Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've come across a problem with using my Upgraded(used lightly) CYMA M14. It is shooting at 450 FPS on the dot which is the maximum FPS for sniper rifles at my local field SC Viper. But sadly, only BASR's are considered sniper rifles and my M14 is by their standard "illegal" despite shooting within the FPS limit and only semi-auto which is what they require(It dosent say in the rules it has to be BASR I only found this out by asking). The past couple times I've managed to lie my way in saying I was using .2's when in reality was using .3's, and playing dumb to pass the chrono! It's my only scrim-ready gun and I feel terrible about breaking the rules and lieing to the refs. I was recommended a "crawler barrel" by a friend to solve my problem which according to him is just a standard inner barrel with holes drilled into it. I was wondering if it would be possible to make a "crawler barrel and if so how? Or if there is an easier way to drop my FPS from 450 to 350-400 with out changing the spring (V7 gearboxes are real puta's to work on) what could i do? I need the gun shooting 400FPS or lower with .2's, I'm looking to get the max range and accuracy while meeting the requirements.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cut the spring, port the cylinder, shorter barrel or a larger barrel ID (but that won't get it where you need it to be and still be an effective ID I don't think)

That's all the ideas I have, I've never heard of those barrels before. But me personally, even though it's a pain. I would cut the spring.

·
Registered
838 Posts
easiet is cut spring, or buy another spring ( m100, m110 is ok ) to replace. Port cylinder will decrease accuracy of gun, I don't think it good :D.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definitely buy another spring. You can't reverse drilled holes anywhere and you may want to have the stronger spring for another event later. It's also an inexpensive investment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I have guarder SP85, 90, 100, and 120. Their springs are very consistent across the board I have 3x SP120's and they are all pretty much the same fps bracket. They may be a bit more expensive but the quality is fantastic. If you need any advice on the average FPS of specific springs, I'd invite you to check the link in my signature.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the answers! I do have another spring i could use and I guess that will most likely be what I do, I do plan on buying another barrel, would I be able to just cut my current inner barrel or would that screw with the accuracy and range too much?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Please, for the love of god, whack your friend for me. I can't imagine the horrible accuracy a barrel with drilled holes would give.

Like what's ready been said, just cut the spring. Cut one loop at a time with ether a dremel or wire cutters (methods have been discussed in a recent thread). Cutting loops off does not give a linear decrease in for as I understand it, so only one at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I do plan on buying another barrel, would I be able to just cut my current inner barrel or would that screw with the accuracy and range too much?
Yeah that won't do anything good. You will need to make sure the cut is clean, and you will also need to crown the barrel. On that note, it would also be pointless altogether because the barrel length does not always correlate directly to the FPS of the gun. I've had guns with 509mm length barrels shoot the same fps as guns with 363mm length barrels using the same spring and stock internals.

There are far too many variables to say that cutting the barrel will lower your FPS. For safety's sake, just don't do it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@royaldoa
Awsome! any idea when this will take effect?
@TheTJ
Ok will do, and I'll make sure to hit him for you.

Ill probably just end up swapping the spring everytime when ever i plan on playing there. Again, thanks for the help, I'm still pretty new to internal stuff.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The lower fps will not affect your accuracy, so why don't you just put a lower spring in there and keep it that way? There is no need to have higher fps than 400.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I agree with MJ completely. Anything over 400 is unnecessary.

Some fields began reading FPS with .25's now. New York is one of them... So be aware of the gram weights as well depending on where you go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The lower fps will not affect your accuracy, so why don't you just put a lower spring in there and keep it that way? There is no need to have higher fps than 400.
I know it dosent effect the accuracy, but wouldn't it effect the range?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Not at all. You will run out of backspin to keep the bb in the air LONG before you will run out of momentum. I explained this in more detail in my airsoft physics write up, which is linked in my sig.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Unless you need it for your .4/.43 bb's...
We're talking about AEG's here, not BASR's. I've never wasted a .4 or .43 in my AEG, because .3's perform perfectly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I learned alot and I no longer have any problems with FPS!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.