Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Largest realistic MilSim event in the United States... have you been or wanted to attend?

I have considered it... maybe when I lose the belly and can fit in to a GI issue uniform, I will make the journey...

http://www.operationeastwind.com/

9-days, 24-hours a day...

·
Registered
527 Posts
With all the NVA kit I have, I totally want to go to East Wind, but have not yet. Also, I am wary of their odd rules. They have something I call the Soviet Underwear Syndrome sometimes, which is a name for an absurdly pedantic and inconsistent demand for period accuracy.

Also, I would need a new gun. Stupid NVA did not adopt the AUG.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Sounds like it would be fun, but like Libelle said, they have some odd rules.

I understand that they are trying to get as true to real life as they can, but I can just about bet that they would get more people if they would allow any weapons to be used. This would open the door to so many more players. I do however agree with the uniform requirements, though they do go a bit far on this as well. I can see that base layer being a set pattern, but the rest of your gear.....who cares.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oh, I am ok with making people have period looking kit, but takes some of the gun rules:

You have to have an SA58, not an FAL with Auto disabled. The really difference is one is metric and one is inch pattern, and the receiver group, neither of which matter in airsoft.

The Bundeswehr can not use a P38 for a P1, when the difference is the P1 is the P38 made in the 50's after they could stop feeling like Nazi's when making arms. But, if they happen to have an MG42, they can use that for an MG3.

But, the Soviets can use any AK, even if it is a 74 and not a 47, but should try to get appropriate stocks to the region. Yet, if they want a heater in their tent or a camp stove, it has to be a period heater, either genuine Soviet or reproduction. I am a bit nervous about keeping near my face a gas burning stove the Soviets built 50 years ago.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
But if you look at the weapons in the pics, as well as some of the gear..... those weapons were not used during the time frame they are trying to re-play. They actually don't give a solid date that they are trying to re-enact, but looking through the rules and the other info, it looks as though they are trying to pick a time sometime after WWII or Vietnam/Korea.

And when looking at the required equipment, it really shows that. Then you look at the weapons and what not like that.... and yeah they are all over the board! If you want period correct clothing and kit, then keep that with ALL the weapons. Not just some of them, because if you make exceptions to some, then you need to make them for all.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, Woogie, we are slaves to a manufacturing block that does not respond to our needs, so they should allow some flexibility on guns (For instance, I think no one makes some of the guns they demand).

But, I am with them on requiring exact, period kit. That is relatively easy to get, and they are reinactors first, airsofters second.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yeah that is my point though.... if they are going to be somewhat douchie about certain rules then do it for everything.

Now if it was a 9 day game that used any weapons and any kit that you wanted to bring ( but signed a waiver saying you are ok with your kit and the event staff are not liable ) then I would be all for it.

But I am not going to drive how many hours to go to a game, have already paid and what not, and possibly not be admitted because I don't have a period mess kit?!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Period correct weapons, gear, sleep wear, tents, rations, mess kits, and even vehicles and radios really is pretty nice way to hold a milsim event. It is not 9-days of free for all death matches, it is all mission oriented, down to reading maps with period correct compasses. All though the rules are strict, people leave this event wishing to return year after year.

I cannot attend any time soon, but I would sure love too.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Oh I hear ya dragon, if I did already have the kit I would be all for it.

But not sure how I would feel about going through the "classes" as I have already been through all of those they have posted. But all in all yeah it does seem like a very good game. And one that not everyone would enjoy either.

I just don't like how in order to be a sniper, you have to have either gone through military sniper school, or have two prior events. To me having an all sniper squad would be great ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not completely read the rules, so I did not even see that they had any stipulations for the sniper. I figured that since a sniper weapon platform was not listed, that their recon missions were assault based only.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know an entire team, here in Canada, that will be going down as the NEW Canadian contingent!
They are all happy with the strict kit and weapon requirements. And they don't want anyone there that does not feel the same.

These guys are not looking to have tons of people come. The quality of the experience, for then, is much more important than the qauntity of players.

One of my team mates went down last year, part of the german group, and he didn't even load a mag into his rifle for the first 3 days. Over the entire time he went through 3 - 50 round mags. He had a blast, as this intense of a milsim experience was exactly what he likes!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know an entire team, here in Canada, that will be going down as the NEW Canadian contingent!
They are all happy with the strict kit and weapon requirements. And they don't want anyone there that does not feel the same.

These guys are not looking to have tons of people come. The quality of the experience, for then, is much more important than the qauntity of players.

One of my team mates went down last year, part of the german group, and he didn't even load a mag into his rifle for the first 3 days. Over the entire time he went through 3 - 50 round mags. He had a blast, as this intense of a milsim experience was exactly what he likes!
Excellent post Grudge. I have read many after action reports from the local players that have attended, they say that until you have attended, you can't know the feeling of total emersion... It is an experience like no other.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi guys, I saw this post and thought I would pop in and answer a dew questions for you.

First off, I am Aswayze and I run the NATO end of Operation East Wind. Nobody knows East Wind like I do since I was doing East Wind for years before we even had the first East Wind. :)

I'll be happy to field any specific questions or comments about East Wind (even the unfriendly ones) and let you guys know not only what we do but why we do it.

To answer a few specific questions/concerns in Blue:

"Unfortunately being in Ireland means I probably wont get there anytime soon:("

I feel your pain on that one Bushmaster, you are on the right side of the pond for a lot of good airsoft but not so much for East Wind. We are starting to see more and more attendees coming from out of the USA. In point of fact, last year on the NATO end of things 12% of our force came from outside the US. If you were to travel outside of the EU to attend an event, East Wind makes an economical choice since it is relatively inexpensive to end a flight in either Kansas City (MCI) or St Louis (STL) and your general "life" expenses are quite low while you are there. We coordinate to get folks picked up and dropped off and since we are all basically one family out there we make sure everyone gets to see and do as much as possible while you are out there. If you play much in the UK, you may bump into Azubi, he's been out to East Wind as well and might be able to give you some insight.

"absurdly pedantic and inconsistent demand for period accuracy."

We are always working to get better on this front (by that we mean MORE accurate) It's just sometimes tough to do based upon availability of gear and cost to the average attendee. We DO NOT seek to make an event for everyone. We are quite specifically looking for those who are looking for what we are doing. As such, MORE accurate is always better for us.

"but I can just about bet that they would get more people if they would allow any weapons to be used."

Quite so. Thing of it is we do not want more people. At all… We have to sustain everyone we put in the field, we have to insure a good experience for everyone we put in the field. We need to have enough specialized equipment for everyone we put in the field. At our current size and rate of growth, ANYONE who's going on a night mission can get night vision from supply pretty much any night. All of the squads/sections deployed in the field had a vehicle assigned to them so if they needed a vehicle for a mission they did not have to go beg for one, they just planned to use the one they had assigned to them. All of our people stay in big common area tents etc etc etc… If I double in size, I could still manage this level of service but not if I triple it. I do not want MORE people.

"You have to have an SA58, not an FAL with Auto disabled."

The Bundeswehr can not use a P38 for a P1, when the difference is the P1 is the P38 made in the 50's after they could stop feeling like Nazi's when making arms. But, if they happen to have an MG42, they can use that for an MG3.

But, the Soviets can use any AK, even if it is a 74 and not a 47, but should try to get appropriate stocks to the region. Yet, if they want a heater in their tent or a camp stove, it has to be a period heater, either genuine Soviet or reproduction. I am a bit nervous about keeping near my face a gas burning stove the Soviets built 50 years ago."

I don't know where you are getting your info but it is not from the East Wind site:

SA-58? No… L1A1 yes. L1A1 is different from a FAL.

Bundeswehr can use the P1 or the P38 but in all honestly nobody ever does. I think the MG3 gunner might get one this year but only for show.

http://www.operationeastwind.com/NATO/bwrequiblue/natoweapons.htm

Soviets use the AK-74 with a few role specific exceptions.

http://www.operationeastwind.com/ak.html

Do you stick your face in your furnace at home? The point of the heater rule is to keep people from asphyxiating themselves with stupid and dangerous propane heaters. For the most part, wood burning stoves are the norm for tent heating, NOBODY is allowed to use gasoline for tent heat.

I just don't like how in order to be a sniper, you have to have either gone through military sniper school, or have two prior events. To me having an all sniper squad would be great ;)

Which is exactly why we say you have to either be a sniper school grad or attended 2 prior East Wind events. That is just not how snipers were used in Cold War Europe. In the case of the US Army, the sniper (if available) was a squad asset and went out with the rest of the unit for the particular mission. If it requiblue an M24, the sniper brought an M24, if it was an M16 mission, the M16 came along. On the Soviet side, the guy in the section who was the best shot got a Dragunov. It's role was not so much the classic enemy at the gates sniper role as it was simply to extend the effective range of the section. Line units did not have "all sniper squads". The rules seem draconian, but once you get out there in the field you see how it all fits together and it makes more sense. In 5 years of East Wind's past we have had many attendees bring along an M24 and have, as of yet, never seen one taken out on a mission. Not because we said they couldn't but because they themselves chose to bring their normal rifle instead. With over ½ of the event happening at night, an M24 is cold comfort compablue to an M16A2. Drags we see tons of, doing exactly the job they were intended for, extending the reach of the section they are with.

"I figublue that since a sniper weapon platform was not listed, that their recon missions were assault based only."

Could not be farther from the truth. Fact is, you MIGHT get an assault mission once in an East Wind event. Perhaps… Probably not though. In reality, most all of the missions at East Wind are about gaining situational awareness for higher command so as a result the great majority of missions are either light infantry patrols, snoop and poop recon missions or area denial missions. Without having a script, it is hard to script in an assault since most people have sense enough not to sit still long enough to get assaulted.

"but restricting snipers to being real world snipers or people who have attended the event twice is just silly."

First off keep in mind that is a NATO side rule. I do get a lot of flak over this one but in all reality I feel this was one of the wisest decisions I have made for this event. Again, in the field it makes a LOT of sense. We have HUNDBLUES of people who have attended 2 or more events and none of them have ever approached me about being a sniper at East Wind. I have 3 attendees this year on the NATO side who are sniper school grads who plan to attend as snipers (1 Canadian, 2 Americans). All of them know what's up at East Wind and they look forward to putting their skills to the test out there. It's not an impossible rule, just a tough one.

"One of my team mates went down last year, part of the german group, and he didn't even load a mag into his rifle for the first 3 days. Over the entire time he went through 3 - 50 round mags. He had a blast, as this intense of a milsim experience was exactly what he likes!"

Oh, you know Cam then! He was a death machine with that GBBR G36. I have got to end up going the GBBR route for my M16A2 at some point, I just hate to make that jump when I already literally have an M12 arms rack full of AEG M16s and a 20mm ammo can full of mags for them.

His experience was not uncommon pace of operations wise. We are out constantly patrolling, sneaking, looking, poking prodding etc but do not generally get into tons of 'trigger time" shootouts. The payoff to that is when you do get into a shootout it is unbelievable intensity wise.

In a normal airsoft skirmish, it is not any kind of challenge to stay "on" the entire time. At East Wind, particularly on your first serious night patrol it's no trick initially either. You're not used to the gear, your not used to the area, and every bush looks like it probably contains 1000 polar bears with anti-aircraft guns just waiting to shblue your entire unit. That pit in your stomach feeling keeps the edge on for a while then at some point you start to tire and you start repeating to yourself "Stay switched on, Stay switched on, Stay switched on" after a while you let your guard down.

And that is when the RPK gunner peppers you…

Most fights at East Wind and super violent and super fast. Few last more than 2-3 minutes and in many cases the poor unsuspecting guys that were not switched on never get a shot off in reply. That makes for a pretty intense feeling when you are sitting in a hide and hear a stick crack nearby on a moonless night.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd love to go, but unfortunately the requirement of a CPAP machine at night kind of cancels that out!

I've found that as I get older I get more satisfaction from the scenario and the stategic elements over the shooting. Doesn't mean I don't like shooting, but it is not the end all be all of a successful day for me!

And yes I do know Cam. He is the other Cam on the Nordic Battle Group! LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
CPAP is a snap. We can accommodate that back at base camp anyhow, just perhaps not if you fall asleep while on ambush or something.

I was actually up in Winnipeg last month to teach a comms class to the other Canadian troops, bummer I did not get to meet you then. Cam attended and has agreed to take up further comms I classes up there so make it out to one if you can, you'll be surprised at how much you can do with the period radios and a little knowledge.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ach! seems I misread the P8 as a P38. What exactly is the meaningful difference between the L1A1 and the FAL for this event, and I mean in the AEG, not the firearm.

I sleep in a different room from the furnace, and in the field I prefer to sleep in an APC or heavier. Just kampfy in there.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.