Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , i know my left eye , is my dominant eye , but the problem is that im right handed , what do you guys suggest ?

i was thinking of learning on my next skirmishes to be left handed with my rifle , or maybe using my rifle with my right hand but using my left eye to aim?

But since there are some of you with real experience , i think you might know what to do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ruizg said:
or maybe using my rifle with my right hand but using my left eye to aim?
I would not suggest using your left eye and right hand because you will have to crane your neck (causes instability during shooting, you need to be as relaxed and using as few muscles as possible) and or cant the rifle (ok in real life, doesnt work so well with a hop up).

phridum said:
Start wearing a patch over your dominant eye and you might train the other to take over some.
Though the chicks might dig the eye patch, you'll have to constantly retrain your eye to change dominance, it if that's even feasible. By attempting to retrain it you'll be fighting years of everyday habit formed as a young'n. As someone who is certified to teach basic rifle courses I suggest that you start training to shoot with your left eye and left hand. I'm left handed but right eye dominate so I shoot with my right eye/right hand.

Eye dominance isn't really an issue in life until you start aiming at things. Try pointing at things with your finger and then close one eye and then change eyes. By using your non dominate eye after you have already pointed, you'll notice that you will be off by a bit. At longer distances the amount of error will become greater. This is why it is important to use your dominate eye.
Alot more people than you would think are left eye dominate. Most people assume that since they are right handed that they are right eye dominate.

Things to anticipate when you make your switch if you so choose to do:
-It will feel very awkard. Basicaly you'll have to relearn trigger, hold, and aim control
-If target shooting, your score will decrease while you get used to shooting left handed
-Your sights will be off

But the end result (which will take time) will be worth it and you'll be able to make greater gains in the long run as a shooter due to your body naturally wanting to aim with your dominate eye.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Eh, I go with Phridum on this one. If you're left eye dominate, and you shoot right handed, either learn to switch eyes, or suck it up. In your case, it'd be easier to shoot right handed (Because you already can) and all you'd need to do is fix your eye to only open on the right. In boot camp we had this problem with a lot of sailors and the instructors just told them to try and work through it, and eventually it will come natural to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have a friend help you out. Stand about 20 feet apart.

First your going to have your friend point his index finger to his nose so that you have something to focus on.

Next, with your hands down, make a diamond in between your hands like so...

Then with both eyes open raise your hands in front of you.

It's a little blurry but can you see which eye I am dominate in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.