Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early on I was trying to be the run and gun type, which failed horribly. I wasn’t experienced enough to read where people will likely go based on terrain and honestly, why would you ever enter AEG range willingly as a sniper.

Now I’ve been relegated to a camper, I feel bad about it, but that’s what my team expects me to do when I show up on a field with a sniper rifle. I’ll sit in the woods for 90s minutes guarding one objective or in a tower calling positions and taking shots – for the most part I’m super patient, so I see action maybe for 3 minutes of that 90s minutes

Regardless, how has your sniper style change?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't play much as a sniper, mostly because I'm bad at airsoft (really really bad, atrociously bad I would say), also because my field doesn't really allow "long" shots apart from a couple of spots. Keep in mind that I'm limited to 0.99J and while I have a somewhat significant range advantage on AEG users, they don't take much to close in on me.

I always try to stay mobile, positioning myself where I can take a couple of shots and disappear on a loooong flanking route. This doesn't mean I run around like a headless chicken a la Novritsch because it's a play style I really don't like (I mean, if I'm supposed to rush around I'll just take my AEGs instead)..

Although usually my sniping days only last a round or two, before getting mad at people for not calling hits and cracking out the 30 RPS AEGs.

TL;DR
I'm shit :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
At first, I used no camo, I carried only one magazine and a really shitty M40A3, and I would camp and always look through the scope.
Didn't work out so well, now I camp some but much less, carry as many mags as possible, and I try to blend in while maintaining low drag clothing.
Not as good as a leafsuit, but less delicate and more maneuverable.

I also find myself not trying to get the longest shots possible, as I would give away my location more times than not.
These days I also play DMR, and hopefully MK23 only, but I still snipe the most as it was the main allure to joining the hobby for me.
Obviously, I wouldn't buy a sniper as my first gun if I could start again, and if I did, I would get something with upgrade potential.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My play style was a little more aggressive, which doesn’t always work on the fields near me. Mainly due to the layout. So I guess you could say I throttled back a bit. I said I’d never get into the ghillie world, and that changed in the last year. Woods fields are my favorite, and blending in can give an advantage. I ONLY snipe when I play airsoft. I’d like to think I gained patience as well haha.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@blind sniper

Two things gives me pause about going down the ghillie world…
a) Ticks – Lyme disease is no joke and I’ve known several that got it in my area. I’ll play in a wooded area to some extent…but if its thick vegetation, the irrational fear kicks in hard - I really don't want to sit in it
b) If you show up in a ghillie suit… I feel your team expect more from you… and since I can’t deliver… I don’t want to disappoint.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Man you aren’t wrong about the fear. Mine is snakes. If I’m sitting real still for a long time (which is hard for me to do) I will start to think:

“Man I hope there isn’t a snake nearby”

ESPECIALLY considering we have seen snakes on more than one occasion at my main field. THEN if I rub against a branch or crunch a leaf I jump and scare myself. Possibly give away my position too lol. Last season I found 2 ticks on me though. Little buggers.

As far as the team expecting; I tend to care less than I should. I mean I’m out to have fun and the group of people I play with are the same. Sounds like you might be around the more serious crowd! My local fields tend to have more of a mix of players. Closest one has anything from speedy bois to milsimmers. If anyone expects me to do ANYTHING as a ghillie sniper, they better at least have comms. If I break my radio out you better believe I’m actually going to try and assist with an objective haha.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Lol I have been in the hobby for several years... And still have yet to go to an actual public field. On the few times each year that I do play, it's generally with a small group of friends on someone's property. This offers two benefits:
1. Playstyle is far more relaxed, and I am able to experiment a bit with playstyle without too many repercussions.
2. I generally have the nicest gun (BWAHAHA).

That being said, last time I played I got a little trigger happy.... Let's just say I was shooting when I wasn't supposed too.... Remember folks, always save your shots for during the game 🙂. I have only relatively recently gotten into the bolt action world of things. I used to use an AEG or a DMR that I tried for the longest time to fix into something usable (PM me if you want an excellent deal and don't mind some tinkering lol). I have since ditched that, and am really looking forward to playing an organized match with my bolty. Ahhhh... I can still remember the days..... Sitting back from 350 ft with a spring action FAMAS, feeling like Novritsch aiming through my cheap plastic red cross sight...... Those were the days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts