Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys. So the SSG24 is off the table. I want a sniper for centurion events mainly. But will use at milsim if applicable.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Awesome, good choice.

Before you fire it, do these things

Deburr the cylinder slot with varying grits of sandpaper until you can slide your finger on it very hard confidently.

Disassemble the hop chamber and clean the barrel and bucking very thoroughly, and maybe polish the barrel with Brasso and a piece of tissue until the tissue it completely black.
You'll need the cleaning rod it comes with.

Lubricate the inside of the cylinder with very slippery silicone lubricant such as 100cst Superlube silicone oil or Tamiya Ceragrease found on Amazon.

Fill this spot inside the trigger with extremely thick grease.

Make 2+ barrel spacers out of painters tape.

Make a cylinder sleeve and ejection port cover.

And shoot BBs heavier than .43g, and you'll have a very good sniper.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hate to disagree with you 1Tonne but the BBTac M62 is much different than the DE M62. While BBTac is the parent company of Double Eagle, BBTac M62s are much better than DE M62s as Double Eagle is BBTac's cheap line. The DE M62 looks the same as the BBTac M62, but the DE M62 is made with cheaper parts. If you really want a good M62 go with the BBTac version. Double Eagle is just a cheaper line of BBTac made so less wealthy people could still afford airsoft.
This is interesting, as there is no price difference between the two.

To the best of my knowledge - and from comparing the ASG M40A3 and my BBTac M62 - the two guns are identical. I have seen others claim the Double Eagle M62 has a beefed up spring compared to the ASG, but it seems like nowadays they all chrono around 440-460 out of the box.

Using .35-.40g bbs out of the stock gun, you can expect 230ft out of the stock gun whereupon the bb will drop like a rock. 250ft is about the max you'll get. Use the heavier bbs, since they are more accurate. As long as you are within 240ft, you shouldn't really have trouble hitting a target. For $80 this is sufficient for most players, being a perfect trial gun for someone looking to get into airsoft sniping or can't afford a nicer weapon.

For those that want a cheap platform to upgrade, I also think it is a good option. I have seen it described as a sleeper on here and elsewhere, and I'd tend to agree. I have put a Mr. Hop bucking in mine, as well as an upgrading spring. It can now lift .45g bbs out to 350ft (confirmed by google map and seeing the bbs on the ground), and probably further. I intend to make a much better range video next time I go out airsofting, but as my third child was born last week I wouldn't expect anything soon. I feel confident saying you can harass targets well at 300ft shooting into a 45 degree crosswind, as those were my test conditions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does it have a 90 degree trigger or a 45 degree trigger?
45, seems to be pretty standard components. The upgrade video list I compiled details what replacement parts work - the claim "less upgrade parts available" really should be "less upgrade knowledge available" as that is a far more accurate statement.

FWIW, a few people have put 520-550 fps springs in theirs and are still going strong on stock components 1-3 years later, according to them. I recall 2 of the upgrade videos talk about this, or answer the question in their comment section. If you upgrade spring and bucking like I did, your total cost is still less than $130 all said and done, so if you get a year or two out of it you can still convert it down the road and have pocketed money. My old UTG had around 520 fps with weaker components, and I got nearly 8 years out of it (probably equivalent to 3 years if I was playing a lot)

The biggest downside of the gun is the cheap feeling stock, although of everyone that has handled it I'm apparently the only one that dislikes it.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Do you have link to the video
So if it was able to somehow get 650fps when stock with a 45 degree trigger, then that is amazing. But 45 degree triggers are not a good design at all and at that fps, they are very hard to cock and also wear out very, very fast.
I also wonder about the quality of the cylinder. If it is the same as Double Eagle, then that was not great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have link to the video
So if it was able to somehow get 650fps when stock with a 45 degree trigger, then that is amazing. But 45 degree triggers are not a good design at all and at that fps, they are very hard to cock and also wear out very, very fast.
I also wonder about the quality of the cylinder. If it is the same as Double Eagle, then that was not great.

In the end, does it really matter? If you get two years out of the stock components with an upgraded spring you could still by a whole new gun and be under the cost of a SSG, let alone any build on here. I agree 90 is better but that can always be fixed later. Two years of service is much different than two months - "wearing very fast" is relative.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My ASG M40A3 had an aluminum cylinder with quite thick walls and a pinned in pot metal end piece.
The end piece was a little wobbly so I filled the gaps with super glue which I feel helps with wear.

Still, I really don't like the feeling of your cylinder breaking and being like, well, I guess my gun is broken forever.
So I DO NOT recommend guns without replaceable parts like the cylinder, piston, trigger, spring guide, cylinder head, and possibly hop chamber.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My ASG M40A3 had an aluminum cylinder with quite thick walls and a pinned in pot metal end piece.
The end piece was a little wobbly so I filled the gaps with super glue which I feel helps with wear.

Still, I really don't like the feeling of your cylinder breaking and being like, well, I guess my gun is broken forever.
So I DO NOT recommend guns without replaceable parts like the cylinder, piston, trigger, spring guide, cylinder head, and possibly hop chamber.
I don't disagree, but this gun supports all of those parts, as the video playlist I linked demonstrates. People are saying this gun does not have upgrade parts, which is false. What is lacking is knowledge of what parts are and are not compatible.

IIRC: L96 Trigger Sear
Type 96/APS2 Piston/Spring
VSR-10 Hop Up bucking (mostly compatible)
Action army or standard vsr10 hop up chamber

I think the trigger unit is APS2, tho it may not be. I do know it is compatible with off the shelf parts, which allows for a 90 degree upgrade if you so desire. When my stock unit breaks I'll upgrade it, but based on what little info is out there this may be a long ways out.

The theory crafting here is a bit pessimistic....seems shortsighted to decry an $80 gun just because it has a 45 degree sear, if said gun will still last two years with an upgraded spring.

My M324 had similar - but crappier - components, and it was the sear wall that broke, not the sear itself or catch components. This was after quite a bit of use on a more powerful spring.

I debated for quite a bit of time whether or not to upgrade the spring because I did not want to deal with that again. However, after much research - and trading apart my gun - I'm convinced the concern for this is a little overblown.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I intend to make good range videos of both my gun and my brother's SSG, so people have a visual reference of what they can expect out of both guns. Also plan on doing a review on it at some point here in the future, but I need more time with the upgrades first - haven't played since I got them installed.

If/when I get a sear failure, I'll make sure to do a video on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So I went with the SSG-10 A1 with the m-150 spring (it was the only one in stock). So I purchased a 160 and 170 spring along with the FPS adjusters (didn’t know the rip off on those thankfully only 4 bucks). Let me just say the 150 spring sucked. Swapped springs and now I’m accurately able to hit a bucket out to 145 yards. I’m am thoroughly impressed and beyond happy with my purchase. I’ll try to post my chronos for both springs

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is interesting, as there is no price difference between the two.

To the best of my knowledge - and from comparing the ASG M40A3 and my BBTac M62 - the two guns are identical. I have seen others claim the Double Eagle M62 has a beefed up spring compared to the ASG, but it seems like nowadays they all chrono around 440-460 out of the box.

Using .35-.40g bbs out of the stock gun, you can expect 230ft out of the stock gun whereupon the bb will drop like a rock. 250ft is about the max you'll get. Use the heavier bbs, since they are more accurate. As long as you are within 240ft, you shouldn't really have trouble hitting a target. For $80 this is sufficient for most players, being a perfect trial gun for someone looking to get into airsoft sniping or can't afford a nicer weapon.

For those that want a cheap platform to upgrade, I also think it is a good option. I have seen it described as a sleeper on here and elsewhere, and I'd tend to agree. I have put a Mr. Hop bucking in mine, as well as an upgrading spring. It can now lift .45g bbs out to 350ft (confirmed by google map and seeing the bbs on the ground), and probably further. I intend to make a much better range video next time I go out airsofting, but as my third child was born last week I wouldn't expect anything soon. I feel confident saying you can harass targets well at 300ft shooting into a 45 degree crosswind, as those were my test conditions.
I don't use those crazy heavy bbs. I am a bit offended about describing it as a "cheap platform". While it isn't like 300 bucks that doesn't mean it isn't good.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Like 1tonne says, with enough time and money you can make any gun good.

That being said, it's usually worth it to pay a little more for better durability and all that as you may get a gun to shoot nicely, but you can just fall over on a log and crack your stock.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts