Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm looking for the best combination of regulator, airline, and tank to supply a ~445 FPS DMR. What do you guys suggest? Budget is ~$250. Thanks!

What I know: basically, I've heard that redline firebase regulators are amazing for HPA, while Palmers Pursuit is excellent for C02. Also, just curious, but what does running regulated C02 through a P* do to it that's so bad? Everyone I've talked to has warned me against it, but nobody has given me the same reason why. What do you guys know?

·
Registered
151 Posts
https://ampedairsoft.com/amped-custom-hpa-rig-firebase/
As you wrote, redline firebase is praised by many.
As its not an slp regulator it is usable with any airsoft/paintball airtank.
But unless you Can find a really cheap Carbon tank, you wont stay anywhere near your budget.

Tank, any Carbon tank will do, just Pick a size you like, i Think a 68 cubic inch is a good size for assault riffles.

https://ampedairsoft.com/amped-custom-hpa-rig-slp/
I use the arx 20 regulator, which exels in Being cheap and durable, its consistent with fast semi shooting on a volverine smp running about 100psi.
I run 100psi because it strangely fits the field rules on all my guns.

Tm hicapa 5.1 4.5" 6.04, 1.2joule on 0.30
M4 10.5" tightbore 6.03, 1.7joule on 0.28
Vsr10 17" 6.23 widebore 2.8 joule on 0.40

downside to this regulator is:
regulated max output of 120 psi, but that shoudnt be am issue of if you use it with a polarstar dmr.
Need a slp tank to use with it as it needs input pressure Below 300 psi.

So with your budget and assuming that you are in the states i would recommend.

https://ampedairsoft.com/amped-custom-hpa-rig-slp/
http://www.evike.com/products/54043/
255usd plus shipping but as the slp tank takes most of the budget, look around to se what you Can find, just make sure its an slp tank(around 300 psi output).

Best regards
G.L

·
Registered
87 Posts
HPA is much better than co2 if you don't mind the tank. Co2 basically has different properties than air, it's freezing cold, enough to burn if that's what you call it, and isn't good for any rubber seals etc in your system.

Ninja lpr reg on an HPA tank was recommended to me and I find it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
926 Posts
I own most of the popular regulators - Redline Firebase, Ninja LPR, ARX-20, multiple Palmers. I do not own a Wolverine Storm.

The Firebase and LPR are very similar in both performance and price and recommend either. I find the ARX-20 to be inconsistent and bulky compared to the Firebase/LPR and only recommend it as an entry step for those on a budget with aspirations to upgrade in the future. The Palmers work fine at a slightly lower price point than the Firebase/LPR, though they remain slightly less consistent unless in a dual regulator array.

For airsoft, I recommend Ninja tanks with a the Pro V2 SLP tank regulator that outputs at 300psi. Not only do these tanks pre-meter the output to a lower pressure more compatible with airsoft, but the also have a dual O-ring design that has a superior seal over other tanks.

You do not need a 4500PSI carbon fiber tank. While they do offer some weight savings and a higher storage capacity, rarely will you need that capacity under normal play conditions. My 90/4500 is used primarily on my HPA SAW, and even then I won't run out of air during a normal day of play. A 48/3000 is typically good for a day of play, 62/3000 if you tend to be trigger happy.

That is not to say you should pass on a carbon fiber tank if it is in your budget, just that if given a choice between a Firebase/LRP and a carbon fiber tank you would be better off with the regulator. You can always get a backup 48/3000 at a later time if you find yourself headed to an extended MILSIM event.

OK, so CO2. CO2 is not retailed by pressure, but rather weight because it is sold as a liquid. This liquid, when in a closed system, establishes a pressure equilibrium based on its temperature. The relationship between temperature and pressure is called the vapor pressure.

In a vapor pressure system, as the pressure is used some of the liquid expands in to a gas to maintain the pressure. This liquid/gas phase transition absorbs heat and makes the system cold. As the system temperature drops, the vapor pressure also drops and is the source of inconsistency in unregulated CO2 systems. What starts as 969psi at 80F drops ~10psi per degree of heat absorbed by the phase change.

When adding a regulator to a CO2 system, the amount of pressure used is reduced so the amount of CO2 that needs to phase shift is also reduced. This leads, in turn, to a decrease in the amount of heat absorbed. Despite this reduction, it is still possible to depress the temperature (particularly at the regulator) below freezing.

Regulators and HPA systems have o-rings in them and all o-rings have a freezing point. While that point for most o-rings is -20F to -70F, they become brittle to the point of shearing well above that. If you shear an o-ring, the system fails.

Another issue in CO2 systems is liquid bypass of the regulator. This can be caused not only from a depressed system temperature but also from the orientation of the tank. A tank securely upright in a pack will be on its side if you are laying down! Once liquid gets past your regulator, your system that is built to withstand 120psi can suddenly be subjected to 800psi, resulting is something blowing out. Never mind how quickly you can end up shooting seriously hot in the process.

This is all not to say CO2 is a bad choice, just that safeties need to be engineered in to your system to prevent issues from happening. Dual regulators, expansion chambers and anti-siphon bottles are typically the core components of an active CO2 system feeding a semi-automatic or automatic airsoft gun. It actually is a much denser pressurized propellant than HPA, but that doesn't mean your footprint will end up any smaller due to the additional components needed.

·
Registered
926 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.