• hpa

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • spring

Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Definitely HPA as you can put something like a Polarstar F2 in a sniper body with enough skill, giving you a full auto sniper, or you can go with a Wolverine BOLT and have a rifle quieter than a MK23 if you are good at sound mods

·
Registered
895 Posts
"Better" in this case is pretty subjective. At the end of the day consistency is consistency regardless of the system that is used to get there. It really just comes down to whether you care about priming weight (spring) or external tanks/lines (HPA). Tanks can also run empty, while a spring will keep going till your arm falls off. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Spring is more reliable. Less hassle. Can be made to be as quiet as a Mk23.
This is all subjective as a springer can suck and an HPA gun can suck, but with a similar amount of work they can be just as good.

But HPA does require an air tank or C02 capsules, while a springer requires a long and heavy bolt pull which is quite an issue if you are lazy like myself

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
It is subjective. But overall, the spring system is more basic and so has less things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Either system can have consistent output with the right parts/assembly. Hpa is nice because it’s easier to make quieter, more adjustable/quicker to adjust, and with an E bolt you can have a lighter/shorter pull.

I commonly see these complaints for hpa:

-Costs too much. Depending on what you want, you gotta pay to play. Want to keep it cheap? Stick to a Bar10 with an Action Army drop in.

-Oh my god, the air line, it’s SO inconvenient:
It’s really not. Change the fitting location on your rifle or route the line differently from your rig. You can route from the sides or over your shoulder.

-I don’t like having a battery (for the electronic wolverine bolt) Again, that small lipo for an hpa engine withOUT an fcu is no sweat off my back. Plug in the battery, put it in the stock or where ever you choose. Then it can be forgotten. It’s not like a big ass aeg battery that will die. Those little suckers can last months, even being left plugged in. Just take care of them, don’t over charge or leave in super cold or hot environments.

I love an hpa sniper rifle. Specifically the Electronic wolverine bolt. I HATE the bolt M, would not recommend. It still uses sears and a piston essentially. In my eyes you are adding that big inconvenient tank and line to a spring gun. All for what? Not hooking up a battery? The pull isn’t as nice and you’re limited on other mods like trigger blades and straight pulls. (My personal dislikes)

I ALSO love a simple spring vsr. I do think they can be more reliable. Less parts, no batteries, no air lines. You don’t have to worry about running out of air (but if you use a 48 or larger tank you should be good for a day with hpa, just saying). But I appreciate spring vsrs a little more sometimes in the sense that the bolt pull is a little harder, won’t be as short, and they take more tinkering for desired sound and performance output. So I think you should appreciate the in game hits more. With a good air brake and can, a spring rifle can also be plenty quiet just not as easily silent like hpa.

After all that, I love both, BUT, hpa all day.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm more of a "just go with a gas-powered VFC M40A5" kind of guy, so not much to say here... I love the realism of manipulation (bolt, reloads, etc) so I would much rather go with a gas gun than the stiff springers or the ridiculously lightweight and short stroked bolt pull of the HPA ones.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd prefer to have a perfect spring VSR, though I think a perfect HPA gun is always going to be a lot quieter and a little more consistent. I just like being able to show up with my rifle and bbs and play.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have run both, settled on HPA (wolverine bolt) as it requires less maintenance and gives more flexibility (in my experience). Typically I go to different fields that impose different limits. Meeting these is as simple as adjusting the regulator and hopup to match. I advise against the CO2 route as my experience fell far short of expectations in number of shots and consistency. A vsr stock can be modified to fit a 13ci hpa tank comfortably - leaving you free of any trailing tank line.

As suggested by someone earlier, going hpa to have a full auto sniper is pure nonsense. The whole point of a bolt gun is to run a bolt gun.. you want to do anything else then use any other platform. If the field is any good, your limits should be adjusted accordingly. Full auto should never be allowed in the sniper class - semi arguably shouldn't either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definitely HPA as you can put something like a Polarstar F2 in a sniper body with enough skill, giving you a full auto sniper, or you can go with a Wolverine BOLT and have a rifle quieter than a MK23 if you are good at sound mods
how exactly would i go about making a full auto vsr10?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It's really not that difficult as long as you have a vague understanding of things, as you can simply wrap a little tape around your engine, cut the nozzle or get the correct length, and put some sort of thing behind the engine such as a very wide spring.
Below is a picture of a Polarstar F2 inside of a VSR-10 outer barrel leaving quite a wobbly fit, but the biggest issue here is the air fitting thing which you would have to cut a slot for.
Motor vehicle Textile Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bag

1 - 16 of 16 Posts