Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you guys do it? Do you use mesh? (if so what kind?) Or how many of you actually use face paint? I have been using a shegmagh with just a traditional head wrap and pull it up over my face once I get to a hide. I have been reluctant to break out the face paint just because I don't feel that airsoft is worth the clean up that is involved with face paint, IMO. Just wondering what methods the rest of you use...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Balanclava/ ski masks tend to work well for me. I agree that face paint is a little overkill, plus I my "battles" are small scale so spending time for face paint I dont see to be very worthwhile, I also hate the feeling of it.

EDIT: If you dont feel like purchasing a ski mask you can just take a black shirt, turn it inside out, put it over your head, then tie the sleeves behind your head...WALA! t-shirt ski mask!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I have used face paint in the past, but only for pics. Reasons being....

1. Face paint=acne breakouts
2. Face paint means you cannot wear any other face protection (besides goggles) over top of the paint. Therefore, your face is open to being hit, and therefore leaving a nasty painful mark.

If it was not for these two reasons, I would wear face paint all the time. I personally love the look and can really benefit you on the field.

I typically wear a foam padding underneath a brown balaclava to protect and hide my face. While it is not as effective as face paint, it does work fairly well. If I am in a position where I am trying to "hide" than I will most likely be in prone, which means my face will not be visible, as it is covered by the boonie and the rifle/veg itself. (see pic below)

So while a balaclava is not the best form of face camoflauge, it does do its job, and I will continue to use one on the field.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use depending on the time of arrival at the site all three.
I use facepaint the most as it doesn't infer with my eye relief when using optics or scopes. Sometime if the fight is going to be short ranged and up close n personal I'll use a half face mesh mask with goggles.
If the weather is cold or theres an increase in nasty flying bitey buggers like mosquitos then I'll wrap in my OD shemagh.

As a tip guys, babywipes (yes the sort for cleaning your baby's backside with) are fantastic for cleaning cam cream/face paint off. They're cheap, disposable and lightweight to carry in your kit. It even just feels good at the end of the day to have a quick clean round the face and back of the neck with something cold and refreshing when you've baked your arse of in a full ghillie in the heat and filth.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Camo paint all the way ;)

I also have a shemag that I wrap around my neck, and if needed can pull up over my nose.

Fuzzy......

If you are worried about your make up coming off.... just carry it with you and do touch ups on the field ;)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
woogie said:
Camo paint all the way ;)
Fuzzy......

If you are worried about your make up coming off.... just carry it with you and do touch ups on the field ;)
Good point, I have a good spot to carry it on my belt. Especially necessary on those hot summer days. Although I rarely use the paint. Mainly due to risk of face shots. :-/

Although, like you said, carry along a balaclava or something for those close range engagements.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I personally run a full paintball mask...but it's the DYE I4 and I haven't shot a rifle where scoping is a problem with it.

Partly this is due to the fact that I don't have the $ to buy a good set of goggles now that I'm legal ;) and partly the mask never fogs, and doesn't use one of those noisy fans.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Camo paint you can really custimize it to create shadows on your face that breakup your face very well. whereas a camo face mask having randomly place colors may put them in the wrong place such as light color on pronounced area or vice versa which will actually make a difference believe it or not. Also for me its not so much about the shooting aspect of sharpshooting, but more so the field tactics and camouflage, idc if I dont ever have a shot, just so long as no one sees, even when they walk feet in front of me. To me that is much more satisfying than a long range kill. So time isnt really an object in other words, I think its smarter to have better camo.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm not afraid of face shots :p I have taken a 0.40g blaster devil to my mouth, result=bb cracked in pieces, teeth took no damage.
I prefer facepaint, my boonie, and my goggles, sometimes I use shemagh too. I'm thinking of getting those teeth protection things that boxers use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use mesh goggle and mesh mask. Sometimes a Polly pair of goggles either for night etc. MESH ALL THE WAY.
I feel sorry for your eyes dude. No way in hell will i ever wear those mesh goggles. All it takes is one low quality or Faulty BB to shatter when it hits that mask and now you have sharp plastic going into your eyeball. I know you may say its a long shot but so is winning the lottery and someone always wins. Ill stick with my Bolle Goggles and protect my eyes as i can not replace them.

I'm not afraid of face shots :p I have taken a 0.40g blaster devil to my mouth, result=bb cracked in pieces, teeth took no damage.
Cracked BB right there further amplifying my point above.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I wear full goggles and a shemagh when I need to conceal my face a little better. Other then that I don't wear face protection unless I'm going to an op which does not have a bang out rule. IE Pine plains. I was told by my friends last that you can tell very quickly who doesn't wear face protection because of chips in the teeth.
At range it's one thing, but when you are point blank with a .25g bb @ 375fps heading towards your teeth I'd rather something be in the way.

To put this into perspective that same .25g bb carries the same kinetic energy as a penny traveling 72mph.

If you use a face paint that isn't oil based your skin shouldn't break out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
To put this into perspective that same .25g bb carries the same kinetic energy as a penny traveling 72mph.
:funny: For some reason I find that hilarious. Maybe it's because I imagine someone getting shot by a penny in CQB >:D.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A penny weighs 2.5g
.25bb is 1/10 the weight
72 MPH = 105 FPS
Which is maybe 1/5 the speed of the BB

I don't get your math. Do you mean 36 MPH?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Shemagh here. I like the feel of it and it doesn't stand out too bad when prone.

However if I'm running and gunning with the M4 I use only my flak jackets. I know they will stop any bb and I'm not really that worried about my face. I rather like bleeding a little bit when the enemy can see me. Gives em a good scare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.