honey! Somethings wrong with the washer. It ate my load of BB's...
And now it won't drain. :shrug:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, if tl;dr the thread, pretty much, it's okay to wash Bio bb's. They don't suddenly biodegrade as soon as they hit water. They take a long time to biodegrade. It just takes a lesser amount of time than regular.

So basically, you can wash them and not have to worry. Just... don't push it. I'd say, just wash a batch the day before, take them to your game, and you will have no problems at all. It's not like washing bb's takes a long time or is strenuous.
I thought I read somewhere that it still takes BIO's something like 300 days in perfect conditions to decompose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"With the sport of Airsoft growing as fast as it is, it won't be long until Airsoft bbs will be found behind every bush, rock and tree. With your help we can fix this problem before it gets out of hand. Granted, biodegradable bbs do take time to break down but at least they do. Our tests have shown them to break down between in as quick as 60 days with ideal conditions and up to little over a full year in very poor conditions. Different conditions will have a different result on the time it takes for the bbs to fully break down. Compared to typical plastic bbs that will be there for ever."

http://www.bioshotbb.com/main.php?id=2

And...

"Biodegradability, which is determined by measuring the actual metabolic conversion of the compostable material into carbon dioxide. This property is quantitatively measured using the standard test method, EN14046 (which is also published as ISO 14855: biodegradability under controlled composting conditions). The acceptance level is 90%, which must be reached in less than 6 months."

http://www.biovalbbb.com/Certificates.html

Now excuse me while I go check the wife's washing machine...
(No, not washing BB's. She is what I call, "Electronically Challenged". She fowled it up and it locked up on her, several days ago. I got it working but I need to monitor the situation.
Other than that, it's "HER TOOL". She does not fool with my shop, and I don't use "HER TOOLS". )

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
And...

"Biodegradability, which is determined by measuring the actual metabolic conversion of the compostable material into carbon dioxide. This property is quantitatively measured using the standard test method, EN14046 (which is also published as ISO 14855: biodegradability under controlled composting conditions). The acceptance level is 90%, which must be reached in less than 6 months."

http://www.biovalbbb.com/Certificates.html
Is it me, or are they trying as hard as they can to use big words to make themselves look more professional? If they are, it worked.

If I was manufacturing bio bbs I would try to keep the bbs as clean and coat-free as possible. If there was something coating biodegradable bbs it would just slow down composting time. Now you got me using big words LOL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it me, or are they trying as hard as they can to use big words to make themselves look more professional? If they are, it worked.

If I was manufacturing bio bbs I would try to keep the bbs as clean and coat-free as possible. If there was something coating biodegradable bbs it would just slow down composting time. Now you got me using big words LOL.
I donno. I just dragged it over here.
Engine-ears and lawyers are always doing that sort of baloney.
Point is, they are trying to set standards and guide lines. Europe is big on telling the people what to do, and what they can use. I feel for Bushmaster in Ireland. (1 joule rule)
You'd think Germany won WWII... :lmao:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dont use them period. Im not risking the integrity of a $1,000 SWS so Bambi doesnt choke. The worst part is once you open the bag they will become deformed in roughly a month. I usually approach the event runner tell them what Im doing and 9/10 they dont care and let me run what I want. I even did this at FT Drum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.