Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what your opinions are on getting the G&G G96.
Mainly, is it a good rifle, whats the accuracy like, is the hopup any good,how far is the range with it still being accurate, and is the consitency of the fps good? (on airsoft gi it looked to have a 20fps difference. Also how hard would it be to make an external air rig. Also would it need a new tightbore? Thanks any replys will be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, lots of questions...so here's the deal
The G&G G96 is relatively new so I haven't seen any real in-depth reviews of it. A lot of that info is unavailable until someone who owns one steps forward. The best information we can say is G&G made a lot of parts for Tanaka rifles, so most likely the rifle will be similar to a Tanaka with perhaps some minor improvements. (Unfortunately we don't seem to have any info on the hopup, which is a big downfall of Tanakas). Probably would be as hard to make an external air rig as for any Tanaka. As for a tightbore, yeah it'd probably be in your best interest but again we don't have really any info on what kind of barrel is in there right now.

In summary, good luck if you find any useful info on this rifle. It's so new, pretty much all we have is speculation. If you do get one, please be the person to do an in depth review!

EDIT: Most in depth info I've found so far:
- No PCS bolt, so no velocity adjustment as with KJW M700s and PCS bolted Tanakas
- Looks like proprietary mags, so you won't be able to use KJW/Tanaka mags
- 655mm barrel, 6.04 tightbore stock but you'll probably want to go with 6.01?
- No word (unfortunately) on the hop up (i.e. Tanaka bucking, VSR10 bucking etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information you did know, I hadn't known they made parts for the tanaka rifles. Again I ran into alot of problems do to the lack of information on the rifle on the internet. Couldn't find any info on the hop up quality. But I am still wanting to put an external air rig on it but I have no idea how hard it would be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well...it's hard to say. G&G never made a hop up for the Tanaka rifles, so I don't know if they would just copy Tanaka. If they were smart, they would make it VSR compatible...but honestly, THEY were the ones who made a powerbolt (with adjustable power) for Tanakas, yet they didn't even include this same feature on their own! So it's...pretty much shot in the dark as to what the internals look like.

The external rig shouldn't be any harder than putting one on a Tanaka rig, most of these magazines have the same setup. It might stick out at a slightly different angle since the baseplate of the mags looks slanted.

G

·
I personally right now really enjoy the MADBULL sharkfin but thats just me. Also if I were you I would go to a local store and take a look at it, most stores let you hold the guns and also you can get some feed back from the clerks. Look around, check google maps maybe you'll be lucky and find a store with a range to test some shots from it. Also if you go to a store with a range you could even see it chronoed and find out what the real FPS is (some online stores have been known to lie about the fps or possibly even worse chrono with .12's
). Go to a store and possibly find the real story.

·
Registered
292 Posts
From what I saw its the same action and same mag design as the Tanakas. Not sure about the HU unit but I'd assume the whole system will have G&G parts in it which a better than stock TA. Do a quick search to find G&G TA M700 parts, they can replace almost everything in the system. I think you will find that they will simplfy some areas which is good but are otherwise beefing up the original design from TA. G&G parts are not cheap and in todays retail market, 1 of 2 brands that still offer the necessary mag upgrades for the TA. You may still find King Arms parts to be useful but you'll probably won't need to overhaul every $90 mag you get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry its been awhile, I have enough to get the G96 now but...the external rig will give it a more steady fps right? Also with a .36 what range would I be looking at for hitting a target? Plus what power of scope is recommend, Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, it would be more consistent with an external air but range is more to do with hop-up and FPS/PSI. I don't know this rifle personally and either its a TA clone or not, hop-up is the key while consistency still plays a factor. Seeing how there are two main HU out on the market and I'm not sure if G&G cloned one or came up with their own.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently own a Tanaka m24 (m700) with the PCS bolt and have an external air rig. The external air makes a huge difference as far as FPS consistency but the stock HU unit is pretty inconsistent, so I plan on getting the King Arms/2Roy VSR Hop up Conversion as well as a VSR bucking and TB barrel.

If G&G is smart, they will design it with a VSR style HU unit, which would be very lucky for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.