Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
527 Posts
Joule creep certainly happens, and I have documented it too. It also totally stands to reason. It is something we factored for at the field here, and with AEGs any creep was within tolerances. But a I hear the recent additions of many high-end gas guns has made the creep out of hand (a guy got a bb buried through his nose), well beyond the amount we were expecting with AEGs.

From every ounce of physics intuition I have, I have to say the heavier BB being more dangerous on impact is crap; given the same surface area, X-Joules is always X-Joules, a 0.20 at X-Joules is just as stingy as an 0.40 at X-Joules.

Regulating this is just as tricky if you gauge by FPS or Joules. Really how you measure it doesn't really matter, since either way you have to track the force that will be used on a field. So, I think the best method is for the chrono to use a heavier BB than 0.20 and when choosing the safe limit, remember that it must be safe at point blank, at just beyond the MED.

· Registered
527 Posts
Why?......
Inertia. Though they might have the same force in them, the heavier BB's has a higher inertia and thus is more resistant to forces acting on it (air resistance) than a lighter bb.

I agree 100%, the problem is the heavier bb carries its energy farther. If a gun fires a 0.25g bb at 3.52j muzzle energy, and another fires a 0.43g bb at 3.52j muzzle energy they will both hurt the same at the muzzle. At 100 feet it is a much different result. ...
Oh yes yes, but the inertia of the ball is a matter for the MED, not the chrono limit.

Giving different weights different MEDs is problematic. It is almost entirely unenforceable, but it means players don't know what to expect on the field. Let me take Player Bogey. Player Bogey is a young man, and when he plays he gets excited, and when he gets excited, he stops breathing as much or something and gets a bit stupid.

So, Player Bogey is on a field where most guys are using heavy weight bbs and highly tuned guns, and their MED is, say, 35 feet, as is his. He assaults something, and someone has his 0.20 CQB gun with a MED of 10 feet, and at about 15 or 12, feet. Which would be fair enough, but Bogey is expecting 35 feet. He gets cross. Many problems arise. Things get a bit punchy.

Joule Creep is a part of physics and will always happen in the gun. I think the best way is chrono with a heavier bb and ban guns that can not be regulated. There is no sympathy for the man who brings an untrustworthy rig, for he is known by his targets.

· Registered
527 Posts
I agree 100%, the problem is the heavier bb carries its energy farther. If a gun fires a 0.25g bb at 3.52j muzzle energy, and another fires a 0.43g bb at 3.52j muzzle energy they will both hurt the same at the muzzle. At 100 feet it is a much different result. ...
Oh yes yes, but the inertia of the ball is a matter for the MED, not the chrono limit.

Giving different weights different MEDs is problematic. It is almost entirely unenforceable, but it means players don't know what to expect on the field. Let me take Player Bogey. Player Bogey is a young man, and when he plays he gets excited, and when he gets excited, he stops breathing as much or something and gets a bit stupid.

So, Player Bogey is on a field where most guys are using heavy weight bbs and highly tuned guns, and their MED is, say, 35 feet, as is his. He assaults something, and someone has his 0.20 CQB gun with a MED of 10 feet, and at about 15 or 12, feet. Which would be fair enough, but Bogey is expecting 35 feet. So he gets cross. Many problems arise. Things get a bit punchy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.