Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a DE M57a and i am doing all of the general upgrades soon (cylinder, spring, spring guide etc) and i wanted to put a tightbore (6.01mm) inner barrel in it. I then thought, if i custom made the inner barrel, i could make it longer than the generic 640mm long barrel that there already is. This arose the problem of the outer barrel length; it would be too short (and have the stupid orange tip that won't ever come off despite my numerous efforts), so i thought why not make my own?
I have aircraft grade aluminium tubing at various diameters (including 6.01mm and 100mm which is the inner and outer barrel's required diameters respectively) and if i cut the exact same holes where they were on the original outer barrel, why can't i make my own?

Two questions: 1) is 800mm too long? Because my thinking is more length, more accuracy/FPS to a certain extent

2) Would it work in theory?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well the first problem here is barrel length= accuracy/ range that is completely not true read the first sticky on this page: Inner barrels resolved I believe that explains why a shorter barrel can indeed be beneficial.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, so apart from the length, do you reckon it would work? Any suggestions on how to make it better?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You may wanna shrink the inner barrel a little, maybe like 10mm. Also make a 6.03 barrel. 6.01 are only good for cqb (weird right?). So make a 630mm ish 6.03 barrel.

Reactions: Bush Wookie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, yeah, i think i'll shorten the barrel... i thought it would certainly give the intimidation factor with an 800mm barrel haha.

Seriously though, i thought that 6.01's were good for long range... they lied to me at the surplus store.... so definitely 6.03? Are 6.03's better than say 6.05's for distance?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet, thanks for the help guys. In a few days from now my monstrosity will be complete ;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the help guys. In a few days from now my monstrosity will be complete ;)
Post some pics when it's done, Id'e love to see it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i will do man, i'll try to give it a decent custom paint job whilst I'm at it too; any suggestions for that?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yeah i will do man, i'll try to give it a decent custom paint job whilst I'm at it too; any suggestions for that?
Just like polter said. Also I have a good grassland camo that I use. Base OD green, then you find leave and sticks, spray tan on top of em as a stencil snd where there is too much train, you spray green with a leaf/stick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
450mm is SUPPOSED to be the best for a barrel so maybe try 500 or so that would be a longer barrel that would still preform well you could still have a long outer though

·
Resident Toy-Maker
576 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just like polter said. Also I have a good grassland camo that I use. Base OD green, then you find leave and sticks, spray tan on top of em as a stencil snd where there is too much train, you spray green with a leaf/stick.
I heard that one works quite well and looks cool.
I was also going to sort of ghillie up the barrel and scope with dyed Hessian- is there a recommended way to get better coverage on it rather than hessian?

Homemade, not a bought rifle wrap, I'm going for the home grown look on this one as you may have guessed ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
You people are crazy. Bore QUALITY (not diameter) is the determining factor in accuracy. The tighter diameter just yields greater efficiency. In any case, I'm using a 5.98mm and 6.01mm to get fantastic results.
Careful is that a custom barrel you are using otherwise where did you get a barrel like that? With the current barrels out the statement is legitimate if you compare a pdi 6.05 and a 6.01 I believe the results are very similar to the above stated hypothesis.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, Edgi used to make a 5.98, so its possible he could have gotten his hands on one.

·
Resident Toy-Maker
576 Posts
Careful is that a custom barrel you are using otherwise where did you get a barrel like that? With the current barrels out the statement is legitimate if you compare a pdi 6.05 and a 6.01 I believe the results are very similar to the above stated hypothesis.
I have compared a 303mm PDI 6.05 to a 303mm PDI 6.01 and I FULLY stand behind my statement.

EdGI is still in business, and he still does make 5.98mm inner barrels. His products have excellent bore quality and will easily rival a PDI inner barrel in terms of performance.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I have found that if you use a 6.01mm barrel you can still get really good results. They are normally best with shorter barrels like the 303mm. Also they are better normally in Stainless as there is less bend in them. Any bend and the bb will follow the curve.
If I use a longer barrel then I tend to get a 6.03mm as there is more chance with a longer barrel, that it may have a defect or bend.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You people are crazy. Bore QUALITY (not diameter) is the determining factor in accuracy. The tighter diameter just yields greater efficiency. In any case, I'm using a 5.98mm and 6.01mm to get fantastic results.
Yes, quality, and bore size

·
Registered
926 Posts
To echo what careful stated, inner bore quality means more than bore diameter. Prometheus barrels typically work well because their bore quality is better than most. However, the quality of any uncoated steel or brass barrel can be improved by the player with the right materials and a lot of elbow grease (lapping and polishing).

Shorter-is-better is also an arguement based on wanting a straight barrel. There are times when a curved barrel is EXACTLY what you want because if you can control the direction of that curve you can use it to bestow a consistent backspin on the BB better than any alphabet soup hop can dream of. Look up the LRB mod.

Your overall barrel length is primarily a factor of cylinder volume. While there is a limit to how long you can go, given the two factors above allow for more options than cutting your inner and outer barrel lengths in half.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts