Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about making the inner barrel shorter? Would I just cut it and make a poor mans lathe and use a skewer and turn the inside out.... I have wood lathe experience and a wood lathe....

Also what do you think of making wood stocks for type 96 style rifles? Good idea or too much work....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure how this would work since I've never tried it. But just last weekend, I saw a tech using one of those plumbing pipe cutters to chop down a barrel. Seems like it should get the job done.
One of these things:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
the pipe cutter is what I used. Make sure you use a quality one and you don't go to fast or you will ruin the cut. I suggest re-crowning it with the de-burrer that is on most of those tools, or a drill and bit.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Wouldn't the pipe cutter squish it first? I have an old one (i mean OLD, like from 60 years ago) That I tried cutting a copper pipe with because it's still somewhat sharp, and it just squished it as I turned it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wouldn't the pipe cutter squish it first? I have an old one (i mean OLD, like from 60 years ago) That I tried cutting a copper pipe with because it's still somewhat sharp, and it just squished it as I turned it.
Buy a new one. I got a $4 one that was okay. You just have to go very, very slow. Put it on and tighten it a little, turn until loose, give a half or one full turn, spin until lose, repeat.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
some hand compression pipe cutters will indeed squash the pipe and leave an internal lip that will then need removing, this can be reduced by limiting the tension on it as you twist it, but it will still happen.

I just use a vice and a fine tooth hack saw, then use a 'scotch bright' pad ( the kind of, usualy green, scourer your mum will use to clean baked on crud off the washing up) to do the crowning and burr removal.

To do the crown I hold the barrel as you would a fire drill stick, with the pad flat on my bench, and then spin it between my palms as fast as possible, changing the position on the pad regularly.... keep doing it until the crown is nice and shiney..... clean the barrel thoroughly..... job done :tup:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I had to crown my stock barrel before I got my edgi barrel. What I did was I put a large philips head screwdriver into a drill to act as a drill bit, then I put the barrel to it as i put the drill on a low setting. It took a few minutes but It crowned it nice and evenly and I didn't even need to polish it because it was semi shiny already. Of course clean the barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.