Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my friend pretty much told me I need to snipe with him, and I need a gun. I'm choosing a VSR and I'm of course modding it so it can actually be used as a sniper. Here's my current list:
Airsoft GI reinforced spring guide with bearings
Airsoft GI reinforced piston
Airsoft GI 6.03 precision tightbore barrel
Nine Ball wide use air seal chamber (bucking)
Laylax PSS10 130SP spring

Anything wrong with the list? Is something a shitty product or am I missing something?

·
Registered
346 Posts
First off, sniper=the person, sniper rifle=the gun. ;)

Airsoft GI is a retailer...what is the brand on those parts? If it doesn't list one, I would suggest you get something by laylax, PDI, or EdGI for those parts.

My personal upgrade path on my vsr-10 is:

TF sleeve/bucking combo by Noobie
TDC adjuster kit by Noobie
EdGI ported 6.01/435 mm inner barrel
Polar star piston
EdGI cylinder head
laylax teflon cylinder
Laylax ball bearing spring guide
M-trigger by Noobie

Both EdGI and Noobie are players that manufacture parts, and the build quality and design is by all accounts much better than the major manufacturers. The TF sleeve/bucking and TDC adjuster kit basically change your stock HU chamber, and have been very consistent in all tests so far. Highly recommended (if you go this route, you won't need the Nineball bucking)

I didn't include the spring in that list because that's based entirely on your playing preference. Due to minimum engagements and fps regulations on most airsoft fields, your fps depends on your playstyle. Add an sp170 (in addition to the sp130) in case you end up going for a higher fps. Springs are cheap.

This also didn't count mods. You'll want to do something to dampen/fill the stock to stop it acting as a soundbox that amplifies the internals. Placing foam around the trigger unit, spacers or cotton around the inner barrel, and cotton in the silencer will all dampen the sound of the rifle. Other than that a very simple mod you can do is to wrap the threads of your cylinder head and barrel/bucking joint with teflon. The teflon tape around the barrel/bucking joint will be obsolete if you go for the TF sleeve/bucking combo, though.

Oh, and personally I'd get the rifle stock and do some tinkering and play a few games with it before you start upgrading, especially b/c this is your first time playing the sniper role. Probably 70% of those who try it decide it isn't for them, and use their rifles as expensive wall-hangers. If you're just getting into the role b/c of your friend this warning goes doubly for you.

You can always upgrade after a couple games if you feel like you like the role but need better tools for it. A stock bar-10 is quite decent if you clean everything up and fix compression issues, anyway. You'll be fine w/o upgrading it immediately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are Airsoft GI brand. I don't know who actually makes them... Thanks a lot for the help. And for the record, I have been a rifleman since I started airsoft two or three years ago. Im not some Counter Strike kid who wants to play airsoft and snipe because "AWP is 1337zorz!!!1!!!1"

·
Registered
346 Posts
Okay cool man, I just couldn't tell that from your first post. ;)

Personally I wouldn't use Airsoft GI brand. I don't know anyone that's used them and haven't heard about them before. They might be great, but with no feedback to go on...

Laylax and polar star are my personal favorites for cylinder set parts, but are expensive. Guarder is a very good cheaper alternative

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
kawaii said:
I'm of course modding it so it can actually be used as a sniper.
This very statement might just be proof that you do infact see airsoft sniping as 'like it is in the movies/games' :-/

ALL of my weapons are below 350 fps, so if you think that making your weapon super mega power will suddenly turn you into MGS Thomas Beckett, then your going to be sadly disappointed.

My advise is similar to zulu, with the exception of..... don't buy a sniper rifle..... yet! Just buy yourself some descent, high quality heavy ammo, around .28>.3g.

Use what ever you use now, just on single shot, and never have more than 1 pellet in the air at any one time.

If you can stick with this for 2 or 3 months then maybe buy a bolt action rifle.

And just cuz I'm an old, free thinking, alpha male..... if your mate told you to stick your head into a bucket of water and wait for the bubbles to stop coming up, would you? :-/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vindicareassassin said:
This very statement might just be proof that you do infact see airsoft sniping as 'like it is in the movies/games' :-/
I understand that sniping is not picking someone off from fifteen years away. Airsoft guns could not possibly shoot that far, and if they could you wouldn't hit anything. Sniping in airsoft is making precise shots to support the rest of your team. Sniping is not cheap. You need the right camo, ammo, weapon, hiding place, and tactics.

You gun does not need to be uber high powered, but it helps to get your bullet to the target faster (movies in games don't have bullet travel, airsoft does). Snipers also will not be pinpoint accurate. Although they are quite accurate, you are not going to be able to hit that guy 300' away through thick forest. A more possible shot would be 150' through light brush (when fps comes in handy).

Just having the rifle doesn't make you a sniper. There are many other things that come into play that are nonexistent in movies and games. I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That sounds damn near exactly what was posted over on ASR as well as on ASF.....

Start off with an AEG then work up... We have all seen to many people that jumped into the sniping craft and then got pissed cause they couldn't do it. Start small and work up is all we are trying to say..

Now we also know that there is a chance you will just ignore all of this and do what you want... So what ever I guess.

Just don't get pissed and complain if you can't handle the role and don't get the Uber ammount of kills you are expecting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
woogie said:
That sounds damn near exactly what was posted over on ASR as well as on ASF.....

Start off with an AEG then work up... We have all seen to many people that jumped into the sniping craft and then got pissed cause they couldn't do it. Start small and work up is all we are trying to say..

Now we also know that there is a chance you will just ignore all of this and do what you want... So what ever I guess.

Just don't get pissed and complain if you can't handle the role and don't get the Uber ammount of kills you are expecting.
Like I said, I have been a rifleman for two or three years. I currently own a G&G M4 CQBR and a Echo1 AKS-74U and have had two other guns fail on me and replaced. I have attended many events and have gotten a feel for airsoft as a whole and have been paying attention to sniping for quite a while. At the begging the last thing I wanted to be was a sniper because shooting 1 bb in the time they can shoot 40 at me didn't appeal to me.

I don't expect a shitton of kills. I know what sniping is, I've been a spotter for my friend, I get the role. Please stop bitching and get back on topic to eventual upgrades.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
So why dose it appeal to you now then?

Just wondering where you are going.

And I would personally stay away from the Airsoft GI parts... who knows what they are.. I had all PDI in my rifle and never had a problem with her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been doing a standard rifleman role for a while and the role doesn't appeal too me too much because:
I don't like wasting too much ammo.
I feel a sense of accomplishment when people look right past me and don't see me.
I like a bit of range.

Being a sniper appeals to me because:
You don't use too much ammo.
Good camo will hide you completely.
You get a bit more range than some AEGs.
It's more calm than standard roles, and you sometimes get a buddy to hang with.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
kawaii said:
It's mormetimes get a buddy to hang with.
LOL ... Hells yeah.... Well sounds like you have atleast an idea of what it is about, and not expecting uber high kills.

The bar-10 would work great if you plan on upgrading. But stick with either PDI or Laylax for your internals. And an EdGi barrel, I love my 6.01, just wish I got the ported instead.

Expect to spend around $800-900 for the entire set up, not counting the countless hours you will spend tweaking your rifle. That to me is the best part of the process.

If you like the M700 style rifles go with the VSR series, or clone.
If you like the Accuracy International go with Maruzen, or clones.
Then there is gas... which will need alot more stuff, but can be just as fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So how does a:
JG BAR-10 (scope package from GI) 1
Polar Star spring guide 7
Polar Star 45 degree piston 6
Nine Ball Bucking 2
That silencing mod the other guy posted 5
Teflon mod 3
EdGI 6.01 barrel 4

sound? The numbers indicate importance.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
kawaii said:
I've been doing a standard rifleman role for a while and the role doesn't appeal too me too much because:
I don't like wasting too much ammo.
I feel a sense of accomplishment when people look right past me and don't see me.
I like a bit of range.

Being a sniper appeals to me because:
You don't use too much ammo.
Good camo will hide you completely.
You get a bit more range than some AEGs.
It's more calm than standard roles, and you sometimes get a buddy to hang with.
All fair coments :)

Apart from the last one, and this counts doubly if you play as a DM, which I do more often just lately for some unknown reason, sniping can involve you doing MORE running around, trying not to be obvious or detected, to get to specific positions on flanks/choke points BEFORE the enemy, so you can set up your OP, again undetected, which can result in you actually having to cover TWICE as much ground as your team, who can go from point A to point B in a more direct fashion, and at the same speed as you.

And if your a DM you are normaly charging about breaking cover to aid and support your fellow team members who are requesting more accurate fire on a position that is pinning them down, plus a small amount of what I mentioned above.

So, calm and relaxed is not realy what I would call it :-/

But, hey, I play in England and the Games here are quite fast paced, it might be different for you at your site ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
kawaii said:
So how does a:
JG BAR-10 (scope package from GI) 1
Polar Star spring guide 7
Polar Star 45 degree piston 6
Nine Ball Bucking 2
That silencing mod the other guy posted 5
Teflon mod 3
EdGI 6.01 barrel 4

sound? The numbers indicate importance.
You missed sears. If you are planing to up the spring rate you WILL need to upgrade your sears to harder ones.

9ball bucking is all I ever use, its far more consistent than other types but you will find it doesn't produce alot of hop so you will have to stay on the light side for ammo.

Ah, the good old teflon mod, easy and non complicated, but not as efficient as many might hope, whipping is the way forewards, read about it in my VACS hop mod in the tech sec.

Linky http://airsoftsniper.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=repairs&action=display&thread=1180

Everything else is good

When you say 'sound?' I assume your asking how loud will it be?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Depending on what spring you plan on using it can sound differently. But pack the stock with foam and do some little things here and there and you can make her alot quieter.

With the sears they are a must, not to sure about the stock trigger itself. But you could just look at saving up and getting either the PDI-V trigger or the Laylax Zero trigger. Just know that on the V trigger the stiffer the spring the harder the trigger pull.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just want to interject. I had a fun time comparing that thread of yours to a very similar one over at ASR, Noobie. I think the author did some ghosting around here before he started working on his rifle ;)

Bookmarked, and I'll be referring to that when upgrading my bar-10. I'd like to get most of the upgrade parts first, as some of those mods are incorporated in aftermarket parts. (like cylinder heads that are pre-bored).

I would suggest the M-trigger over the PDI-V trigger or the zero trigger. Made by a player

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.