Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about how y'all run your sidearm holsters. Do you sew them into your suit, wear a drop leg on the inside of your suit and make a slit for access, or any other ideas?

Boone

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I've actually been working with a fellow ASF member recently to make a holster that I can attach jute onto that can directly match the color of my ghillie. Simple design, really. Just using his original holster design and adding a few small cords placed strategically around the holster to tie on jute.

As of the moment, I just use a regular black 5 dollar holster until something gets worked out with the holster he's designing.

·
Administrator
6,160 Posts
Till now I was using drop leg holster, IMHO drop leg are not that good, especially if you move alot.
Now I now have a SERPA holster so I use it on my belt, it's far more practical, and doesn't mess with your foot movement. I now want to buy the Molle attachment for it so I can attach the SERPA on my vests, I think is the best solution!

Wolf

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Till now I was using drop leg holster, IMHO drop leg are not that good, especially if you move alot.
Now I now have a SERPA holster so I use it on my belt, it's far more practical, and doesn't mess with your foot movement. I now want to buy the Molle attachment for it so I can attach the SERPA on my vests, I think is the best solution!

Wolf
I travel way too light to use a vest. Might consider a battle belt or something like that, but all of the vests I have tried end up too cumbersome for my movement.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am working on getting me a holster for my M9 for myself when I'm sniping. I do like the idea of the ghillie concealed holster TheTJ! But I think like a concealment holster such as one that goes on the inside of your pants or boot holster might work. Also I think a SERPA or any hard lock-in holster would work with the right color just put on your BDU and put the back of your BDU over it like I have mine on the back of my pants on a belt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried an idea that someone gave me, putting my holster on the stock of my rifle.
He used to use this, and carry two sniper magazines in his pocket, rather than have belts/vests etc. It means that you don't have to take your trigger hand off to draw your sidearm.
It's an interesting idea, but depending on the pistol, makes a noticeable difference to the weight of the rifle, and my L96 isn't the lightest of rifles as it is.
Also, you need to be able to draw and shoot with the pistol using the opposite hand to your trigger hand on the rifle. This wasn't much of a problem for me as I've spent a whole practicing and can shoot fairly well with rifle or pistol with either hand.
Here's a picture of what it looks like, using a cheap drop leg holster with the belt clip removed and the two thigh straps around the stock/grip;
http://i.imgur.com/cBZkHaX.jpg
Not sure how or if this would work on a gun with a stock similar to the VSR or an M24.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tried an idea that someone gave me, putting my holster on the stock of my rifle.
He used to use this, and carry two sniper magazines in his pocket, rather than have belts/vests etc. It means that you don't have to take your trigger hand off to draw your sidearm.
Hmmm, never thought of this before. Might just have to try it out next game! Thanks :)

Reactions: COLO

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a small MOLLE chest rig that has a sewn-in-layer map pouch on the inside that I put a holster sticking out the top of. The holster is secure with clips on both sides and a buckle/quick release thumb button, all of which is placed very firm up against my chest. Since my pistol is rather large, it can cause irritation from time to time, but thats mostly ignored by the fact of not having to move my arm when drawing said pistol.

Before, I used to just keep it in a dump pouch, but this new idea cut down on movement, prone and stalking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a vest which called itself a "Range Vest" which had chest pockets but MOLLE at the bottom around the midriff. The MOLLE webs are angled at the sides so I put a normal holster on there in a cross-draw configuration, in roughly the same position as a shoulder-holster would put it only much tighter to your body.

The way I came up with that arrangement is I thought if I were laid down on my belly in the traditional sniper-stance, how would I like to be able to draw it with as little movement as possible? Drop-leg requires your stock arm (normally the left) to go all the way from straight out in front of you, to right down behind you. A standard-draw belt holster on the left hip also requires an awkward elbow movement and one that I do like, having the holster on a belt right in the middle of my back would then be obscured when using a ghillie.

I did think of a gun-stock holster as well, but having it mounted on the front of the stock is kind of impractical unless you made the pistol-grip into some kind of fore-grip, and having it on the back of the stock requires almost the same arm movement as a cross-draw anyway.

And yeah, like you said, you have to be able to shoot both-handed. For me this isn't a problem as I am naturally left-handed (writing, shooting pistols, masculine alone-time etc) but I had to learn to shoot rifles right-handed when I shot real-steel because you weren't allowed to eject hot brass across your face, and it's easier for most bolt-action rifles anyway.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
shoulder holster, under arm. It can be hard to reach, but my ghillie is open in the front, and I usually wear a light t'shirt underneath because its so hot in CA.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Necropost... but since this was brought up again...

I use a drop leg on my right leg, usually on the outside of my ghillie (it blends better than you'd think) throwing some of the material over the straps, it works rather well since I usually need to sit to snipe efficiently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I altered a shoulder holster to be lower for my socom mk23 because The silencer kept sticking out so now it is down the side of my chest

1 - 19 of 19 Posts