Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Yeah, I hear that more sites are going for that, and I would like to see a joule limit come into effect here too. It would mean that I couldn't use my little "trick" any longer, but it IS safer.
Absolutely agreed. I tried to change my local community rules to Joule limit, not "FPS with .20" limit for a long time.. then I applied that "if you can't beat them, join them" kind of thing, so my actual gun is one of the greates energy creepers I've ever seen, as it shoots 3.34J when chronoing (600FPS with .20s), and a little over 5J when out in the field (520 FPS with .40s). Of course I use twice the MED required by the rules, but I still think it would be better and safer to use a Joules limit.

"Energy creep" is a big deal in our gun's range, coming second only to a great hop up configuration. To increase it you can use:
- The heavier bbs you could find (for snipers, .43 or .40s if you don't like black bbs).
- A correct piston compression pattern. (look for acceleration patterns)
- A better cylinder to barrel volume ratio. It's not the shorter barrel, it's the relation between the volume (ID and lenght) of your barrel vs the volume in your cylinder.
- CO2 guns. As the CO2 expands unlike compressed air (either from HPA setup or the standard springer/AEG), it provides a greater push when using heavier bbs.
- If your field chronoes without hop up applied, you can use a hop up setup that loose a lot of air between the bb and the rubber when no hop is applied, but provides more FPS when you dial in the correct configuration. Flat hops are great for that.

And a lot of other little details.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Surely my concerns are well understood, I'm not attacking anyone in specific, just voicing my concerns for the safety and continuation of the sport we all love.
I understand, and I have the same concern. I spent two years trying to change that rule, but every single time I posted about this topic, someone from our community's directive committee would close the thread and ask me not to speak about it in public. Then I've found out they were using it themselves. Furthermore, one of them have moded the hop chamber to loose a lot of air when not active (as we crono with no hop) but seal a lot better when dialed in, so he was cronoing 600/.20, perfectly legal down here, then it would reach 650~660/.20 when setting the hop where he would use it.
It's time for elections, so I'm hoping the next Committee will address this issue instead of abusing it.

That being said, energy creep is real, whether we talk about it or not. The whole reason for KJW M700 popularity is the energy creep it gets just from using gas. And somehow the G&G G96 takes that to a whole new level, as it shoots >500/.43 right out of the box (my gun is just a regular G96 with mods for precision and a CO2 setup for a power downgrade and better consistency, I did nothing for the purpose of energy creeping) But every G96 owner out there is a big energy creeper, the only difference is that most of them don't even know it. And that's the dangerous part. And so are a lot of other popular guns and mods.

On most places the rules are set considering this issue, but as I said, the only way to ensure players safety would be to set a Joules limit cronoing with the bb weight and hop seting we are going to use in the field (not "FPS with xx grams" like most places currently have)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.