Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I PMd this to vindi because I know that he has more experience than just about anybody with DMR AEGs, but since hes not on much anymore (understandable) I figured Id post and see what the rest of you might think as well since I'm about at my witts end with this project, so here it is.

I just got "done" with a complete rebuild of my G36 trying to convert it into a DMR. I got it shooting but had some major issues when i tried to put some rounds through it.

The thing that stemmed this whole build was that I wanted to put a Mosfet in. So it started with going to 16g. wires all around and turned into a complete replacement of most of the major parts. So to make a long story short, this is what I have now, all of which I installed myself (so I'm not leaving user error out of the question)
CA Super High Torque gears
Guarder infinite torque up motor
Modify SP120 Spring
Bravo Cylinder Head
Systema piston and head
CA Air seal nozzle
Bravo Metal spring guide

In the front end:
Stock TM Hop up unit
PDI 6.04 x 509 barrel polished and waxed
Guarder 70% bucking

I had a harness all ready to go to test the fet out when I almost burned it out. The motor bound up but didnt turn over the box. So since this was the 5th fet I almost/did fry, I was going to quickly re-wire it to stock, put it all back together and take it to a tech. When I got done with the standard wiring I plugged it in and it worked, I dont know how/why, but it did, so I wasnt complaining. Since it worked I threw a mag in and decided to see how functional it was...

With the hop up off the BBs fell at ~20ft like rocks, so I adjusted the hop up and got them relatively level. after a bit of shooting i noticed that it was sporadic, sometimes firing blanks, sometimes double and triple feeding and dribbling BBs out the end of the barrel. It didnt shoot reliably in semi or full auto, although I think that may just be a trigger wiring issue. When I held it upside down to watch the nozzle move when I fired, not only did it shoot reliably, but I noticed that the nozzle was resting in the back position between shots on semi, doesnt that mean that the piston is back?

Anything you guys might think is causing these feeding/reliability issues I would love to hear.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update:

Re-shimmed everything and function checked it before re-installing but it only got about 20 cycles out of it before the motor started free spinning. Thinking I had stripped my gears i opened it up and noticed that the larger gear of the spur gear had started to spin free from its axle... when i took it out it wiggled off of the axle... has this happened to anyone else before????

other than that everything else seemed fine with it (cept that my trigger gets stuck back somehow) and i was just about to start playing with the motor height...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've heard of axles snapping but never free spinning off the gear :-/

The trigger issue used to happen on mine before I fitted a FET then it stopped. Its due to arching in the internal trigger contacts slightly welding themselves open circuit. I just used to flick it back forward again with my trigger finger after taking a shot ;)

Plus you have PM :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply vindi! Ill work on that sector gear issue and see what I can come up with (since this is really the only AEG that I have to work on
)

This whole thing started because I wanted to wire a fet, but I just couldnt get it to work. I read something that there is a special way to wire a v3???? this makes no sense to me, but is it possible? I have a feeling that if i just replace the selector plate I'm just going to keep burning them out.

and for those interested, this is the spur gear...

Between these CA "high torque gears", the CA piston that just destroyed itself on a SP120 and the CA 6.04 Barrel in my ASR that cant hit the broad side of a barn at 80ft... I'm never buying CA products again...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Dang man that sucks!

I thought they were CNC'd out of one piece of metal. Didn't know that they were made of two pieces. To bad there isn't any way to drill some holes in there for a few set screws.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah... i was thinking about that.. but i just got a set of bravo high torque gears off asgi since they had a sale on all internals... so well see how that works.

ill probably hold on to these ones though ans see if i can fit them todether with some jb weld and a roll pin for a high speed build on something later

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There probably wont be enough room for JB weld to take hold. That and you may not have any room for a roll pin. That and that gear is what ... $10 maybe? Why risk destroying your mech box from a gear imploding and wreaking havoc inside.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
meh, theres enough space for a roll pin to fit if i wanted to fit one. but then again I have only been thinking about building a speed gun, i dont actually have one to build off of yet...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those interested. I found a thread on airsoftmechanics about this G36 feeding issue. I have been thinking about cutting the bottom of the tappet plate to fix the issue and am wondering if any of you have done this:

BTW: dont let the sector gear in this pic freak you out, you are not seeing double. it is a custom built sector gear that a guy on ASM makes that fires twice with one revolution.

EDIT:

ok guys, so for those interested I did this ^^^... and other things, but it works now, and here are some pics of it!

so to start. I got a guarder tappet plate that is much much much stiffer than the stock one and made of what appears to be ABS. this allowed me to file down the front a little more than if i were using a stock one, and I just wanted to have 2 in case i messed up on the cutting.

this shows them side by side showing where I cut it. Just at the bottom of the first drop on the plate.

here are some pics of them in the box

The up side:
no more feeding issues!!! I used the same set up (sp120 spring, bravo gears etc.) and it shot reliably on semi and full with no mis-fires and no double, tripple feeds.

the down side:
for some reason on semi it rests back between shots. this was still a problem with the old plate but in order to un-spool the spring I have to fire full auto and look through the mag well to see if the nozzle is forward... but i can live with that lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.