Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Fixed hop up

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  woogie 
#1 ·
Ok hear me out guys.....

If you were able to get a fixed hop up for your VSR style of rifle would you? There are many pro's as well as cons to this style of hop up, so what say you?

Pros

Once set you don't have to worry about it moving
No moving parts
Easy to replace if wears out
Typically longer to hold the barrel better
Tuned for one weight of ammo

Cons

Can't adjust it
It is tuned to one weight of ammo

So what do you guys think? I am thinking about trying to make a custom hop chamber that is just this..... a fixed hop up unit. I am going to try and get the rifle tuned to possibly my BioVol .27's.

Then play with a few different things to see if that would be able to make a few small adjustments for some fine tweaking.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you have a favorite bb and you are sure it is the kind you will always use, go for the fixed hop. I use a bunch of different ones so I need to adjust it sometimes.

#5 ·
Yeah I am planning on using a G-spec rifle, and making it a scout rifle. So I can get it and take the shot, and out in a hurry. That and I wont be weighed down by a ton of stuff either.

I really don't like hop ups that move... and honestly every hop up does. And to me this is just a huge no no when it comes to a precision rifle. If you can eliminate that factor then you can have a spot on rifle each time.

And why do you use a bunch of different ammo? To me personally it would seem that you are having to do a ton of adjustments to the hop up to get it to work correctly with a said weight. Why not take that factor out and just use one ammo :D

#6 ·
What I did, because I'm using the tdc mod, is I made a few markings on the screw I'm using and a marking on the stock. I line up the first one for my .25s, the second for my .3s, etc. I use different weights because if I am just shooting targets, I might use lighter or heavier bbs so I know the characteristics of all of them. That way if I am forced for whatever reason to use a different bb than normal, I will have no problem adjusting. I recently got the r-hop though so it's going to be fun tuning that.

#9 ·
For the most part, once you find an fps you like, or a spring you like, you aren't going to change. Unless of course you use a more powerful spring for target practice, which some of my friends do. But really, if you do that, it's not really practice, is it?

#11 ·
Since I am planning on making the rifle into a scout rifle, I am not needing it to shoot extremely fast. I am thinking around the 400 fps range, but I am going to do as much as I can for accuracy. I do have just about a full bag of .27's that I am going to use, due to them being AWESOME.

Let me play with it for a little bit dragon, and if I can get something that I am happy with I will see what I can't do to make you one as well.

#15 ·
Let me play with it for a little bit dragon, and if I can get something that I am happy with I will see what I can't do to make you one as well.
Yeah, it is mainly a diameter change for the M28 as you well know. Looking forward to your work on this one project.

#12 ·
#17 ·
Masterjuggler98 - In that thread that cheeseman said that 400fps is 'optimum' for a heavier (quoted 0.43) bb.

Cheeseman wrote:

True, so the optimal fps for a .4 bb is closer to 400/.2

I have found this (approximately) holds true:

.27 - 325/.2

.3 - 350/.2
.32 - 355/.2
.36 - 375/.2
.4 - 390/.2
.43 - 400/.2
Also there's no explanation in that thread just an assertion ('do the proper modifications' is not an explanation unless the mods are explained, I would be interested in a proper explanation though). However it would appear that he believes 400fps is close to optimum for 0.4 bb's.

Everything I have ever read online (but particularly this: http://mackila.com/airsoft/ATP/) suggests that heavier bb's are better (so long as the hop is good enough to get the correct trajectory!) since they are subject to less air resistance (as they are slower) so keep their energy for longer and that they are less blown off course by the wind. However others have said that the 0.4g bb's are more variable and so they prefer to use lighter (but higher quality) bb's say 0.3 marushin super grand master or bbbastards etc.

So: 400fps still seems a decent choice for upgrading. But as always the main thing is not just the FPS but a whole host of other factors.

#18 ·
I think I have explained myself on that one: When you shoot a bb at high speed, any imperfections on the bb that would otherwise be minor will exacerbate the wobbliness of the flight path. That, combined with the instability imparted by a conventional hop system will not allow the bb to fly as far in an accurate manner because the wobbles and unstable spin will cause it to deviate from its course.

I use high quality .3s, but I also run an fps that I have found to be optimal for that weight of bb.

No offense meant or taken, by the way.

#19 ·
He did in fact explain it in the thread I linked to. He also said 400 is optimal with .2g because the heavy .4 will bring it down to 300.

#20 ·
2 separate points:

Firstly: Masterjuggler - You just said that 300fps was optimum for accuracy. I am pointing out that 400 is in fact better (if you use a 0.4, but lower if you use a 0.27). Just trying to give a complete picture.

---

Cheeseman: Glad no offence taken, none is taken.

I guess the bit I struggle with is that everything anywhere else I have read on the net says that to hit someone (and have the feel it) at 80 to 100m (300 feet) requires 450 to 500fps. You seem to be saying that its not just possible with 325 but better.

You state: "the bb coming out of the 300fps rifle will have a useable range that is longer than the bb coming out of the 500fps rifle (assuming, of course, that you do the proper modifications, etc.)"

What's not clear is what the proper modifications are exactly. Since that thread is meant to be a guide to upgrading it seems odd to omit possibly the most important bit of information. Since just throwing £400 of laylax parts into it doesn't seem to be most important part...

#21 ·
The proper modifications involve the R-hop and an LRB setup. There is a wealth of information all over the internet that pertains to hop systems and other modifications that stabilize the barrel assembly and therefore the bb (barrel spacers, etc.)

The only way to use a bb flying at 300 fps is to have a very stable and consistent backspin, which requires at the very least an R-hop, and for extreme range, even more. Feeling it is another matter entirely...

#22 · (Edited)
Polarstar had two prototype VSR-10 hop up chambers.
One was a fixed hop up unit and ben from Polarstar said it was amazing.
However, they chose not to produce and new VSR parts after releasing the Fusion Engine.

Woogie, I think it's a great step forward in hop up units and if you could make one I would be very interested! You could perhaps even contact Polarstar Airsoft and see if they will tell you about the prototype they made? ;)

#23 ·
I may try and contact Ben over at P* and see what they say.

And can we keep this about the hop chamber guys ;) I am going to be running the rifle no more than 400 fps with .20's and I am planning on running my .27's.

If a mod could move the last couple of threads before Milo's over to Cheeses' thread it would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.