Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well recently my beloved Maruzen APS2 died(both of the threads that hold the screws that attatch it to the stock stripped) and its unfortunantly out of action for a while. I want to get a VSR-10 style gun.
My question is, would it help to keep a lower(450 fps or less) setup for my role as a sniper, as opposed to my APS2's 550+, as almost every single game I am within 100ft of my opponents.
Some say, just use our pistol, but my PX4 is very noisy. I would be getting a G-spec and try to make it as silent as possible if I went down this route.
I honestly don't get much satisfaction out of plinking people away at 80-100 yards as I do sneaking up close and shooting them in the arse.
My other option would be a highly ugraded JG bar-10, and have it at my current 550 fps limit at my field. I have looked into it, and they would both cost about the same.
I guess another advantage to the low FPS setup is that you will be more focused on reconaissance for your team than going out on your own focusing more on the shooting aspect.

I'm basically just asking for your opinions, I am open minded so I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Scar

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had a stock G-spec when I started testing accuracy of these guns. It is very darn quiet I'll say that. Once you start upgrading the springs and what not it got louder. At a 100 feet it is quiet they will never hear you and it is accurate. Now will thy feel it? I am not sure. Based on what you are saying I would get a new G-spec and try it and then upgrade if you feel the need. From a pure functional perspective I do not see the need to upgrade it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, if you were going low(er) fps, definitely get a G-Spec. However, I don't really see the point of going with a bolty if you can't make the longer range shots (200 ft.+). A good idea would be to get a quieter pistol, or make your pistol quieter, and make that able to hit the close range ones. A good idea would be a NBB, they're naturally much quieter.

If you wanted low fps though, a DMR might be a good choice. You are restricted by the fps limits at most if not all fields for a SASR, and you won't get any crap from your teammates, and have more functionality at close range.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally love the challenge of playing against AEG user's with a bolt gun. I have tried the AEG DMR thing, and I don't believe they are worth their weight(I am talking about full size DMR's) IMO unlike Real steel weapons which can shoot hundreds of yards. After looking at all types of guns, and after getting my TM pistol I have decided that any air soft gun I get in the future must at least have a hop unit based off of a TM.

However I do like your thinking Awagg,and as I stated above I am going to remain open to ideas(Recently I was looking at AK's with the TM style hop unit). If you could elaborate on your idea(what type of gun, upgrades etc.) I would be very interested in hearing it.

Now for those interested in what the High FPS setup I would get, take a look at TooManyBB's thread in the commerce section. He has a JG bar-10 with some great internals shooting right at 545fps. Maybe I should just get that and silence my current pistol as suggested? it's already getting 40 yards of range:

·
Registered
506 Posts
inthetallgrass said:
Well I get to 200ft with a 328fps set up. FPS is so overrated. One problem I do admit is that you have to have very honest players or else they wont call being hit as they wouldn't really feel it.
Yeah, that's the thing. You can reach that far, but with gear on, it's very, very hard to feel. You almost have to concentrate to feel getting hit at that distance. Usually I'd never, ever say this, but that might be a good time to aim for the head/upped chest area. It won't hurt, but get their attention so they'll call their hit.

scar527 said:
However I do like your thinking Awagg,and as I stated above I am going to remain open to ideas(Recently I was looking at AK's with the TM style hop unit). If you could elaborate on your idea(what type of gun, upgrades etc.) I would be very interested in hearing it.
Are you talking about the pistol idea? Probably, because it seems like you have the standard VSR build down.

Anyways, I'm not very familiar with pistols, but I'm pretty sure TM makes a nice NBB 911 with some decent upgrades, and hopefully a threaded barrel. You could throw on a little longer barrel, a foamed silencer, and your gun would be nice and quiet, with good accuracy. If you're into upgrading pistols, you can get a better striker spring, and barrel and such...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No if you look at the video, I already have a great sidearm that could be used as a primary if I ran a longer inner barrel. I was talking about DMR setups.

As far as the VSR build goes, I know pretty much all I need to know to construct an outstanding VSR(too much Chairsofting IMO).

Spenser

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, saw the video just a second ago. I think using that should be good if you got it a little quieter, and didn't over hop. You rifle should be able to engage targets that far away (MED), and will much more accurately.

For DMR's, really bigger isn't better, except for looks. Usually they're limited at 450fps, so I'll keep it at that. You'll need REALLY good compression to be sure you can guess where your shots are going to land. You'll be good at sticking with a M130 in there, a TBB and good compression might even get you over the limit, but that's easy to fix. Then you'll want the standard TBB, SCS or H nub, and go0d bucking. For the GB, you'll either want standard 18:1 gears and a torque motor, or torque gears and a HS motor. Both will probably get you the same TR. Then you'll want a standard 11.1v lipo and MOSFET to get good TR, again. Wire it to deans, and you're probably set...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im a complete stranger when it comes to AEG interals unfortunantly. About how much should I expect to spend on a setup like you mentioned?

By the way, the pistol CAN over hop the .3's, which allows me to then tune it down to a flat trajectory. The original bucking had barely any range when using the .3's, as it could not apply enough hop to the bb.

I think I will stick to a Bolty, but I really appreciate the input. If I do go with a DMR one day, I will be shooting you a PM for sure!(or paying you to build one)

Scar

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
More power will give you more range, but you probably wont be hitting what you are aiming at. You have to find a balance between the two sides.

If you have a small field, I would look at more accuracy. As long as your rifle is accurate you will be a great help to your team. If you are shooting a million fps, but can't hit anything, then you are nothing more than a hindrance to your team.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I fit were legal I'd have it at 450-475 fps and a really good hop-up unit. That way you'd get people calling their hits at 200-250ft and you'd get the really long range shots if your good - 300ft. For one joule 150ft is the sweet spot in range. They feel it and it's still accurate. If you have a z trigger and want power but you are afraid of too much noise get a spring more powerful then you want and cut it. That way you'll have the power and the silenced effect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is my field. I guess you can see how it would be easy to make long shots, as well as close ones.

I could just get the Bar-10, get a couple of different springs, and experiment?I could always later get the G-spec or Pro Sniper.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Where Scar and I play the FPS limit for DMR's is the same as bolt action; 550FPS. Also, I would like to note that we play in a massive canyon with quite strong cross winds. With out a high FPS and heavy bbs, your not going to get past 200-250 feet. There are alot of places where you can openly see people 200-300 feet and make upper body shots. I would also like to note that where we play, the people have many normal aeg's that get around the 200 feet mark. Being a sniper; its allways nice to outrange them.

Addition to post: Lots of thick veg that needs to be shot through to get to people, high FPS offers that advantage. My 380-390 fps kwa won't penetrate the bushes at Mr. Paintball.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
toomanybbs said:
Addition to post: Lots of thick veg that needs to be shot through to get to people, high FPS offers that advantage. My 380-390 fps kwa won't penetrate the bushes at Mr. Paintball.
Truth. Like I said, in a month or so I may be taking that BAR-10 off your hands.

As far as Frankenstein DMR's go, they are commonplace. Tim down at AEX is the mastermind behind a lot of DMR builds, and Lawrence(AEX) has more TM M14's than I can count on one hand, one he just recently had @ 600 FPS. Too much in my opinion, but i think he build it just to see if he could do it.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
scar527 said:
toomanybbs said:
Truth. Like I said, in a month or so I may be taking that BAR-10 off your hands.

As far as Frankenstein DMR's go, they are commonplace. Tim down at AEX is the mastermind behind a lot of DMR builds, and Lawrence(AEX) has more TM M14's than I can count on one hand, one he just recently had @ 600 FPS. Too much in my opinion, but i think he build it just to see if he could do it.
Naturally If you have that many of one gun you are going to experiment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.