Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

I've had my Echo 1 ASR for a while, and absolutely love it. I've already upgraded the hop-up, bucking, and installed a TBB, and now I'm looking to replace the cylinder and piston. The only problem is, I believe I read somewhere that while the gun uses Type 96 parts for the hop up and barrel, it uses a different type of part (possibly VSR10?) for the cylinder and piston...

Now I'm not sure if this is true, but this is the first gun I've majorly upgraded, so I was hoping someone out there might have experience in the matter so I don't go buying the wrong part.

Also, in case I decide to upgrade the spring for better durability and consistency, does anyone happen to know the spring strength?

I have done plenty of looking around online, and can't find anything anywhere on the cylinder or piston for the ASR, so I'm coming to the experts now ;)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I might not replace the spring just yet, but I have a feeling a higher quality spring will provide better consistency, and I don't want to increase the strength much, if at all, until I get a zero trigger or find a way to get reinforced sears because I don't want to ruin my trigger box.

·
Registered
807 Posts
No no no no, you'll spend a lot of money on parts you can't use. Cylinder, trigger, piston, spring, guide etc. are APS2.

Hop up, barrel, spacers, outer barrel threads are L96.

Zero triggers are un-necessary, don't worry about your sears unless they actually break (although I have never heard of this happening on an ASR yet).

For minimal cost and maximum effect, do the teflon mods, get a metal spring guide if only for the bearing sets and polish your cylinder head and body.

Also, what TBB are you using?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks loads, bobgengeskahn, that sounds familiar, and makes sense, seeing as it's pretty much just a rebranded APS2. In that case I might upgrade the spring a bit, and I am going to do the teflon mods as soon as the spring guide and other items arrive.

I'm currently using a Madbull 6.01 TBB, but may be upgrading that to a PDI or Prometheus - any suggestions on this?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Search through the forum, I know that at the very least I made quite a few posts... and may have even posted some targets.

In mine I tested at least 4 barrels. Stock barrel (supposed 6.04), CA 6.02, DBCustom 6.01 and I now have a Madbull 6.03. All of them (except the Madbull) were polished and waxed before testing, and I used a variety of Madbull .3, .4 and .43g as well as Javelin .2, .25 and .3g.

With my setup I ultimately determined that the DBCustom was superiour at closer ranges in terms of accuracy, although the Madbull that I have in now is more consistant at 150'+ with .3gs. Here is a link to my gun in the gallery:
http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1186&start=0

Here is the paint if you're interested:
http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1172&start=0

Theres a range report in the gallery thread, I know there is other stuf out there on this particular gun. Ronin is another guy here that has spent a lot of time with the ASR and knows his stuff.

EDIT:
I just realized that the current specs for my ASR aren't in that particular thread. So to save you digging around...
Currently:
-PSS210 Spring
-PSS APS Piston
-PSS APS Piston head
-PSS APS Spring guide
-APS 2 Aero Chamber (I was experimenting at the time and realized it didn't fit, then again there was next to no info on the ASR at the time, but I've made it work.)
-Guarder Stiff bucking (AMAZING)
-Madbull V.2 barrel AK Length (463?)
-Custom DIY Hop up nub.

Thats the met of it, theres a suppressor and some other DIY things I've done, but thats the 'drive train' for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch, this is incredibly helpful! I've talked to Ronin already as well, he's been a huge help. Seeing all of this, I now have a much better idea of what I can do to make this rifle a beast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok sorry, but one more question: If I'm planning on getting a Laylax spring, what strength should I get? I don't know what strength spring is stock in the ASR, and would like to go a little bit higher on FPS, but not too much, because I did do a little more research, and I haven't heard of a single ASR trigger box breaking yet, even with upgraded springs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a 210 shooting at 640fps with .2s a 6.03 and a stock trigger box. I've since stopped using my ASR only because the bolt handle is wearing out before the sears.

What FPS are you looking for? I would say choose a barrel first, because the FPS will jump or take a dump depending on if you get a bigger or tighter one later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I like browsing the posts on here, and I was reading through this one:

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1681

Mainly, this: "Asia test studies showed a BB to Barrel variance should be about ~.08mm"

And then, later in his post, this: Maruzen Super GrandMaster .29: - AVG = 5.931 - Std. Dev. = 0.005

6.01 - 5.931 = 0.079

So that's about a 0.08mm variance, which is ideal according to this post. Because I haven't yet found any other studies or research indicating that this post is incorrect or that a different variance is better, I'm assuming that it is correct, which would indicate that a 6.01mm barrel is ideal for me, since I use Maruzen SGMs

·
Registered
807 Posts
Good call. I don't have acces to the Grand Master BBs regularly so typically I figured most precision BBs were 5.95+/- .05, I didn't know these were so much smaller. Dont forget to polish your barrel, helps a lot. Same with washing your BBs and keeping your bucking clean.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Oh, thanks for researching! That makes everyones life easier. I'll give you a +1. Anyways, just be sure to use a bb with the same size, if you ever decide to change, for best results.

Good luck with your rifle!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wait, just a quick question about the aero chamber. I was just looking at this thread and I saw that you said the aero chamber didn't fit in the asr. I was actually just going to buy the laylax aero chamber. What did you do to make it fit? And have you had any problems with it?
Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
1. Watch out for necro posts... this is over a year old.

2. I got an APS2 Aero Chamber that I have jerry rigged to work in there (required altering the outer barrel). The ASR is an L96 from the barrel forward. So any L96 hop up chamber, barrel or spacers will fit perfectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.