Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this posted on KWAs Facebook page and I'm starting to freak out thinking about the repercussions that this would have, both on me living in this *&$#@(*)$... awesome, state and the effects its going to have on the industry in general:

http://capinsider.com/node/231

Basically anything with a "barrel" under 16" (they fail to specify inner or outer barrel, although functionally they mean the inner barrel) will have the be a. clear or b. majority colored in bright yellow, bright red, bright pink, bright purple, bright orange etc. 16" is just about 406mm... so this will effect anything less than a sniper rifle and most AEGs.

Obviously this is going to be terrible for the consumer, but there is also the market to consider. With companies like KWA, Echo1, Spartan Imports, Airsoft GI and AEX all operating out of California, this could be a devastating blow to the industry!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lol, wow they think that people wont just go and paint them.

After some searching on this, it was because of this:
-----

This past December the Los Angeles Times reported: The shooting of a 13-year-old Glassell Park boy carrying what turned out to be a pellet gun by a Los Angeles Police Department officer is a "tragedy," Chief Charlie Beck said.
"This is a tragedy for all involved, but in particular for the young man injured in this police shooting and for the officer who believed that he was protecting himself and his partner from a real threat," Beck said in a statement. "The pellet gun the juvenile was using is the exact dimensions of a Beretta 92F and is indistinguishable from a real handgun on a dark night."

The chief added: "We have seen far too much heartbreak involving these types of realistic-looking guns that are labeled as toys."

The incident occurred about 7:50 p.m. Thursday when two LAPD officers on routine patrol in the 3000 block of North Verdugo Road saw three pedestrians in the middle of the street and stopped to investigate. The three people ran, with one ending up behind a van. The officers got out of their patrol car, and one of them, Officer Victor Abarca, shined a flashlight on the person behind the van and ordered him to surrender. Based on the person's 5-foot-7, 200-pound frame, Abarca assumed that he was a young adult male.

Police said the boy refused to comply and instead produced what was later found to be a fake Beretta 92F handgun. Abarca fired his gun, striking the boy. Los Angeles Fire Department personnel responded and took the boy to a hospital, where he underwent surgery and was listed in critical but stable condition.

After the shooting, Abarca and rescue personnel were stunned to learn that the wounded male was, in fact, just 13. The other two youths, ages 13 and 14, were detained without incident after dropping their fake handguns. Three faux weapons were recovered. Detectives from the LAPD's force investigation division responded to the scene. Police said they had determined that the subjects had been playing in the dark street, shooting pellets at one another with the fake handguns. They said they anticipated that no criminal charges would be filed against any of the three juveniles. (LAPD shooting of 13-year-old with pellet gun is a 'tragedy,' Chief Beck says, Los Angeles Times, December 18, 2010.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/lapd-shooting-of-13-year-o...

-----

Now who the hell lets there 13yr old walk around with a pellet gun in there waist ban a night. I mean come on, also I work as a armed guard and if I saw a 13yr old with a gun in his waist ban I would OC spray him not shoot him. Maybe they need to change how cops shoot everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
hidden187 said:
I mean come on, also I work as a armed guard and if I saw a 13yr old with a gun in his waist ban I would OC spray him not shoot him. Maybe they need to change how cops shoot everyone.
Didn't the cops think it was a real threat? I assume that the cops felt that the kid in the dark was actually older than 13, and was an actual threat to their lives. Therefore, I think they did the right thing. Especially since the kid ran behind a van, refusing to surrender.

With that said, kids like this give the sport a bad name. I just wish that people were smarter and made better decisions. I love this sport/hobby and to see new rules and regulations come out because of situations like this, that prevent us from being able to play the way we do now, just sucks.

What can I say...people are stupid, especially the stupid ones. :-/

·
Registered
445 Posts
fuzzywolly said:
What can I say...people are stupid, especially the stupid ones. :-/
Very nice saying, also in san diego we have cops who shoot 50yr old men who has a rake as a weapon. At some point someone needs to realize there has to be a better way, I mean come on us non lethal for gods sake, that don't carry X-26 for show.

This is how I see it if they were able to close to shot, they could have tazed him. Plus cops get away with everything, if a security guard or regular person was put in that situation, they be in jail.

Also if it was a pellet gun witch by CA state law does not require a orange tip, not being affected by this at all. Why airsoft which is ruled over already being punished.

Ok thas the end of my rant.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Watch out the liberal Left is on the march again.

What we should be focusing on is the fact that this 13yr old kid was out at the dead of night. Where were the parents? We must enforce Marshall law on the State of California, to place a curfew on the local populace. This will allow us to have safer streets, reduce wasted energy, because we will not need so many light on in the city, as well as a reduced police staff at night.

This is the same mind set, it just effects a much larger percent of the population. Its a freak show of our constitution; First pellet guns and airsoft guns are not labeled as toys they require an ID check to purchase them, secondly airsoft guns are already labeled as firearms because of their propellant. and finally as a firearm there are already laws in place against brandishing them in public, so another law would be redundant. Said law would only serve to tug at the heart strings of an ignorant and emotional public.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
A lot of it has to do with ignorance.

That and look where it happened. The cop wouldn't know if the 13 year old was up to no good or what not. I have heard about reports about kids this young down in cali doing shootings. So did the cop do the right thing...... heck ya.

Now if this happened in some of the small towns around here..... well probably not. One because the parents around here know where there young kids are ;). The other is because the cops are not as high strung around here. About the worse we see up here is some stupid high school kids out drinking and doing stupid stuff.

What would really be interesting to know would be this........ Like what was said before, why was a 13 year old kid out in the dead of night? Two.... where did a 13 year old child get a pellet gun, don't you need to be over 18 in cali to get one in the first place? Third... Why did the kid run away from the cops when he was told to surrender?

The child should be punished, as well as the parents. EPICALLY the parents. I mean why do you not know where your child is at night? Now I know we have all snuck out at night......but..... when you got home, in my house at least, my dad would kick my butt! To me the parents are more to blame in this instance.

The only way to avoid things like this is to be smart about things. Teach the younger group, when they come to play, on how to get your guns to and from the field.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I swear if we get to that level I'm going to be very mad. All I've paid for, you've paid for, we have all put down some dough to play this sport and they are just going to ruin it because of irresponsible people. For us to paint or guns Blaze red or lime green. Would ruin the sport permanently.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agreed,we all need to talk to our representatives and tell them that this is completely unjust.

These people are taking the small percentage of the population and making them seem like everyone with an airsoft gun is this stupid and irresponsible. I would bet at least 80% of the airsoft community is responsible when we play. I admit I have played in canyons before, but I made sure I was in no line of sight of anyone and my orange tip was on and very easy to see.

Things like this make me mad, why should they punish all of us for one kids mistake and ignorance.

Fellas, don't be harshing on the police, they protect all of us, they deserve some respect. Imagine what he must have been thinking. Given the given information, there was no rational way to come to the conclusion that it was just and airsoft gun, so his life was in danger. If you had a guy draw a gun on you, I think you wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger first.

Besides that, the whole situation is a wreck, and the parents are definitely to blame.

:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wow. That's insane. Do you have the fine print of that law? Like are you forced to color the airsoft gun if you already have one (or two, or three :) ), and if you order out of state, do they have to be colored?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.