Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening or morning all

I am seriously considering contacting a place near me to see if they are able to make heavyweight bbs.

Now I know what material is actually used for the general weights (HDPE). The question is what is the common material used to add the weight?

Some use black iron powder but not sure what others use.

On the same point what form of plastic is safe to use in an airsoft environment out of nylon or delrin (note not in terms of biodegradable), or any other possibilities you can think of?

(This is just to get further information if I go ahead and contact the manufacturer)

·
Registered
64 Posts
When it comes to biodegradable i heard reports that anything over 0.30 cant be produced with regards to the legal boundry's acording to the TUV (company wich tests products from manufactures to see if they live up to the legal aspects here in the Netherlands)

Aparently the products needed to add the extra mass cant be condensed enough for the bb to not fall apart and still be biodegradable.

I have nofing to link to support that claim but i got this from my local airsoft field so i'm pretty confident its not just hot air.

Just my 2 cents i guess.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
From what I understand, they add iron to the bb's. To meet the ISO standard the bb's have to be degraded by 90% after 6 months, which the certified bb's still meet (otherwise they wouldn't be certified, duh :hehe:)

Iron is a naturally abundant element, so it is not a problem. The issue you may be describing is probably with bb's that have zinc or even lead in them, which is obviously a whole different story. But from what I've read, iron is acceptable when getting those certifications.

That's my understanding of things, but I'm no expert either... :hehe:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So primarily it could be iron powder that's the main ingredient to all heavyweight BBS that are black/grey or white? Be it bio or not.

Also reliku do you have a link to where you read that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not to worry then. There's just so little information out there (at least that I can't find), on the compounds used within heavier BBS.
Also seems to be very little information on the type of checks they need to pass before use. Most packs I have to hand show no regulatory marks or such, just the usual keep away from children

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wish i could make my own BBs like real steel owners can prepare their own rounds :(.

Would be therapeutic to spend a whole saturday/sunday afternoon listening to good music, a couple of jagermaster shots and BB making (i just realized this can sound weird haha, not THAT kind of "bbs" haha.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Haha. I know what you mean though.

Well I emailed one manufacturer (who I was in conversation with anyway) about what used in the heavyweight bb to add the weight and I got this cryptic response, if you can work out the answer then kudos to you.

Edit - flip can't upload the picture nvm.

The statement was 'rare earth material' I mean could they get any vaguer?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Haha. I know what you mean though.

Well I emailed one manufacturer (who I was in conversation with anyway) about what used in the heavyweight bb to add the weight and I got this cryptic response, if you can work out the answer then kudos to you.

Edit - flip can't upload the picture nvm.

The statement was 'rare earth material' I mean could they get any vaguer?
well we do have "rare earth magnets" soo maybe there is a connection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element

so my best guess is Yttrium, Terbium, Dysprosium, Holmium, Erbium, Thulium, Ytterbium or Lutetium
im no scientist so i dont know which of these could or could not be used.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Probably sounds like nonsense... Lol...

All certified bio bb's will have iron in them, as far as I understand. Other elements are either not allowed or not heavy enough.
why are you still fixated on the bio bbs?
i tough this was about the heavy weight bbs as in those that are not necessarily bio ... or am i wrong here?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Oh, oops, my fault! I thought the manufacturer was referring to bio bb's in my enthusiasm to answer :doh:

Non-bio heavy bb's may have several heavy metals in them AFAIK. The most common ones are iron and zinc I believe, although some manufacturers put exotic stuff in them, or even lead.

What I do know, is that non-bio bb's can also undergo certifications as far as environmental regulations go. While they obviously don't biodegrade (they're made of plastic), they can't contain toxic stuff (that would violate all sorts of environmental regulations). That rules out stuff like lead, which is probably why iron is used so much :yup:

But that's all I know, I don't know much about them since I can only use bio bb's myself :hehe:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oh, oops, my fault! I thought the manufacturer was referring to bio bb's in my enthusiasm to answer :doh:

Non-bio heavy bb's may have several heavy metals in them AFAIK. The most common ones are iron and zinc I believe, although some manufacturers put exotic stuff in them, or even lead.

What I do know, is that non-bio bb's can also undergo certifications as far as environmental regulations go. While they obviously don't biodegrade (they're made of plastic), they can't contain toxic stuff (that would violate all sorts of environmental regulations). That rules out stuff like lead, which is probably why iron is used so much :yup:

But that's all I know, I don't know much about them since I can only use bio bb's myself :hehe:
well fun fact
when i got my hunting license we went clay shooting.
and well the trees down the shooting range was gray and dead.
and i asked the people about it and they said

"nei de døde etter at loven ble endret og bly skudd var gjort ulovlig. men levde i beste velgående når vi brukte bly"

and for those not speaking Norwegian

"no they died after the law got changed and lead shot was made illegal. but was alive and well when we used lead shot"

now after i looked at the pictures in the shop at the shooting range the trees where green and looked fine but at the time i was there they where all gray whit no bark and well dead...

but that is RS stuff so i guess there is something else in the steel shots used for 12 gauge

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Probably some weird stuff in the steel shot that's bad as well. Lead isn't that bad, I think, especially not in the volume us airsoft snipers are shooting, but the people making those regulations don't get out of their offices much :hehe:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Probably some weird stuff in the steel shot that's bad as well. Lead isn't that bad, I think, especially not in the volume us airsoft snipers are shooting, but the people making those regulations don't get out of their offices much :hehe:
hehe ye lead is natural after all. but the steel shots have some funky stuff in it :nuts: so idk what to say >:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts