Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

First Sniper - budget $600

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around $600 to spend. I'm okay with teaching a bit. I know how to solder, shim stuff, etc. Never done a ton but I don't mind figuring it out.

Right now the srs a2/m2 sport is in stock at redwolf for $380. I love the look and have heard great things. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find someone to try it out in person on if I like the feel of it.

Ssg a1/a3. Love the look of the a3 ($480) but I'm guessing its not worth the premium over getting the a1 ($300) and using the extra saved money for upgrades.

Cyma vsr-10 ($100) plus upgrading. I don't know what upgrades I need but that would leave me $400-$500 for upgrades.

Anyone have experience with a few of these and offer any insight? Especially between srs and vsr platforms. I guess the most important is which would be the best gun for the best price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Cyma vsr and upgrade it yourself.
You'll learn how to tech and the correlation between each piece and the performance it gives, plus teching is a nice fun aspect of airsoft.

Learn your rifle, don't waste time on off the shelf "pre upgraded" pieces of wank.

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
The SRS isn't bad. Its perfectly capable of skirmishing right out of the box with a little TLC. Its just awkward to use as its a bullpup and its on the heavy side.

Reactions: SiliconeSword

·
proverbial discord mod wannabe
1,028 Posts
The SRS isn't bad. Its perfectly capable of skirmishing right out of the box with a little TLC. Its just awkward to use as its a bullpup and its on the heavy side.
The main reason I recommended a VSR style rifle is because I feel that it would be much more beneficial to learn to use and tech on a vsr10 rather than an srs.
There's simply a lot more info on vsr10s and they are less complicated rifles than the srs. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wouldn't buy an SRS unless you've held,shot and reloaded one as they can be a bit awkward and not to everyone's taste. But have heard they shot great with some tweaks.

Going to play devil's advocate and say AAC T11 or wait and see when the new silverback tac rifle is due out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't buy an SRS unless you've held,shot and reloaded one as they can be a bit awkward and not to everyone's taste. But have heard they shot great with some tweaks.

Going to play devil's advocate and say AAC T11 or wait and see when the new silverback tac rifle is due out.
I saw the advertisements for the silverback tac. Will that be its own proprietary platform or will it work with other aftermarket parts well? Or is it just a wait and see on that because nothing has been confirmed?

·
proverbial discord mod wannabe
1,028 Posts
I saw the advertisements for the silverback tac. Will that be its own proprietary platform or will it work with other aftermarket parts well? Or is it just a wait and see on that because nothing has been confirmed?
Proprietary, but still very good internals.
No need to upgrade the trigger and cylinder set.
Barrel and Bucking are aeg compatible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SSG was worth its price when cost of A1 on black Friday was like 250euro.
Still needs upgrades because of prod issues.
I bought three and each has issues.
I had top VSR built by VSR genius but I didn't like it's length with suppressor.
Wanted to try SRS so sold VSR to my friend.
I've already spent about 800euro for my M2 sport SRS and all upgrades. Is it worth? I don't know, but I like experience things by myself.
SRS has some advantages over VSR like it is more quiet, easier to work on
VSR is lighter, has just one best hopup unit and has better magazines.

Wysłane z mojego KB2000 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
589 Posts
SRS M2 easily. It's light (at 2.5 kg) or so and it's a bullpup so the weight is much more laid back and comfortable than a VSR in weight distribution, although racking the bolt is a bit unconventional and needs time to learn how to. Basic access to cylinder assembly is the simplest among rifles and barrel disassembly is easy as well.
It's easily the least problematic gun with no real need in upgrades to make it shoot REALLY straight, the only thing other than the airbrake which makes your rifle stupidly quiet is to lubricate the receiver with dry PTFE spray made by WD40 to keep it smooth.

You'll only save a tiny bit of money with the VSR than going for the SSG10, assuming you go for a full upgrade route and be lucky enough to not run into other compatibility issues/annoying troubleshooting issues, for companies like Maple Leaf/Action Army sometimes not mentioning the specs of their parts or just flat out lied about compatibility (for instance the Maple Leaf receiver is actually a bit off-spec in outer barrel screw length than others), all the while the SRS beats both in external qualities easily. Playing with the upgrade route was the only option years ago, but with the advent of SSGs and the likes this is pretty much an option I'll suggest only if you have the time to fiddle with parts and won't grief over wasted money and wasted time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honestly the SRS is the best of the 3 for performance and ease of learning to tech. The only thing you really need is a metric Allen key set and you are gold. Using all Silverback parts can get you the consistency and lift of all the other guns listed, and in some cases it will do it better, plus it is dead silent. That being said they do have some drawbacks, mostly in the bolt pull and the reload. The bolt gets sticky unless you use a thicker lubricant like lithium grease to overcome the metal on metal and does require more aftercare on the bolt. The mag release is also a pain unless you have monster hands, but the real one is like that too I guess.

