Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start building a ghillie soon and have a question on head ware.

I am debating on if i should use a hood, or a Boonie they would both be covered in jute but i would have to wear some kind of face mask with the Boonie, Im torn.

what do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Someone asked me this a couple of days ago, here is my answer:

I suggest you buy a boonie, it's way easier as it actually sits on your head, it won't block your view when you look up. My hood sort of stays in one place because it's quite big, and isn't attached to anything, so if I look up, I look at the inside of my hood
As you may have noticed, I use a hood. I'd prefer a boonie as it moves along with your head. And once it's on there, it won't be getting off any time soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haha that was me pvt13, and I would agree with a boonie because it fits on your head well, but I had and idea the other day. You could possibly connect canvas to the boonie and then tie the jute to that. The canvas can then be connected to your ghillie suit collar loosely so that the headpiece is not separate and is not easily misplaced or lost. Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me too on the boonie hat. It allows you to swivel your head around and also the lip prevents the threads from dangling right at your eyeballs. It's also easier to take the boonie off and attach twigs and leaves to it once you are in the field.

·
Registered
10 Posts
boonie

if you sew netting to the boonie and add a little jute and alot of natural vegetation and it breaks up your head really well, especially if you don't have a ghille suit.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I got a boonie and I glued netting on the hood so it goes around my head (not over face) and some netting over the boonie. really easy to add stuff around your neck without getting ton of it inside your ghillie and without going hot like you would in hood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would suggest a boonie for sure, I watched the art of camoflauge(both parts but the second one is more for the creation of different types) and I was going to go with a hood but changed my mind at the last second and im gld I did, the hood doesnt seem to give that mound effect as you make it to fit your head, the boonies rim forces the jute out and down so that it falls more around your shoulders creating that mounding appearance that breaks up your outline. I attached neeting to the boonie and attached it with jute to my suit, it works very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used a hunting boonie that had a veil already sewn into it and just turned it backwards so the veil covered the back of my neck.. Then I just attached the jute and burlap to the boonie and veil, it was a lot quicker and easier than attaching netting onto a boonie.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I prefer the hood. Ive made boonies, They are cool but I have to worry about them coming off, getting snagged and if done incorrectly if forms a shadow over the face. They are great for it you want to go light and not wear a ghillie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a boonie which i turned into ghillie headgear and i would really recommend it- just cut a circle of netting the same diameter as the top of the boonie, sew/glue it on and tie hessian & natural camo onto that.

if the hessian is long enough, it will work as a hood would, covering your face, head and back of your neck.

Another plus is it's very comfortable and won't fall off if you put it on properly ;)
DPM or Flecktarn are my preferred bases for ghillie suit parts which blend in really well.

I also sewed a OG Scrim scarf onto the hat like a veil which covers your face up to underneath your eyes, protecting and hiding your face.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Wow. You brought up an old dead thread. The original person posted his question back in 2011.
I prefer to wear an olive drab base ball cap with a hood on my ghillie. This was I can walk around without the hood on and without it in my face and then when I do pull the hood over my head (once in a hide) I then pull down some of the camouflaging in front of my face.
This works similar to a boonie except the brim of the cap is stronger and does not collapse so easily. So the scrim is off my face.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.