Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey, Nice to have a new member.

I have the answer to your question.

But first, please realize that this board is run at a bit of a higher standard than most forums. So the members here police the posts very activly to be sure that that level of quality is maintained. Its nothing personal, but we all have a nice house here, and we all help keep it that way, if you know what I mean.

Now the answer to your question about the fishing line test.

Go to the original post and press CTRL F . This will open the microsoft inbeded search function in explorer. Then you can type in Fishing. I did this and was able to locate every instance of the word "fishing" in the text of the thread. Then you will discover a link, to a post explaining the whole concept of the "fishing line test".

I give you this information in the spirit of "teach a man to fish and you feed him for life, give him a fish, and you only feed him for one meal."

Enjoy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did not know about "CTRL F"... Learned something new today

I eventually found the "fishing line test" and I understood all the vibration stuff, but the actual description of the test itself has left me much confused ???
I can't picture (in my head) what he is doing.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Looks like DIY upgrades for under $20.00.

Some of these can help, but that's mainly if you've got the patience of well... a sniper. I've tried a few of these mods throughout my years, when I originally started with a UTG M324 (The original one). The only thing that I think you should be careful of is that packing into the actual stock. Fortunately majority of these problems us Maruzen shooters don't have to worry about, because that's already packed solid. But for the hollow frames I can see how it would help.

To answer your question, I read through the whole thing and didn't see anything about fishing line tests. All the guy talks about is how to upgrade a stock MK96, which I give him credit he more or less fixes things that the factory fails to fix in the first place. Which is great if you're a handyman, but if you're like me then you just like to install things the way it's supposed to be and fire it. That's about the extent of my knowledge, I mean yeah I know the basic diagnostics on all my stuff if things don't work correctly for the most part. But I still have to look up stuff like this.

I've personally done the teflon mods before, and yeah it helped for the first mag or two, but then the teflon started ripping and would fall apart in the barrel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"In the end I did the "Fishing Line Barrel Test" with all spacer mods I tried. With this test I place the barrel on a wood table. I sit in a chair and scoot up to the table. I hold 2 ends of 2lb fishing line that is 12" in length and rest 1/4 of the end of the barrel on the line raised slightly higher with the other end resting on the table. I than kick the bottom of the table hard and you can feel the vibrations through the sensitive fishing line. I thank Roy King Tactical Firearm Works and The Ballistic Edge for showing me this while I was in Advanced Long Range Marksman class as I use this with all "Real Firearm" barrels that I buy. Out of all the tests and spacer mods I did, the paper wrap method resulted in the most vibration quite honestly. Don't get me wrong the paper method cuts down on vibration, but it does a poor job of it. it is a hard to hard connection... Nothing will kill all vibration totally, what you are trying to accomplish is deterring vibrations that it does make to not multiply and bounce off one another. So the intial shock/ vibration from the piston will produce a pronounced shock, but with an effective harmonic barrel dampening system, the vibes will instantly die which will result in less sustaining vibration as the round passes down the barrel. I may not know alot about Airsoft guns right now, but you can hit me with anything about real world firearms and I can tell just about anything you need to know. I am 33 years old and been around the block a time or two so you can say. "

referenced from Zero Wolf's reply to kovic's mk96 topic, dated 24 Dec 2009.

·
Registered
445 Posts
chiba said:
I than kick the bottom of the table hard and you can feel the vibrations through the sensitive fishing line.
I can see bad things happening to my gun with this, and I do not want to drop it and break off of a 3 foot drop.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I still don't quite get it. I mean the barrel will sway no matter how you tap the table. Does he mean that you'll actually feel the fishing line vibrate while the barrel sways? Wouldn't that be normal?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You don't raise the line high enough for the barrel to really sway. As long as there is only one end of the barrel touching the table, you are good to go. Holding it a few inches off the table surface would do.

If it did sway, I would doubt if you could actually feel it, obviously you would see it sway, but not feel it. It wouldn't be enough to make the line vibrate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.