Both SSG platforms are ready out of the box for play without teching and they can be upgraded, but at that point you just buy the Cyma VSR and buy so many upgrade parts it just becomes the body being Cyma anymore.

It really depends on how you are looking to play and what you are looking to do with the rifle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Neat. There's a bunch of good compression set parts for the SRS out there.
I am just hoping it keeps the stealth shot aspect of the SRS. The piston can be interchanged with the VMP and the air break cup is compatible. The only thing they changed was the spring setup because the cylinder volume is different. The hop up unit seems pretty proprietary too but it's such a fine tuned system I don't think it will matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly the SRS is the best of the 3 for performance and ease of learning to tech. The only thing you really need is a metric Allen key set and you are gold. Using all Silverback parts can get you the consistency and lift of all the other guns listed, and in some cases it will do it better, plus it is dead silent. That being said they do have some drawbacks, mostly in the bolt pull and the reload. The bolt gets sticky unless you use a thicker lubricant like lithium grease to overcome the metal on metal and does require more aftercare on the bolt. The mag release is also a pain unless you have monster hands, but the real one is like that too I guess.

Both SSG platforms are ready out of the box for play without teching and they can be upgraded, but at that point you just buy the Cyma VSR and buy so many upgrade parts it just becomes the body being Cyma anymore.

It really depends on how you are looking to play and what you are looking to do with the rifle.
I think ultimately I will end up with both a VSR-10 and an SRS in the long run because my buddy wants to snipe too and we can swap off who uses what. the SRS does sound a little more tempting to start with. How do you feel about the TAC 41 that Blackdog mentioned. Is there merit in just holding off on my sniping journey for that?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think ultimately I will end up with both a VSR-10 and an SRS in the long run because my buddy wants to snipe too and we can swap off who uses what. the SRS does sound a little more tempting to start with. How do you feel about the TAC 41 that Blackdog mentioned. Is there merit in just holding off on my sniping journey for that?
The Tac41 will change the way companies make sniper rifles imo. It has a huge amount of innovations and uses SRS parts along with some proprietary, but if it is as quiet as the SRS (no one knows, due out sometime this year) then it will probably be the go to. 48 round magazine plus a 350 USD price tag and a lightweight body will dominate sniping imo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Tac41 will change the way companies make sniper rifles imo. It has a huge amount of innovations and uses SRS parts along with some proprietary, but if it is as quiet as the SRS (no one knows, due out sometime this year) then it will probably be the go to. 48 round magazine plus a 350 USD price tag and a lightweight body will dominate sniping imo.
That sounds pretty tempting. Since I'm ultimately going to have 2x snipers. I'm probably going to get either a Cyma VSR-10 or an SRS Sport and upgrade it right now, then wait for reviews on the Tac41 before making my second sniper choice. Thanks for all your insight. It's much appreciated along with everyone else in this thread!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, does anyone know of any way to get Silverback SRS stuff to the US without paying exorbitant shipping fees (as Evike seems to be out of stock)? Or do I just need to suck it up and make sure when I order off Redwolf, that I order any Silverback specific accessories along with the gun to avoid paying double shipping?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sounds pretty tempting. Since I'm ultimately going to have 2x snipers. I'm probably going to get either a Cyma VSR-10 or an SRS Sport and upgrade it right now, then wait for reviews on the Tac41 before making my second sniper choice. Thanks for all your insight. It's much appreciated along with everyone else in this thread!
you won't make a mistake with any VSR10 basis, it is pretty solid for begining and has many possibilities for further upgrades =)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also, does anyone know of any way to get Silverback SRS stuff to the US without paying exorbitant shipping fees
Shipping fees are fixed prices. Very rarely i 've seen a discount so far in those hyperbolic fees by postal services. Most likely to get a product discount than a shipping discount.
Nevertheless there is a way. A private way. An individual (relative, friend etc) that travels from E.U to U.S.A can buy it for you and bring it to you in his luggage. Before you do this ask for custom procedures, Transport Security Administration (Transportation Security Administration | Transportation Security Administration) and the airliner about importing airsoft "toys" to your country. Novritsch got his airsoft gear (gun, HPA tank etc) from his country to California.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts