Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Never heard of SOCOM....

I'm kind of excited for Echo 1, they seem to be a leading innovator as far as different gun styles go. I doubt I will get one, but that M82CQB looks sweet!

Phridum, I know you carried one around for awhile. Would you use one in airsoft?

sticks

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That is sweet ..... Really going to have to see how they turn out. May be a fun thing to get
:D

Would be able to make some really nice custom parts for it if needed.... Because I just ordered my metal lathe today
:D:D:D

That and they really aren't that hard to carry around.... Not much different from carrying a M249 with all the ammo. But the Barret is much more fun to shoot ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Woogie, we had an airshow. Some ARMY SF guys showed up to give a demonstration, after that we got to hold some captured/issued weapons. one of the guys said the M107 they had was 30lbs unloaded..... It felt allot heavier though, I'm thinking one of their BA's might be a little lighter, but I could be wrong. O yeah the Draganov is by far the most comfortable firearm I have ever handled....

sticks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While they overall weight doesn't seem all that heavy, it's not exactly comfortable to hump because all the weight is in the barrel. The rest of the gun is pretty much a hollow shell for the parts to bounce around it (a factor inherent to it's less than awesome accuracy). Also keep in mind that a full 10 round magazine weights about 10lbs too.

I'm going to have to heartily disagree in the similarities of carrying a SAW vs SASR. I humped it for our team and tried a couple different methods.

The generally accepted method was to break it down into it's two major parts, which basically was a 25lb upper and a 5lb lower, and pack them in a ruck. Dual Kifaru Gunbearers helped immensely in this regard. Four magazines were packed and it was assembled once established in your FFP. For security during movement, you still used your M16A4 and it's general accouterments. This was usually a AN-PVS14, 7-13 magazines, ACOG, PEQ2, rails, grips, etc. Now throw in enough water and food to keep you functional throughout the mission, the "command required" body armor, and various other mission essentials and your a hurting man.

Because of circumstances specific to our team, I needed to carry the PRC-119F radio as well. Our typical distance from friendly units required me to build our own antennas so I needed about 200 ft of 12ga speaker wire and some other radio shack parts (collectively called a FEAK), and one spare battery a day. All this stuff together meant for a quick and dirty 3 day mission, I was humping my body weight in equipment.

Spread-loading your equipment throughout your four man team is best, and we did. However, it was too much weight for me to remain combat effective. We often grabbed an eager young buck from another unit to tag-a-long near me to cover my security area on patrol. I stopped carrying my rifle and dropped a strap from the top of my ruck over my shoulder to carabiner to the front sling attachment point on the SASR. In my HSGI Wasatch I doubled the width of the magazine slots by cutting the divider on every other. I loaded up one magazine in the gun and carried three more on my chest.

It still took all my attention to man the radio while rucking that much weight and managing the rifle. It was a handy boomstick to have ready in the case of chance contact, but it limited our quick maneuvering options as a team. That's why it was better to take an extra man so I could focus on not being a liability more than trying to be vigilant as well.

To sum it up:
If I could afford it, I'd like to have an airsoft Barrett SASR. If you are going to field one for a game though, bring an extra man because it is an unwieldy weapon system...unless your a giant, but snipers usually aren't. If you usually roll alone, hook up with another lone sniper and leave the fieldcraft to him. If you usually have a sniper/spotter team, make it a trio. When you carry the SASR, your concern during movement is to not draw attention to yourself. It's tiring and you'll get tired quick.

It's also very hard on your back. For me, having the radio made it heavier over all, but it was worth it just for a counter-balance.

My honest opinion though is that this rifle is probably going to suck nuts. The real Barrett isn't a sniper rifle and this one won't be able to compare either. I have an inkling they are throwing a AEG gearbox in a Barrett shell and calling it a sniper rifle. My best hope is that it's at least a PSG-1 cloned box with a fair amount of aftermarket accessories.

If I were designing the rifle, it would fire 8mm BB's and would need enough power for a minimum engagement distance of 75 yards. The SASR is intended to be the cannon for the long range shot on a "hard" target. I would appreciate it if the airsoft version would embody that.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yeah they aren't anything that you wanna hump around I will totally agree with that. But then again the one that we had was bone naked... except for a lupy scope.... And then again my SAW had all kind of goodies on it
We rolled in RG-31's so the weight thing wasn't really an issue for us

Yeah unless this thing shoots ungodly well I can see it being up there with the other Barrett's.

Still saving up to get a real one ..... just gotta get the wife to ok it

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Wilson Combat WE Tech and I am less than impressed. But I feel it performs on par with it's price tag. Hopefully the Barrett will reflect it's price tag. I could see the company cashing in on the legend without trying to live up to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think redwolf says this will have a v2 gearbox, so accuracy or range wise you won't get any advantage over any well-built aeg, but you will get the disadvantage of a very ugly and awkward to carry weapon.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It does indeed look grim for this replica. Unless you can modify it to fit an upgraded Long-type V2 or a PSG1 gearbox I wouldn't even touch it. With all that room in there I bet it wouldn't be hard to make something happen.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, there is a lot of room inside, but it's not really suitable for most gear boxes. However, because of it's design (the fat tube/receiver) you might be able to install M249 style gearboxes in it, but I have no idea how they perform.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Those 'brick' type gearboxes are usually designed for high mileage at lower fps rather than fewer rounds at high power like a rifle would use. Plus, this Echo1 takes a V2 so I think a long type V2 should fit with little work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.socomgear.com/Doc/M82A1%20Manual.pdf

The manual has some pretty specific details on this. It's still considerably lighter than the real one, which a bit of a disappointment for a purist like me. The real one clocks in at about 14kg while this one is only 9kg (at about 2.2lbs per Kg)...unloaded.

The magazine appears to be a short M16/M4 20rd style high-cap holding 190rounds. The .50cal magazine is only a shell. The gearbox is also your standard M4 ver2 gearbox which they say is reinforced....but I think all gearboxes say that now. Because of this gearbox they couldn't resist making it full auto as well.

I think that was a poor move. This gearbox is one of the most familiar and easy to upgrade gearboxes, because it's intended to be a sniper rifle, you know people are going to upgrade the crap out of it so it works best in it's intended role. Just leave out the full auto option.

They also say the inner barrel is a tight bore by default. A Madbull one I think.

What I am very pleased to see is that they designed it so it can be broken down just like the real one. This will make transportation considerably easier as well as cleaning/polishing the barrel.

Some quick stats from the manual:

Inner barrel 650mm
Weight: 9.2kg (20.24lbs)
Assembled length: 145cm (57.08in or 4.7ft)
Takedown length: 95cm (37.4in or 3.1ft)
Muzzle velocity: 100m/s (328fps) with .25g
Effective range: 30 meters (100ft)
Maximum range: 50 meters (150ft)

A battery isn't included but the Madbull LiPoly is recommended, though not what size or amp or whatever all those stats are...It appears that all the space behind the trigger group and gearbox is empty (this is where the bolt recoils in the real steel) so I'm assuming you have a ton of space to put whatever kind of battery you want in it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I just wish they would make a nice rifle like this but in 8 mm .... And with out the price of the others... and what the hay ... why not some really nice heavy 8mm ammo.

So anyone got one yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.