Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This area of the forum seems a little... dead... so I hope I am putting this in the right area.

So for starters here is my Ghillie:

It is still blended from a game last weekend... and with this in mind I have a few questions about blending and care. There is a LOT of stuff out there on how to make a ghillie... not so much on caring for one.

1. When blending a ghillie, what is the proper technique to blend it to make the blended material "stand up". The blending I did worked well for the area, but it still looks like someone walked right over where I'm laying since everything is laying pretty much flat.

2. After you use a ghillie should you pull out the blended material? This is only the second time that I have blended it, and I just blended over the old stuff, but should this be cleared out from the ghillie after each use? If so, what is the easiest way to do that.

3. How do you wash a ghillie? I know that this is not a typical thing to do since dirt is good
but, I'm pretty sure I got poison oak on the inside of the sleeves since I've gotten it pretty bad the last 2 times I've worn it lol

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I actually am going through a similar process. I am trying to wear the ghillie in. I covered all my jute in dirt, and am letting it dry right now in the sun. After it dries I am going to hose it down with some cold water. That way it can be put in the house without my parents yelling :)

If you have a hose, and want to wash it (since you might have some poison in their ;) ) try spraying it with water. That should take off any excess poison on your ghillie. Or you could jump in the bathtub with it on, but the hose idea seems more practical

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol yeah, i read in some other places that guys hose it down and drag their ghillies through the dirt... sometimes even behind a car. so i kept it outside in the sun and hosed it down for a few days straight letting it dry in between... that was before the game... and before this rash lol... im thinking about turning the sleeves inside out and hosing it with some tecnu...

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the poison is getting nice and cozy in there. I would hose it down everywhere like you said, inside and out. Do that a few times and see where that gets you. Sad part is the only way to see if that solves your problem is to try it on. I guess you could always get a friend to try it on for you ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't hose it down that will only spread the poison out, and it is not poison it's oil, what you do is you soak your ghillie for at least 3 days making sure that it is submerged under at least 1 foot of water then once those three days are up CAREFULLY bail the water off the top until you get all the way down to your ghillie.

Tips: Weigh your ghillie down you do not want a stray strand of jute catching any oil.

It also wouldn't hurt to throw some Dawn in there either.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Looks like my joke of putting it in the tub will work. Thanks october for clearing that up. I know that when I play in the next game, there is going to be "oil" all over that ghillie of mine.

Thanks for the tips, it will come in handy.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Neither was I for the longest time. My health teacher said that if you are immune enjoy it while it lasts. He said something about later in life people that are immune start getting rashes from the poison. Whether or not hes correct I do not know. But I do know that I never really got poison ivy, etc. on me. Then after a small game one time, I began getting some all over me. The next week was hell. I had it on my face, arms, legs, and chest. I was literally a walking rash. :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you blend your ghillie without removing the foliage from each time you use it, you will eventually have a nice layer of dead plants and twigs in it, which makes good camouflage with a fresh layer of foliage on top. On the downside, dead stuff tends to rot and smell. It also attracts creepy crawlers

I learned this when i found all sorts of bugs creeping out from the hood and my back :)
Although they make some company in those boring hours with little action, they tend to try eating you from time to time.

I recommend to just roughly remove most of the foliage and run your fingers through the ghillie when done sniping to prevent it from becoming a rastasuit, and take some time to remove everything once in a while to prevent the suit of becoming a rotten bugs nest :)

When talking about the breaking in of the suit, I crawled on my back along a dirty gravel road, and wore it in the river, making sure it got realy nice and dirty. The gravel helped the jute to become very fluffy and the river and mud made the excess colours go away, making it more natural.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Q1: not very many people are going to tell you that trick as its a secret of the pro's but i will hint that its is a special way of knotting it to your net PM me for more.

Q2: This is largely open for debate, personally i believe you should get out as much as possible; but judging from your suit you play in dead grass areas were dead material isn't noticed as much don't try that in lush green woods I would suggest start fresh every chance you get cause you will stumble on that almost perfect blend if u keep trying.

Q3: there are great ideas here and if your up for a laugh take it to a dry cleaners (after the natural veg is out)

·
Registered
89 Posts
i wanted to see how motivated he was to be better, but he hasn't PMed me. ::) I don't mind sharing secrects i just don't like handing out info to people who aren't going to make a little effort. The rest of us find ways by trial and error. I don't know about you but it has taken years of field experiments and online research for me to get where i am, just to paste it up here.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
No offense, but personally I came here to learn some many great secrets of those who know great things :) After I learned some new stuff, I realized I had some stuff to contribute too. I feel we are friends here, and are helping eachother out. For example, Livonia knows a great deal about the maruzen l96 and its upgrades. The pdi hop up chamber is hard to install, but when it is properly, it works great. Livonia could say, "I ain't telling no one how to install it, I will keep it to myself so I am the only one with a great rifle and hop up." No, instead he makes guides helping others and teaching them little tidbits along the way.

We are a community here to provide information to eachother, not keep it away.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
To be fair fuzzy is right,

I've been doing this hiding in the bushes melarkey, in one form or another, since before most of you were shitting yellow or just an itch in your dads pants.

If I, and people like me, took the attitude of 'Fuck'em, if they don't ask, they don't get' then the wealth of information out there would be fairly small, and the art would no dowt die in pretty short order :-/

Share and share alike, its how we all progress, in life aswell as in this hobby ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been rather busy the last week, starting a new job and have lots of time before my next game; consequently doing anything besides peaking at the forum here and there has kind of gone to the back burner.

fuzzy and vindi have a point, and after reading your post i was rather perplexed as well as to why you wouldnt just post information, but whatever floats your boat i guess. This is a forum, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a lot of information that was recently lost about the art of ghillies (sadly seeming right before I joined). I have been experimenting with a technique using elastic cording that someone referred to in another thread with decent results, however my ghillie has kind of gone to the back burner for the time being as i want to get paint on my rifle before the next game, I'm tired of using real leaf wrap

·
Registered
89 Posts
well thats certainly alot of responses to that.

I appologize for "holding back" information the point is that i have knowledge to share but only X amount of posts and have been obviously burnt on one to many forums were i contribute then straight way get told to shut up cause i have only X amount of posts and therefore don't have room to talk about other things

And this is the point cause i have spent almost as much money on Books on sniping as i have on my gear ( gun excluded) So i don't like to be told to F off to much like to many other forums

Have any of you heard of RAFIA?? you will get it at your local Michaels store or subsequint arts and crafts store.

Any ways this will work for Grassy areas take some clump it together tie in a knot with another strand of Rafia( you should now have a little patch of "grass" or a bouque take that fassener and attach it to your netting pull the Rafia strand through and back and tie it behind the "patch of grass" untill it stands up

i will have pictures but probably will take a bit of time new job new kids

but as before the key is the RAFIA and ask the older ladies at the store not the hot young blonde they wont know i tried. :(

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Don't worry, the only way to get your posts up is to say stuff. And I would rather you say important stuff then pointless crap. So if you have some good information feel free to share ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^ 2nd on that!

I agree with you penguin. especially with the wide world of the internet its hard to find a particular forum where you can get enough of a reputation to basically say whatever you want.

what I like most about this forum (and why it has become my primary source of information on anything, including AEGs) is because its small and everyone here is very professional. and even if someone disagrees with what you might post it always remains civil and laid back, because after all, were all here for the same thing :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.