Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm currently building my ghillie suit.
I am at the stage of stranding jute to separate for dyeing, my problem is I don't know how much jute i require for a full suit. (Boonie, jacket and trousers). I want to do all the dye at once to ensure I get even shades. I have 6 square metres stranded so far.
Will this be enough?

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ordered 5 meters from flea bay, but have had to order another 10 meters to make sure I can finish the suit. I think I'm going to use around 8-10 meters total to be honest, so I will have some spare for repairs etc. It depends what part of the uniform you are covering for me its back of trousers, front and back of jacket and all over hat. It also depends how thick you make the suit - I so far have used 3 strands every other square and it seems about right.

Another point is - you dont want the suit all the same colour, it should blend into your surroundings not look like a bush on your own if that makes sense!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Phew.. i dont know how much i used, sorry. I just know its alot, and alot of work, but its worth making a ghillie like this, it works the best.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Please make an intro post.

Also make sure you dirty it up. It will help blend the colors together and give it a more natural color and feel.

·
Registered
558 Posts
LOL I am 6'4 "14yrs old" and I also wander how much Jute I will need for a full Ghillie.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Why are so many sniper tall?! I'm 14 and I'm 6' 2".
Anyways, it all depends on what kind of surrounding areas your in. Some pics may help man.
If it's very little veg, like just dead leaves (my area, super hard to stalk), then very little jute should work for a full suit. 2 pounds at most. But if it's very thick under brush then most likely 8-10 pounds. So it may be safe to say that you need about another 6 square meters.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Were can I get roll's of burlap, looking for 3 inch wide 100 yards. Need about 6 to 7
I got 40" x 100 yard from home depot :) $30

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I also get my burlap from Home Depot in the garden section. It comes in large rolls and you can cut it down to squares and destring it after dying. You can cut to different lengths to help break up the outline.

One of those burlap rolls will last you for a full suit as well as more.

Also, get creative with your dying of the jute. Mix some colors, dye jute in for different periods of time, dip some in two different colors to get a different faded look. Get creative and you can do a lot of stuff with just minimal colors (as in green and brown). I have at least 6 shades that I use in a suit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts