Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m hoping to get a lot of opinions on this topic! What do you think about laying down during an airsoft match? Do you use bipods? Why?

edit just saw the bipod thread. Roast me now. I’m sorry.

There are tons of play styles and field layouts so I get that you’re not going to lay down for indoor cqb. Unless you do? Like drop shooting in Call of Duty!

Anyway here is my history and thoughts on going prone with bipods. I started off playing aggressively all the time. My local field was always fast paced. No need nor desire for the extra weight or use of a bipod. But then I started playing in more woodsy fields, my all time favorite kind, and got into ghillie sniping. Still didn’t lay down much. But then I started getting bipods for my guns for pictures and I like having them when I level the scope, I like the looks etc. THEN I was like well if I’m lugging this extra garbage around I want to try using it more. Well now I love laying down, helps blend in more, keeps shots steady with the bipod, and even less movement when watching scope cam footage.

I do find it uncomfortable though. For long periods of time. Neck arched for a bit. I go back and forth with the bipod. Extra weight isn’t that much. But shaving anything is always a plus. I hate when I want to fold the legs up for a shot then put them back down. So sometimes I don’t run a bipod, and use something like a branch or rock to prop my gun on. BUT THEN sometimes there isn’t a good object to use, and I want my bipod lol.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thought 1: Don't.

Thought 2: Bipods look cool so there is that.

Thought 3: You are very rarely going to use a bipod in airsoft. The ranges in airsoft are comparatively, rather short, so the only way you are going to remain truly static is by using a leaf suit. However, in this case, there are other disadvantages to bipods, namely, that it is much more difficult to turn the gun from side to side while using one. If you are in a leaf suit, you want to move as little as possible, and the added fuss of lifting the rifle slightly to point it in another direction is a risk that I consider not worth taking. Long story short, get a log (nature's bipod). Said log could also provide some cover and camouflage.

Reactions: Blind Sniper

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I used to have bipods about 10 years ago but found that they were more of a hassle.
I now find a "Y" shaped branch and use that if need be.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I own a bipod, but I'm probably going to give it to a friend tomorrow.

I personally don't care for bipods in terms of looks or function unless they are that fancy South African bipod they put on pellet guns.
For me, any weight I can ditch I do, which is why I wear sneakers while hiking and slinging plastic although I own hiking boots.
I also have shot more BBs than I would like to admit while practicing offhand, not to mention bullets and pellets, and if I need to rest my gun on something (rarely in airsoft) I use a tree, rock, backpack, sweatshirt, fist, or anything I can put my gun on.
If you dig bipods, cool, I encourage you to put on an M107 bipod if you're not on my team, but you're definitely not going to see me using one.

Sponsored by offhandmasterrace syndicate

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
I've used bipods a few times but you don't need them that much.
They add some weight and got caught on branches when you move around.
But I must say they look good in photos.
I have a few guns with bipods.. But I rarely use them

Wolf

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bipods are not practical for airsoft, at least for me. Never needed one so far.
They add weight.
Makes movement difficult and can cause big frustration, like Wolfgeorge wrote.
"Legs" need adjustment according to terrain morphology. And terrain is uneven in most cases.
Expanding & retracting may make noise & takes time. I want to go prone and be ready to fire immediately, not waste 3-4 secs to expand & adjust the bipod.
In case you must ambush enemies and must be stationary: There are "bipods" to support your rifle anywhere. A stone, a branch, your hand, anything that is in front of you.

·
Super Moderator
3,725 Posts
Bipods are only useful in very select circumstances. Like setting up an LMG in a window. On a bolt action, I have never needed one. I have tried to use them, but they are more trouble then they are worth.

Reactions: Blind Sniper

·
Registered
584 Posts
Y'all forget to mention bipods are great when you are doing field accuracy tests. Set the bipod and rest on a table or some hard surface, and reduce the human error factor while you're at it.

In games though they are pretty ineffective and unnecessary for the distances you are playing with. They make sense if your engagement distances are super long (so that being stabilized and stationary is important) and are useful for handling recoil, none of which is true in airsoft with recoilless toy guns and sub 100m ranges especially in skirmishes.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
….and are useful for handling recoil, none of which is true in airsoft with recoilless toy guns and sub 100m ranges especially in skirmishes.
Airsoft guns work very similar to Pellet Air guns. Break Barrel or spring airguns have the worst recoil harmonics possible. Many of our airsoft sniper rifles have weight added to the piston and this weight can make the harmonics even worse as the bb exits. Just as in Air rifles. Not to mention that our barrels are only made of thin aluminium compared to pellet rifles. Also the less barrel spacers you have the worse the harmonics will be.
I believe recoil harmonics do count in airsoft but not sure how much of an effect they will have.

I have been looking at making a rifle and then experimenting with the barrel weights to adjust the harmonics of a rifle. (I will also record the data and post it up)
If it does make a big difference, we should be able to change the recoil harmonics just by adding a little weight to the barrel.

·
Registered
266 Posts
One of the big events that I play technically says a sniper rifle has to have a bipod (among some other things about looking the part). It's not strictly enforced, I usually take it off by day 2 (if not before day 1 is up). It's one of those things that looks cool for pictures, and mostly stays in my gear bag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I bought my VSR (used) the first thing I did was take off the bipod and give it to a friend.

After nearly 40 years of hunting, I've never needed one on my rifle.

Also, I think they're ugly.

(Please note this is simply my opinion.... if you guys think they look cool, that's awesome.)

·
Super Moderator
3,725 Posts
Airsoft guns work very similar to Pellet Air guns. Break Barrel or spring airguns have the worst recoil harmonics possible. Many of our airsoft sniper rifles have weight added to the piston and this weight can make the harmonics even worse as the bb exits. Just as in Air rifles. Not to mention that our barrels are only made of thin aluminium compared to pellet rifles. Also the less barrel spacers you have the worse the harmonics will be.
I believe recoil harmonics do count in airsoft but not sure how much of an effect they will have.

I have been looking at making a rifle and then experimenting with the barrel weights to adjust the harmonics of a rifle. (I will also record the data and post it up)
If it does make a big difference, we should be able to change the recoil harmonics just by adding a little weight to the barrel.
Taking a change of pace from your "lighter is better" philosophy?

Reactions: TenshouYoku

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
From my findings, if your piston weighs less than 60g, your spring is 3J or less, your nozzle is bored out, your air seal is good, and your barrel is a decent length, and you have some barrel spacers, you shouldn't notice this.

For maximum efficiency you want your piston weight to give you the most joules with your desired BBs with your hop on as well as your barrel to be the exact length where the BB exits right after the piston slaps the cylinder head and the vibrations travel forward and backward.
By changing the barrel length to like an inch or two shorter, you have made the gun less efficient and less quiet, but in theory more accurate as the BB has done gone dipped before the diddly gets squiggly or whatever that guy said.
Still, if you don't run insanely heavy pistons and really strong springs with barrels that are too long, you should be in good shape and never have to worry about things of this nature.

That being said, there's a possibility that your barrel, bucking, nub, arm, and chamber could move X,Y, forward, or backward when the piston slaps, affecting your upcoming shot, but this is theoretical stuff that won't need improving unless you have a one piece receiver and very high standards.
Still, if you expect awesome results from a 1.2mm wall thickness brass barrel being held in by 2 grub screws and a soft rubber tube that can shift if you look at it menacingly, you should prepare to be somewhat disappointed as that is much less stable than other things.

I believe I mentioned this briefly in another thread, but this summer I am going to build at least one Precision Persuits HPA sniper that has a special hop chamber and barrel that use O-rings to seal the nozzle and barrel together, and a long section of hop chamber attached to the barrel for high stability and whatnot.
Pretty much like a PCP airgun as they have breech systems exactly like that, and they are capable of 6mm 10 shot groups at 100m in ideal conditions with sorted ammo and an extremely high end rifle.
Still, with ceramics and improved airsoft technology I believe that we can come closer to those 6mm groups, obviously not that good, but definitely better than our current situation.

On the topic of airguns, FX airguns with their Smooth Twist X barrel system is very very similar to airsoft in the sense that the barrels are interchangeable and are about 8.5mm OD and centered inside of a larger tube to form the outer barrel.
The key difference between FX rifles and airsoft is that the barrel is mounted way more securely in the breech block than any airsoft barrel, and the whole thing is a legit free float setup which is great for target shooting and stuff of that nature, while being a terrible idea for running around with impaired vision and slamming into things like the ground, trees, and everything near and far.

Just realized this is probably worthy of showing to my English teacher, so hopefully it counts as some free write that's coming up.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
So I guess the thing to note is that if you take away our barrel spacers, then our harmonics would be terrible. The inner barrel will vibrate and bounce. It would not only be when the piston hits but also when the piston is released. By adding barrel spacers, we are effectively trying to lessen the harmonic wave. So our main way off lessening the wave is to secure the barrel to a more stable part of the rifle. The outer barrel.
In my current rifle that has an inner barrel of around 370mm, I have 4 barrel spacers and then in-between these I have foam shock absorbers. These soak up noise and also vibrations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts