Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I cut about 0.4" off the height of the TDC. Now sits about 0.58" tall. Bad news though: it's unbelievably expensive to make so I doubt anyone will actually be interested besides myself. Costs about $220 including the bits from McMaster. Would come down a little with some volume, but not enough to be worthwhile. I'll have one set made for myself, but that's probably gonna be it.

I guess I should say that this is all machined aluminum costs. Printing is less than 1/3 of that through Shapeways, so that's probably the best option.
Too bad, but I guess that's what I expected.
But, the arm you made should be a decent alternative with a regular TDC.
How does the arm work anyways compared to a nub or the TDC?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I guess I should say that this is all machined aluminum costs. Printing is less than 1/3 of that through Shapeways, so that's probably the best option.
Kinda makes you wonder how Gunsmithy is able to do his TDC, which is pretty much a machined exact replica of the one on Thingiverse.
The Gunsmithy one is smaller, less complicated, and made in large-ish quantities. My one-off complex little system was always gonna be pretty expensive, though I was expecting more like $150.

·
Registered
217 Posts
WOW that's freaking good. Also, what receiver do u have?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Desire for a 5 axis CNC intensifies....

In all reality though a Pocket NC would be epic for custom hopup parts and chambers.... If you don't mind dropping like 7k
I've thought about it, but for the amount of stuff I make it just isn't economical. I'd rather just shops to make my stuff. A personal CNC only seems worthwhile if you are really interested in learning or are into the hobby aspects. I more prefer designing than running machines.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well I haven't gotten motivated enough to start cutting holes in one of my receivers for the full TDC, but I have been messing with those arms I printed. So far, they have been performing excellently. I realized pretty early on that the AA return spring for the arm is way too strong for this plastic (was causing the arm to bend), so once I stopped using those it's all been going really well. I don't think I'll be going back to using the standard AA arm with the pivoting nub.

Also, those nozzles in the last batch of pics work great, though are heavily dependent on cylinder length. I think I have one more iteration for the nozzle design just to guarantee perfect sealing at the bucking. Right now, the long nozzle seals nearly perfectly and has perfect bb placement.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Quick update: put a few rounds through it just out of curiosity. Man does this thing shoot straight. It's shooting like 5.9 joules currently (since I'm waiting to cut the spring down until my cylinder heads show up), but wow. I kinda feel like I should actually range test it before I cut it down to field legal power levels. There's a good chance it would beat the record my Crimebuster set years ago (which was 176 yards, but not field legal).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Looks good, but most certainly out of my price range lol.

As for that 176 yard shot, what Joules? What BBs?
Overhop?
Holdover?
Elevated firing position?
Very high altitude?
Eh, something like:
-4 joules
-0.69g bbs
-slight overhop
-20 degrees of holdover
-no elevation advantage
-sea level

This wasn't in game obviously, just me messing around with an awesome gun and a rangefinder. I'm still annoyed that I haven't beaten it with any of the guns I've made yet, though I also haven't tested any of mine above like 3.4 joules. It's a lot easier to crank up the psi on that Crimebuster and see what happens, lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
176?! Nice! I really want to do this sometime (also want to make a high rise adjustable angle scope mount to really stretch the max range, even if it is mortar launching them) but the later part of that word is what I have trouble with "time" lol! What was your sighting mech for the 176? Hope to get to do it with my son as a project when he gets old enough. Very nice looking TDC. Please do test the range if you can, my curiosity is really getting the better of me as your setup is one of, if not, the most solid and rigid setup that I have seen.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
That's pretty good, I think my best is 135m with a 3.5J gun firing .48s.
Decent hop, not too much arc, but definitely a bit
Lots of holdover too, 15 or so feet
And, I was at least 20 feet up in a barn, plus about 5 feet because I was standing.

I struggled to hit a large oil drum though, so definitely not worthy for a game lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Looks like I'll be getting the rest of my parts in sometime this week, which means I might be able to do some actual range testing next weekend. Hoping for good results.

I also have been working on my buddies gun (similar overall setup to mine), but with my one-piece arm/nub instead of the TDC. It also seems to be shooting really fantastic at field legal power levels.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts