Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Electric or Spring

Tags
sr25
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dragon64 
#1 ·
Now I know everyone has their own opinions on having a spring rifle such as the l96, or the m24. And everyone has their opinions on electric rifles, such as a sr25.

Im deciding whether to keep my upgraded l96, and continue to put upgrades into it. OR invest some money into an SR25 or any other electric rifle with upgrades. Could anyone give me some pros and cons to an electric rifle like the sr25?

Thanks to everyone.

#2 ·
Hey, read through this and see people opinions, it might help you out: http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=5095

Semi-automatic is of course much more practical, and people have built semi-automatic airsoft guns that can shoot just as well as bolt-actions, and in some cases even better. However, internally they are a lot more complicated with motors and batteries etc.
I use a bolt-action because I like the simplicity of it and the satisfaction of using one.

How upgraded is your L96? If it has lots of potential left then I would carry on upgrading it but it's up to you.

If you do get a DMR, you should definitely have a read through some threads here:http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43
and read this brilliant thread:http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=892

#3 ·
Bolt actions can be silenced to a near-inaudible level. Semi auto DMR's will have motor whine, but you can also make them pretty quiet, just not quite as quiet as Bolties. Also, Bolt actions have higher fps limits, semi-autos are usually allowed to shoot 450-500, while bolties are allowed to shoot 550 in most cases. However, semi's have a huge advantage in volume of fire downrange, and I can definitely see them being much more practical.

#4 ·
If you want to play as a sport, the AEG is the better tool, and there is no other way around that. It is stiller; the refire is needed in airsoft for a number of reasons.

Running mine with few modifications for stealth, and by few I mean none, it is a whisper at 30 feet or so, and certainly inaudible at 100.

FPS limits for bolt-actions and DMRs are not universal. I seem to find more fields that have sniper and rifle divisions, and do no really care how the velocity is achieved.

Maintenance is a chore though. There is a high chance of catastrophic failure in the gear box, especially with something like a V2 in the gun. There are feed problems, with heavy BBs. There are problems with the wobbly hopups and long barrels. But, they do not need to be very expensive. Even moderately decent parts will hold together well.

I also find DMRs are heavier on average, which might be a problem to boys with tiny, spaghetti arms.

So, if you want the best field profile, tool up a DMR.

#5 ·
There's also a LOT less to go wrong with a BASR. BASR's are like the AK while the AEG is like the AR. You can always rely on an AK over an AR, same apply's to the airsoft world. The BASR has a lot less to go wrong and is much more reliable. However the AEG is more practical. But hey! I have a G-Spec firing 330 (.20) fps getting 250 ft range with a .29 and if you adapt your tactics to the more.. un-orthodox ways of sniping, you can run around with other members of your team and be a VERY valuable asset to your team while being able to shoot the enemy with no MED. If our ancestors in the war years could fight wars with bolties, why can't we?

Zero

#6 ·
. If our ancestors in the war years could fight wars with bolties, why can't we?

Zero
I think you'll find most of the young chaps floating about here are of an American persuassion mate, which means their grandad had the Garand, very semi-auto, not like mine, who went storming houses in Monte-Cassino armed with his Lee-Enfield and 18" of cold steel :shrug:

He was in the 56th 'Black Cat' London Div, 42 Recce Regiment..... You couldn't get closer to the front line than he was without actualy crossing over it :yup: I've still got his cap badge and Recce regiment tie pin (thats on my boonie when I play.... call it my lucky charm :yup:) and miss his tales of daring do in Italy very much......

But anyway I digress, Yup, I know what you mean :tup:.......

Anyhoo, back on topic.... Most of what been spoke of already are wise words.

Its really down to how competent you feel at doing the upgrades if you go down the DMR route, you will also spend about 3x the length of time trying to achieve the same results you can get from a BASR.

Just lately I've been concentrating on my VSRs, just because I'd ran out of patience/where-with-all/money with my DMRs :doh: but sometimes a change is as good as a rest :tup:

#7 ·
I seem to had forgotten that at the time :doh: Lets be honest, the British government has always been tight on money! They even under-equip our troops to this day! :nuts:

I don't have a clue what regiment any of my grandparents we're in and it's a shame they're not around anymore to ask. Although my dad did fight in the Falklands, and have two brothers and one cousin all in the British army at the moment :tup:

Zero

#8 ·
Back on topic here, if you prefer to stick with a squad and perform better at ranges, the DM role is what you are looking for, and the DMR is the rifle you want. This will be the electric gun. Most fields have lower fps limits on guns that have a gearbox because it is easier to basically "tear" into someone with continuous fire than it is with a BASR. The complexity of gearboxes can be deterring to some, but realistically there is plenty of knowledge on the web to help you work on them. I took apart my first V2 gearbox and almost died when I saw everything inside of it. After my second or third one (and after viewing a handful of good videos on Youtube) I can get in and out of just about any gearbox in a half-hour or so if I've already shimmed it properly. If it needs to be shimmed, it will take me about an extra hour give or take. All gearboxes are the same in the aspect that they have the same working internal gears across all gearboxes.

BASR's are much more for the lone wolf. If you like hiking the fields tapelines and silently ambushing a group of people, this is your role. With the usual FPS limits being significantly higher, you can expect a better range and accuracy as long as the upgrades are done properly.

You can, however, cross roles more easily with the DMR compared to the BASR. All rifles aside from support guns have the ability to shoot in semi auto. Some modifications can even make your gun shoot in semi-auto only. You may not get the same range as a BASR in most cases, but you will still have the consistency and accuracy of your shots, as well as a much smaller MED.

#9 ·
I aksed my son the same question when he decided he wanted us to get another sniper rifle together with me... I said; do you want Gas, Electric or a Bolt Action(?) He said he did not want to have to charge batteries or fool with stinky gas... that narrowed our search to choosing a bolt action we both liked. Even though the SVD is commonly known for being a semi-automatic rifle, my son and I opted to get matching A&K SVD Dragunovs... and these are the bolt action variants.

Airsoft bolt action rifles are generaly more consistant than gas, and slightly more powerful (out of the box) than an AEG. Unless you opt for a Tokyo Marui VSR-10 or L96, that shoot less than 290 fps out of the box. My son and I were introduced to airsoft when we purchased WELL L96 rifles together on a hard to beat deal ($110 ea), and these rifle were shooting 400+ fps right out of the box. I learned a few do-it-yourself mods, and these rifles shot accurately and consistantly. My son still has his, and it is a nice rifle. I have a couple reviews on the rifle on my youtube channel. With the acquisition of the A&K rifles, I expect the same results that we saw with the WELL L96 rifles.

Good luck with your selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.