Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently built my first gun. It is a JG Bar 10, with the airsoftpro 90 trigger group, piston and 150 spring, Action Army hop up chamber, stock barrel with custom spacers and all cavities filled with high density foam. Stock hop up bucking. Stock cylinder and cylinder head.

All the parts came together nicely, the hop up chamber is a great of kit and was very easy to install. The fields I play have a limit of 2.4 joule so I chose the 150 spring because I was under the impression that this would give me around 2.3 joule. (150 M/sec with 0.2 gram BBs).

However when I chronoed the gun at the field, I got 153 M/sec with 0.36 gram BBs, which comes out at 4.2 Joule. I tested with two choreographs, and got the same results, +- about 1 M/sec between shots. It seems to shoot very consistently, but obviously way too hot.

I have emailed back and forth with airsoftpro who insist they sold me a 150 spring, and that the excess power comes from the hop up?!

Is my math completely off? Have I misunderstood the spring power rating system?

I have ordered a M140 spring from a local store and will compare...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Spring is most likely the issue. A new spring is pretty cheap, you also could try fitting your old spring to see if your fps is still high. Chrono with .2g so that you get a better idea of the power output you get compared to your field limits. Also, I heard airsoft pro springs suck a bit lol.

Reactions: GrafOrlock

·
Registered
774 Posts
The AirsoftProCZ springs are really off from what I hear from Reliku. If he says it I will mostly agree with him. You are probably better off find a big name brand spring and getting that one. Laylax or PDI maybe

Edit: if you don't want to purchase any more springs, you can cut some coils off at your own risk haha, they are rather stiff from what I hear.

Razinger | The one, The only..

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
The VSR system does indeed increase your FPS some the more you apply hopup. (To a point) Which is one of the reasons why you would want a VSR rifle. Also the airseal is a major factor that you can not really math out.

I only use name brand springs so I can avoid issues like this.

You can cut some coils off or get a few lower powered springs.

Reactions: GrafOrlock

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The airsoftpro springs are crap. They're actually type 96 springs I believe. VSR springs are shorter, so yeah, go figure, that's trouble. They get over-compressed and yield excessively high fps values, like Razinger mentioned.

I have one in my VSR, cut all the way down, it fits only just, and it gives a nice 480 fps, but bear in mind, that's with a 4:1 cylinder:barrel ratio so really inefficient. With a normal ratio fps would go well over 500.

Before I cut it, I wasn't even able to cock it, but I can imagine the fps value with .2 being something close to 700 fps or something. Even if you could cock it, you couldn't use it.

Long story short, don't use airsoftpro VSR springs, they're not suitable. Get a PDI/laylax spring, or cut the airsoftpro spring down to an absolute minimum (may or may not work depending on efficiency of your gun) or use the stock spring (which is probably too weak though) :hehe:

Airsoftpro is wrong, the extra fps is not because of hop-up, they're just selling the wrong springs for the wrong gun. Guess they don't understand physics :shrug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, good to hear I'm not going crazy :).

The airsoftpro spring is 231 mm long, quite a lot longer than the cylinder, but I didn't think anything of it since it's my first build. I'll cut it down to size and compare to the 140 spring I've ordered...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Airsoftpro got back to me, saying their m150 spring is supposed to be 244mm, so it seems pretty clear that their springs are at best inconsistent and at worst just plain wrong for the VSR, and that their power ratings should not be counted on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts