Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what type of bullet to shoot from an upgraded rifle? Right now I'm shooting .20's at around 408 (400 fps rifle). But after upgrades I'm expecting about 480 fps so I want to know what you guys recommend to shoot after upgrades? I don't want to hurt my friends with some little bitty bb that flew too fast.

sent from bad A android.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I know I might be pedantic, but those are not bullets, but bbs. Calling them bullets might be confusing to the non-airsoft crowd.

At this FPS, in case you are using a sniper rifle, I would go with .36 g bbs since they are heavy enough to resist to minor atmospheric conditions, such as little wind etc. Still, they are not heavy enough to really shorten your reach. I would not go with heavier weights as that might be too muh for your gun.

Also, a bb flying too fast: It does not matter what bbs you are shooting, since the heavier the bb, the more energy it has. Therefore, a .2 g bb shot out of a gun will have around the same energy as a .4 shot from the same gun(even though it will fly at lower speeds than a .2).

It is the same principle as a car and a semi trying to stop the same time. The massive energy is preventing the semi to stop at the same mark as the car. Even if the car has a higher speed, the it can still stop sooner than the semi.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't want to hurt my friends with some little bitty bb that flew too fast.

sent from bad A android.
Heavier BBs will be more accurate, but they will also hurt more. This is because heavier BB's carry more energy (because of their weight) while they are flying towards their target.

Heavier BBs may be slower than light BB's at first, but they are actually faster once they reach a certain distance because they take longer to lose their moving energy.

IMHO, nothing lower than 0.30g...
0.30g-- the bare minimum BB weight @480FPS, not that accurate
0.36g-- more accurate, but still possible to be more accurate
0.40~0.43-- most accurate, but it WILL hurt the most

Therefore, a .2 g bb shot out of a gun will have around the same energy as a .4 shot from the same gun(even though it will fly at lower speeds than a .2).
Heavier BBs have a higher energy output at the muzzle of a rifle. This is due to the heavier BB's greater amount of momentum. Lighter BBs get affected by air resistance a lot more because not only are they lighter, but they are going faster. So by the time a light or heavy BB has reach the muzzle, they are actually exhibiting speeds than what is expected mathematically.

The force (air) coming out of the cylinder is the same regardless of BB weight, but once the BB gets pushed by this force, the BBs themselves begin to associate different energy levels.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. Thanks guys. And I know what you mean about not calling it a bullet lol. Its just natural when I'm talking about ammunition, because I hunt. But to comply with fps regulations I can use a heavier bb(bullet lol)right? Is there some sort of ratio or average I can use to calculate?

sent from bad A android.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No, you cannot use heavier bbs to go around the FPS rules. All FPS measurements are generally taken with the Event/Arena crew's bbs. Those are generally .2 g bbs. Trying to go around it could be dangerous for you, for people playing with you and it could get you banned.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, you cannot use heavier bbs to go around the FPS rules. All FPS measurements are generally taken with the Event/Arena crew's bbs. Those are generally .2 g bbs. Trying to go around it could be dangerous for you, for people playing with you and it could get you banned.
Just asking cuz it seemed logical. Thank you for explaining how it works because I didn't fully understand. Man it just makes so much since though right? Too much fps? Dial it down with a .42!

sent from bad A android.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's why countries like Japan have a 'joule' limit, not an FPS limit :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very interesting information :tup:

Both charts are not exactly accurate, but at least the first chart proves that heavier can go further even if it has less FPS :)

Interesting charts none-the-less.

Are there any more charts from the the same website that these are located?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do you believe the chart is close to accurate? Or a wad of dung?
I quickly skimmed and misread the second chart. After re-examining it a second time, that chart is accurate unlike what I said earlier.

As for the first chart, it simply says "With hop-up" which doesn't really say much. Some of us on this forum can make BB's go much MUCH further. Just infer from the first chart that heavier BBs have the capability of going further than lighter ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.