Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

It has been a while since I have been on, but it would appear that the rainy season is drawing to a close... or at least enough of a close for me to bring out some projects and start looking forward to some upcoming games!

In my previous quest to customize my ASR I succeeded to a point, I installed an APS Aero chamber after some heavy barrel modification and it worked for a while, but now I would like to properly install an L96 unit because the Aero chamber rides forward, jams mags and just gives a world of headaches.

To install the APS chamber I had to drill additional holes for the set screw that have eventually turned into a slit straight down to the hole for the magazine. I am in the middle of weighing the choices of getting a new outer barrel, or possibly patching it for the new chamber that will have the proper spacing for the set screw. Have any of you worked with bondo? I was debating possible fixes and was thinking that I could use bondo and drill a new hole through that. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have an ECHO 1 ASR, and after installing an Edgi Tightbore w/ PDI Hopup Chamber for L96, all I have had is a world of issues. New bucking is in the mail, i'll let you know if I still got issues here once I install my new bucking

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know how that PDI chamber works for you, since that is the one I am looking at, unless I can secure this unit and make this hop up work.

The modifications that I am running on my ASR are:
1. PSS 190 spring
2. PSS APS Piston, piston head, spring guide
3. Mad bull V2 AK length barrel (455mm? I can't remember off the top)
4. PSS2 Aero-chamber (very badly needs to be replaced)
5. Guarder stiff bucking.
6. Home made custom hop up nub
7. Custom shimming on the hop up arm (per. Vindis DMR thread)

I had the firefly in there for a while; it got torn up pretty quick. First it gave really inconsistent hop, then I tried to modify it and it went down hill from there. The guarder works like a dream, especially with the custom nub that I put in there. Between that and the Mad bull barrel, groups got instantly tighter. I have a feeling that now the only variable I have left to deal with is the fact that the hop up unit itself moves forward when I shoot, so that is what I am trying to solve; without having to get a new outer barrel/deal with having to re-paint an outer barrel to match.

Did you have to modify the hole placement to install the PDI hop up unit? The issue that I am having is that the spacing between the

·
Registered
745 Posts
My gun has the following
EDGI 6.01 455mm TB
PDI Hopup Unit
Systema Bucking
ECHO 1 Upgrade Kit
Systema Barrel Spacer
Steel Sear Set - My dad's bestfriend is a metal worker, so he made me a custom sear set for my gun. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes, I have an issue with the hole placement. I have rigged right now, it's super hard to explain through typing, if you have skype, I could explain way more in-depth with what I did. My Systema Buckings come in the mail today. They are suppose to work like a charm with the EDGI as it is a Systema knockoff, and its the same style bucking as the PDI one on Airsoftatlanta.com, so, we'll see about this. My BB's are powering down. I have some serious long nights ahead of me with my gun

·
Registered
209 Posts
I quite nearly was about to have the same problem with the hole in the barrel. However I stopped short of re-setting the hole for the hop up chamber.

I cant think of a way to replace the material for the hole. I dont know what the outter barrel is made of, so I dont know if you can have it welded. That would be the best bet I think. Or you could make a spacer that sets the hole where you want it to be and then is set in place with the set screw.

This would be a piece of metal that aproximates the thickness of the outter barrel, and fills the entire void of the removed metal. Then it would be held in place by the set screw with a washer.

Here is a crude drawing of what Im thinking of for this repair.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ronin! That is basically what I was thinking of doing to fix it but I was thinking that that would be rather difficult with the tolerances on the Hop up unit inside the barrel. Do you think it would be possible to cut out that whole area and JB weld a small plate around the bottom half of the barrel and just drill into that? I think there might be enough space between the barrel and the fore grip for that to work...

·
Registered
209 Posts
What I would do, if I were to try this is to do a stock removal for the area that I needed.

Then I would create an insert with the correct set screw hole placement.

I would get another spacer, or washer that would go beyond the width of the spacer insert. The set screw would go through the washer, then through the insert and into the hop up chamber.

