Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

New here, thought I would pass this along. It is a computer simulation program designed by some guys on another forum I am (or was) active on called spudfiles. The forum revolves around all kinds of potato cannons, however there is a small contingent of airsoft people there that like to scale down the pneumatic stuff and are self proclaimed "air-smiths". Anyways, this is a link to the program on the pages Wiki

http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php?title=GGDT

As a side note, I have not had the chance to use it on a regular basis since I run on a Mac and the program is designed for windows... but its a great tool for calculating range, flow rates etc. and should be a very useful tool in deciding ideal Chamber to Barrel ratio

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That is really neat. I was into pneumatics back in middle and highschool with paintball, before Airsoft got big. I recall doing a project about air smiths in the eighth grade.

I've been thinking about making some sort of compression tester for my rifle, useless if you have a chronograph, but unfortunately I do not have one. Or something that goes over the cylinder head and tests the draw of the piston.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm, that is an interesting idea... off the top of my head: you could probably design some kind of syringe that when secured to the nossle would pull a piston back whe you cock the cylinder... this wold accurately check chamber size at least, and you could probably add something to measure the force at the nossle when fired. the normal method (liquid volume, oil etc.) of checking cylinder volume is a little deceving if you have a bored out cylinder head since at rest there would still be "dead space" between the piston head and where the BB would be. So with this syringe concept you would probably have a better idea of exactly how much air you are moving and if it is consistant... again, thats just off the top of my head, not sure how practical it would be...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've had a hunch for a while that the Teflon cylinder Laylax makes has worse compression than a stainless cylinder. That would be a good tool to test my theory.

I've tried boring cylinder heads with poor results, but there has got to be a proper balance using that flow tool you're talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.