Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing an m14 from G&G and boost it to around 470 fps-500fps. My question is, would a high torque motor, high torque gears, piston, and spring carry me over(gearbox wise)?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have you dealt with AEG's before? Because 500 fps is hard to do. Alot of things can go wrong in set ups like these. You will need a MOSFET, 11.1v lipo, high torque motor, 300% gears (if you aren't super worried about TR), and GREAT shimming. Then yeah, a nice piston, and the AoE needs to be perfect. You will also need a really tough GB shell, and sorbothane padding so you don't get a fracture. A ton of tuning needs to be done, and V2 GB's are harder to work with. I would recommend you get comfortable with GB's before you go all out on a DMR build. Also, note that those upgrades were just for durability, but DMR's need more parts. You can't just drop in and go, you definitely need to tune, and tune, and tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard the G&G gearbox shells are strong, plus.. there is not any after market shells for it. It wouldn't be "that hard" , just the fact that I would spend time making it just right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed a M120 spring into my G&G M14 and I can shoot about 250ft with it.

Since it's a M120 spring I left the gears alone, stock motor in, stock piston and have no real concerns about the gear box failing. Stock motors can be hit and miss. Some work great while some struggle to pull a M110 spring. Just my experience with them...

I upgraded the air nozzle (AUG air nozzle) and tappet plate immediately. The plastic in those two parts
were brittle and actually broke during handling while working on the gear box internals.

*edit - upgrade the spring guide too! Version 3. I went with a Guarder one. stock one is brittle plastic.

Yeah G&G M14 gearbox is pretty beefy. I'm still not sold on it being bullet proof.
G&G metals are still not super strong. Better than many Chinese guns though.

500fps is not that difficult. Actually seems to be easier these days. Just takes knowledge
to keep you from loosing your mind from frustration if things don't work right at first, or
parts start breaking.

In my opinion it's really all about tech finesse in building a long distant, accurate shooting airsoft gun vs. slapping a M150+ spring into a gearbox.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Stock gearbox shells can't handle an m150 spring, especially when you're talking chinese clone. No stock motors can pull a m150, and most upgraded motors will have a hard time without high torque gears.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Doesn't matter who it's directed at. It's a fact.

Also, considering this seems like your first gearbox, you have a lot of research to do. You need to know how to solder, fix the AOE, and shim perfectly. Bad idea starting with a high fps build, you will get frustrated.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So as the OP very obviously just came on here and just posted rather than do a search first, I'll do it for him.....

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=889

And have a guess what, its all built around a G&G M14.

I've managed to get just shy of 450fps from this weapon using a M120 spring, so Im fairly sure I could get 470/480 out of an M130.... but thats me, and I know what I'm doing, as for someone inexperienced I'm not so sure, yes with a huge spring and high torque gears, which any halfwit can do, but then case issues will arise.

Better to get your seals sorted, and sorted well, and use a lower rate spring, then there is no issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I think I've changed my mind, and I guess I could drop the fps a bit. 450-470 sounds good. I will start off with doing vindi's modifications to maximize airseal, and throw in an m130, so I could probably use just a torque motor, shim job, aoe correction, and a new piston? Also i was considering throwing some sorbothane on to the cylinder head to reduce damage and to silent it. Does that plan sound good?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You will need a better hop up set, and more compression parts than that. You are working the bare minimum, which is nice for low stress budget builds, but a 500 fps build isn't low stress. Better seals are needed to get a nice, lower stress build with relatively high fps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
awagg said:
Doesn't matter who it's directed at. It's a fact.
Whoa whoa whoa....

You're M150, G&G gear box comment seem to come out of no where.

The Op never mentioned putting a M150 spring into his M14 gearbox.

You posted your "fact" after I mentioned G&G metals weren't all that great. I was trying to see what point you were making and to whom you were directing it to.

that is all...

·
Registered
506 Posts
He wants his fps to be around 500 without any compression mods... hence the M150 spring. He doesn't want to buy an upgraded GB shell, according to the OP, but you kinda have to in high fps set ups. He "heard" that the GB shells where strong, but they won't handle and M150 without sorbo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's why I asked - "hence the M150 spring"
You can achieve 500fps or real close to that with a M130 - M140 spring in a G&G M14.

Though I know what you meant now and yeah most people would throw a M150 spring in to achieve 500 fps instead of tweaking things to improve compression.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, most of the newer players will just throw in a stronger spring, because it's cheaper and easier to do. But it's important to get your compression right, because AEG's don't take well to hot springs. Motors, gears, and GB shells all will have issues. Also, with your compression tuned well, you will have much better consistency... something that us bolt action users love about our rifles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just felt like adding:

I got my hands on an airsoft chrono and chrono'd my G&G M14.

Element M120 spring
DYI Compression mods - thanks Vindi!
Systema 6.04mm 520mm barrel
PDI W hold Bucking

Five shots - 438, 439, 442, 438, 438 fps with .20 gram bb's.

My M14 has about 3-4 high caps, 5-6 mid caps shot throw it already, so there's a bit of break in shooting there. The gun can easily hit 250ft and easily reach 300ft (with .20's) and some slight elevation of the barrel.

That's pretty from tuning and a M120 spring. Stock gears, piston and motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how are the systema barrels compared to madbulls? i was thinking of possibly an m125/m130 spring for a slight fps boost. depends on how everything will work out. how do i disable full auto on the m14?

·
Registered
118 Posts
jeffrey said:
how are the systema barrels compared to madbulls? i was thinking of possibly an m125/m130 spring for a slight fps boost. depends on how everything will work out. how do i disable full auto on the m14?
I have a Systema barrel in my G&G M14. Accuracy is above average with it. Very impressed since I spent less than $30 on the barrel and it's pretty much up there in accuracy with some popular brand names.

Disabling full auto on a M14 to semi-auto only. There are simple mods that can be done. A google search should lead you to the information you need.

Currently I installed an AEG wizard/mosfet deal into my M14.
I have semi and three-round burst set up for now. It does have
a nice "sniper" mode for semi-auto only.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I recently purchased a G&G M14 veteran model with hopes of turning into a 500fps dmr. i have an 11.1 lipo and a G&G M150 spring.

The rifle is still stock and never been fired. After reading in this threa I'm hoping i don't destroy the internals of a brand new $350 gun.

I've read that this particular model already comes upgraded with a reinforced gearbox, high torque motor, M130 spring, stainless gears, metal hop up, 6.04 tight bore, metal shims and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off of the top of my head and should be able to handle further upgrades with no problems.

My question is. Am I going to be ok or am i going to do any damage?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.