You would slide the hop up into the outter barrel, setting the insert in place in the groove of the outter barrel that you created.

Then the set screw with the larger washer would be tightened, holding everything in place.

The first insert would hold the hop up from going forward. While the washer would keep the whole assembly from twisting or slipping backwards.

Its a little detailed, but without knowing what the outter barrel is made of, I would hesitate to try to weld, solder or what ever to it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
In all honesty, i'm not much of a handy man. I install my upgrades, and that is about it. So what you are saving is, I need to set a new hole in my outer barrel?
What I did was, I put my hand rig on, and got it to where I could get the mag in, then pushed it as close to the holes as I could, and tighten the screws, which is the end, allowed me to fit the mags in, without having to do any welding etc.
Step by Step

Handgrip off
Move Handgrip LEFT towards end of barrel
Insert Mag until it gets to feeding point
Slide Handgrip back over to where it fits back into the holes where the Handgrip gets connected with the barrel/grip
Tighten screws.

Thats what I did to make my mag fit lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hoggie, I didnt suggest anything for your situation. Infact, I dont know what your talking about.

I was offering bobgengeskahn, some ideas on how to repair his gun and its problem. Since ya know, he was the OP on this thread. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok. But you didnt post anything like that. You posted what your gun has as far as upgrades. And you posted an invitation to skype. LoL, so, ya, I wasnt in tune with your inner voice. LoL, Sorry.

Bob, has any of this helped?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ahahahaha. Hey Ronin, what kind of spring would you suggest? I got the ECHO 1 ASR upgrade kit in it, but, that wrecks the Searing Set, so i'd like to change it. What are your choices/suggestions. I can only shoot 550 FPS aswell

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ronin! Actually, a lot of this has helped, but I also wanted to get some pictures out before I posted again, and since I was taking my barrel out tonight anyway to try and instal some barrel spacers (which didn't work) I took some pictures.

This is just the barrel without the hop up unit in. As you can see the barrel extends to the right and there is a slit where the small hole should be.

This is a picture of my temporary fix. I found a small stainless screw (not like the grub screws you get stock) and a washer that I used as a crush washer. It helped, but there is still some movement laterally.

Hoggie,

What happened to your sears? I am running a PSS 210 spring, PSS Piston, PSS Piston head, PSS APS Spring guide. The only stock parts I have are the cylinder body, cylinder head, bolt handle and trigger assembly. I'm shooting 600 and have had no issues... other than the hop up issue that I've posted here.

Edit: fixed picture links.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just have the upgrade kit from Echo1. And I have had no problems with my sears. I would be very interested in having a new set made by your friend if it were possible though. Ya know, just to have it. LoL.

Bob, you need to make an insert to fill that groove. That will stop the movement. Then put the washer over the insert, with the screw through the washer.

I updated the earlier drawing to help illustrate what I mean.

The insert will stop the side to side movement, and the washer will assist in stabilizing the front to back movement.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I test fit a mock up with a spacer last night, just to try a proof of concept; since I was installing barrel spacers anyway, and I discovered something very upsetting. I used the cylinder to push the hop up/barrel assembly in, that way it would be seated as far back as possible, and even with the hop up as far back as possible it still pinches the magazines! When I load a mag it goes in a little tight, but when I pull it out it likes to get stuck in the hop up chamber. Do you think I should cut the back of the chamber off?

Edit: By the way: Upsetting thing number 2, found out that the rear plug to my cylinder is coming loose :-[ I am debating JB weld for that though, because I really dont want to hunt for a compatable cylinder body when I haven't even figured out the rest of the gun yet lol.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My only thought about cutting the back of my chamber off is that the set screw already its so far back that if the hop up unit moved back anymore the set screw would be useless...

Another idea that I have been toying with is making a collar or spacer for the hop up unit itself and tapping a new hole further forward, securing the hop up from the front instead of the back. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.