Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I was browsing around looking at ghillie suit materials, and stumbled on this site:

http://www.ghilliesuitplus.com/products/ghillie-suit-kits.html

(That link is to the product I'm thinking of getting)

It looks like a decent deal, and would make my life a lot easier because I don't want to buy a pre-made ghillie, but I think getting all the materials would be a bit of a pain and I'm still really new to this. Also, after seeing the post about ghillie blankets, I'm considering doing that, and this kit would give me everything I need except an actual blanket.

Anyways, my main topics:

1. Any tips or advice on getting this vs. making it myself (advantages/disadvantages, if any)?

2. I was thinking of getting either "Leafy" or "Woodland"

I'd add pictures of where I play, but I can only figure out how to attach them (any help here would be appreciated
)

Anyways, any thoughts, advice, tips, etc?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Get desert. Its easier to veg something to make it darker, but almost impossible to make it lighter. Thats been my experence. Plus when you mud it up it will become darker. So if you do get it stay away from majority green jute.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought the UK version of that kit about five or six years ago.
The woodland kit comes with the same colours as the other "green" kits except that it has black and dark brown. The dark brown is usable but the black is simply too black. It stands out too much against natural shadow.
Be prepared to tie literally thousands of knots.
It took me two weeks to finish and that was working on it for two hours nearly everyday... Two hours is a LONG time to spend kneeling on the floor tying knots onto a net.
You might be a knot tying genius and it'll be finished in a few days, who knows?

I only used mine once. It got tangled on everything. I think it would have made a huge difference if it had been stitched onto a shirt or jacket.
The dog now uses it as a bed, and yes her claws do get caught in it.

The kit is a good way to learn how to put together a cheap ghillie suit, but if I was doing it again, I'd miss out the kit and go straight to the You Tube crawl suit instead.
My crawl suit might possibly be the best suit in the world and the ladies love it ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that desert might be too light for that terrain. I would suggest getting a custom kit. I'm sure that the kit you chosen has a custom color option. Then I would go with greens, tans and a little brown.

I would also make a ghillie poncho instead of a blanket. You can choose to not put jute on the front of the poncho so it would be just like a blanket except it will actually stay on you when you move.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd agree with gsc on a poncho over a blanket. I'm sure that many others can attest to this as well, but in my experience, playing airsoft sniper is quite different from the "real deal." I know that's a pretty obvious statement but what I mean is in airsoft you generally must;
1. Move more to get in range or out of sight.
2. Hide quickly and often not where you would prefer to.
3. Find a place that gives you a vantage point but isn't an obvious sniper spot.

What that means is, the chances of you finding a sweet spot to camp from are pretty slim and blankets are really only ideal for camping out. Something more mobile will allow you to get in a good spot, take your shots and re-locate. That's why I'm a big advocate of the "stalker suit" as opposed to a full ghillie or a ghillie blanket when it comes to airsoft snipin.

Also, in regards to cost, having made 6 full ghillies and maybe a dozen stalk suits, the cost of DIY over a kit such as that one is a bit less but with different materials. I'm a big fan of the Marine style ghillie with mixed burlap strips and jutte strings rather than the noodly Ghurka style of full jutte.

3 yards of burlap from your local fabric shop, a 10$ decorative fish net from the HobbyLobby next door, a 5-10$ set of BDU's from Goodwill and either Shoeglue or a leatherman's awl to sew on the netting is really all you need to get started. I've never spent more than 50$ on materials for even a full ghillie DIY. Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.