Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I attempted a ghillie project, I rushed I to it far too quickly without thinking too much about how to make it. Now, I would like to attempt something similar, but with rafia. I already have some on hand, but would like to hear from some of you who have tried (and perhaps failed) from the ground up what you would use and your techniques for making a suit. I would like to keep the overall project relatively cheap (probably under $70 altogether). Suggestions?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Honestly get a cheap ass amazon leaf suit. You really only need it for the net like material which is good for using raffia AND it’s leafy like structure which helps blend in. Dye some leaves for cheap and add some paint. That should get you a cheap ass setup for $70. I still swear by my north mountain gear. Unfortunately it cost me more because I had to cut up a pair of the pants to wrap my rig and parts of gun!

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it ever a good idea to use raffia as the primary material, and leafs as an accent?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think that depends on your environment, tons of raffia would look like certain areas of dead shrubbery I suppose! If you have the right area it could really blend in. Again even if it doesn’t, add some paint to improve. I think I see where you’re going with this, curious to see what you can come up with!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wouldn't go too mad on raffia.
It's an awesome material that replicates grass really well, but it's also super lightweight, so even with a slight breeze (that wouldn't be enough to shake real grass) it'd give your position away because you'll look like a bush with Parkinson's

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you do use lots of raffia id suggest fraying some of it into thin strands. It's really time consuming but it makes it look a bit more realistic. Also I'm sure you've heard of the coffee/tea method for darkening the raffia as it tends to be too light out of the package. They also take dyes pretty well. I've used acrylic ink/water (1:2 to 1:3) to dye it. I also recently tried using acrylic paint and isopropyl alcohol (1:1) because its considerably cheaper and it seemed to work, guess time will tell if it holds.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do use lots of raffia id suggest fraying some of it into thin strands. It's really time consuming but it makes it look a bit more realistic. Also I'm sure you've heard of the coffee/tea method for darkening the raffia as it tends to be too light out of the package. They also take dyes pretty well. I've used acrylic ink/water (1:2 to 1:3) to dye it. I also recently tried using acrylic paint and isopropyl alcohol (1:1) because its considerably cheaper and it seemed to work, guess time will tell if it holds.
Yes, I've seen the coffee method. Just trying to prepare a bit more for this project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts