Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really can't decide whether or not to shell out big $$$ for a V-trigger, Z-trigger, or that Angel Custom trigger box for my L96 if the UTG/Well metal trigger mech works well.

Does anyone know firsthand the quality of it? Is it just pot metal? Will it be able to stand up to a PDI 240?

I know people say that "just to be safe" I should get a Zero or V trigger, but I honestly don't see the point IF the UTG metal trigger box works just as well. My plastic trigger box is snapped so my gun is out of commission, and I am VERY VERY poor right now, so I don't want to get any of the more expensive triggers if I don't have to.

Also, does anyone know if the Laylax piston takes 13 mm springs?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Mine is holding up fine as it is right now. I might replace the sears in the future.

I'm not quite sure what spring i have in it. It was shooting 550 before i cut it. it has held up for about 1000 rounds since. (Shooting 500 with .20)

Its made out of cast metal, and doesnt look like its going to break anytime soon. You could always reinforce it in some places.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy it and run it for a while. When you get some extra cash, put in some steel sears and you should be fine. If you want even more reinforcement, you could line the inside walls with a coat of epoxy. I've heard of doing this for the plastic trigger, so it should work even better with the metal one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I did an epoxy coat for the old plastic one. It wasn't the shell or anything that cracked, but the little bushing holes for the rods and the screwholes into the receiver that cracked. Epoxy didn't seem to help those exposed parts.

Anyways, I actually thought it over last night, and I decided I'm going to hit up the pawn shop and scrape a few extra bucks to buy me an Action Army zero trigger. It's astonishingly cheap; only $115 on airsoftgi, and It's relatively new on the market. I think it came out last month in Asia, and even more recently in the US. Knowing ASGI, if you're considering buying one, I'd do so within the next week.

My plans are to throw in a PDI 240 (550 fps rated) I have that I was too afraid to use with the stock trig mech (would you be surprised if I told you the stock mech snapped on a stock spring?). Also, a PDI piston and PDI spring guide to match the 13 mm od spring. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated on it once it comes in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've got one in my rifle right now, actually. UTG MK96 to be specific. It has a pretty solid outer shell. Certainly not high grade metal, but not pot metal either. The big issue is the sears, these ones I have are starting to go after 2000 shots. And the 240 spring seems to have the same FPS as the UTG upgrade kit spring (discovered after a quick google search, and owning the UTG upgrade spring) so it probably will not hold the new spring all that well, because my sears started to go bad once I threw the upgrade kit in.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually think that the wear on the sears isn't completely caused by the upgraded spring. Rather, I think it's the fact that the upgrade piston has a metal lip. Plastic on metal is going to see much less wear than metal on metal. This is coming from a guy whose trigger mech broke on a STOCK spring, but a Polarstar piston.

Part of me was too scared to get the UTG trigger because of the awkward trigger pull that the stock trigger mech gets. The stock one is overall extremely easy to pull, up until a few mm's before the piston is released. Then, it becomes relatively harder (though overall, still light). The upgrade mech is just a stock mech in a metal box, and I wanted a trigger with much more consistent pull, so I went with the Zero Trigger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a metal trigger box for the L96 and honestly it seems to be doing just fine. Then again my gun is pretty much stock except for some diy mods. I still have the stock plastic trigger box in case if I need new sears because where I stay we don't have a huge airsoft community, and our airsoft retailers don't seem to bring in parts for the l96 and I was lucky to find the metal trigger box. Btw i have an mb08 the type with the fold-able stock.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a metal trigger box. I got it for for $30. It works pretty good, even the safety switch is metal (I took a file and filed it a bit and it is metal) I got it after my safety switch broke from the stock trigger. My two stage trigger in my stock didn't work but in this one it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.