Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Everything you need to know about a Longrange AEG.

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Wandall 
#1 ·
Alright, well let me start off here and quick, like any other devision of sniping or marksmanship, precision shooting with an AEG is probably one of the worst, I say this because we AEG shooters have many variables to worry about, those include:
-More noise (Gears and motor)
-More to worry about (having a battery and knowing what size is right for you)
-Gearbox issues (Exactly what gearboxes will handle)
-Precision (What makes a long range AEG, a long range AEG)

in the next few moments, I'll explain some common questions as well as answers for upgrading and better understanding a long rage AEG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-More Noise
The fact that AEG's have winding motors as well as turning gears, we make more noise on the field, and in airsoft. Noise is 70% of the battle, chances are if your running around with a few mags full of loose bb's and a little baggy that isn't air sealed, you'll make some noise. The most common problem however is simply the motor turning, this is the reason that most people go to simple one shot rifle shooting, because the only sound is the bb leaving the barrel, and with a silencer, you won't make a peep.

There is nothing that you can do about this, to my knowledge there is no motor that will sound quieter than any other type, just make sure it's the proper distance, because a little bit of tweaking could take down a lot of the noise that a motor will make, and still hold the same amount of power.

More to worry about:

The fact that AEG's have more parts and pieces to them then a sniper rifle is also a big thing, many parts are more prone to being broken and on the spot repairs are very hard unless you really know what your doing, try to ensure that your battery is always charged up and you never half cock your weapon, by half cock I mean shooting your weapon with a low power of battery, thus pulling it only half way back and locking up the gears, this is a real pain and I've seen it at least a couple times at every operation I've attended.

Gearbox Issues:

Gearbox's have a lot of parts, if your extremely savvy with them, you should completely skip this portion, but if you don't know what the heck a bevel gear is or a shim job, then read on. Majority of airsofters shoot a version 2 gearbox, which is good because if you have a friend or two chances are they'll have a few spare parts for one around should your gearbox go down. The biggest problem with high powered AEG's is simple gears breaking or the shell cracking, these problems can be avoided by getting a bigger sized gearbox shell. Use this as a rough guide

6mm gearbox: Has the ability to handle just about any stock spring out there, it should be able to take an M120 if you don't go full auto every three seconds, and if you can stay away from full auto all together, you should have no worries with a 6mm gearbox

7mm gearbox: This is a touch bigger, these gearboxes have the capability to hold an M170 so long as your not a full auto fanatic, an M140 is a good compromise spring to put in it

8mm gearbox: These suckers are the prime of the prime, they can handle any spring on the market and are usually covered with warranties. However they will run a few hundred for just the shell and spring guide, so expect to shell some some cash (No pun intended)

Some other things to look at is also what are some other upgrades that I should get to ensure that I am out shooting any stock or small upgraded AEG? well these upgrades are stuff you should look into:
-Tight bore
-Bore up Kit
-High Powered Spring
-Better motor
-Reinforced Gears
-Silent Piston head
-Firefly Bucking

There are also many other things that will help increase accuracy and precision, but those are a few helpful items that will more than likely allow you to hit targets with some good range.

Precision:

Just because your rifle can shoot an easy 80 something yards, doesn't mean it'll accurately do it. Always spend a good 5 minutes shooting your rifle before each and every game, maybe shooting anywhere from 1-100 rounds, just to tune and make sure that your hop up is right with the weight of bb as well as the grouping being nice. I would much rather want a 1 inch grouping at 55 yards than a 5 foot grouping at 80 yards, as I'm sure we all would. But just make sure, because many times this is another common problem that snipers will forget to do, and upon catching a target in their sights, they take a shot trusting that their hop up is consistent with last time, and find their bb fly across the field in the other direction. It's just another helpful reminder.

As more necessities come up I will add them, if you wish to add your own two cents, I'll either delete your post and copy the information in here as well as give you credit or just delete your post because you've given out bad information. Any AEG can be converted into a fine piece of work, you just have to know how to do it, I'm looking forward to seeing each and everyone of your own masterpieces on the field,

-Mosin

See less See more
#3 ·
1" @ 55yds is pretty much impossible with 99% of airsoft guns...

although, I have achieved an 8" grouping at 100yds (measured) with my old M82 :(

my new one comes NO WHERE even close to that. not even sure if it can make it to that range... thats why ive got a guy making a custom tightbore for me

#4 ·
Yeah, a 1" grouping at 55 yards is quite literally impossible, it was mainly a figure of speech. However I can hit a man sized target 9/10 times from 55 yards away with my Offizier.

EDIT: Pearl, that is friggen sick. If I ever achieved close to that I would cry with joy.

G
#6 ·
Ok, I was kinda wondering about the accuracy. I didn't think I would be able to get a DMR that accurate. Thanks for the info, and is it true that one day when I decide to buy a vfc barrett, that there are only 99, and not 100 to search for? Thanks a lot...

#7 ·
Nah, I played with my post count to make it OVER 9000! and my Karma is the meaning to life. I think my real karma is like 8 or 9 and my real post count is maybe 200. But I too would cry and probably press charges, because that's definatly something bad. I would probably kill for a VFC, however I don't think it will be long before I get my hands on one. I'm looking to get rid of my Offizier at the moment as well as my PSP, assuming they both sell, I'm over half way to getting it. Then if I actually get close, I'll sell the Maruzen APS and buy it. Hopefully if things go as planned I could have one probably by middle of summer next year, just a few weeks before I ship out to basic.

#10 ·
ninj4, this is your 2nd warning due to necro posting. You have posted into a thread with last post being older than two months. Please read forums posting rules to avoid these misstakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.