Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ScopeCam. I really like this thing, even though the first one lasted one day. LOL
Had to do a warranty swap.

I have a POV cam. Its an SJCAM and it seems to work pretty well. 4K and about $100.
It works well enough.

I now want to try anything but a GoPro.Not because I cannot afford it, but because I like to root for the underdog. :cool:

I am thinking maybe an Akaso Brave 7.

It checks all the boxes:
4K 30fps
Image stabilization.
Wrist remote (I kind of like this idea)
I think it uses the same batteries as my SJCAM
$170 at Amazon.

I could also get another SJCAM.
The SJ6 has a lot of the same features.
4K @ 24fps
166 deg HD lenses
Optional remote ($17)
They run about $120
So $140 ish total.

The other oddball idea is an SJCAM vertical
I dont think the image is Worldstar HipHop vertical, just the layout.
I think the specs are the same as my 4k version.

I dont think I want a 360.

I may move the 4K to the rifle selfie and the new one as the POV.

I am still learning editing, so that maybe why I want one more.
lets go all out of software curves as well. LOL

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
For airsoft you want high frame rate as it will look smoother, and you can do slomo that doesn't look shit.

Gopro is about the best in terms of this, with the 8 and 10/11 being the best for that.

For buying a gopro, buy used and get a bunch of batteries, and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Raptor
204 Posts
For airsoft you want high frame rate as it will look smoother, and you can do slomo that doesn't look shit.

Gopro is about the best in terms of this, with the 8 and 10/11 being the best for that.

For buying a gopro, buy used and get a bunch of batteries, and you'll be golden.
This. If you can wait a month, you should be able to snag a 9 for a good price, as they unveil their new stuff in late September usually. That's what I currently have. I run 2.7k60 Superview as I find that gives a good FOV with minimal motion blur. The Hero 10 can do 4k60 Superview which I really wish I had, but here's hoping the 11 will do even better.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Does anyone run an 8-9 with a powerbank? Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 8 has the sd card, battery and charge port under the same cover. A 5/6/7 has a separate door for the cable. I just didn’t want to have the battery and sd card door off to run a powerbank

·
Registered
2017 Ford Raptor
204 Posts
just out of curiosity, no one else can do what GoPro can do?
hummmmmmm......

This could be fun then
Yeah, they are the market leader for a reason. Their software sucks tho, unfortunately

Does anyone run an 8-9 with a powerbank? Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 8 has the sd card, battery and charge port under the same cover. A 5/6/7 has a separate door for the cable. I just didn’t want to have the battery and sd card door off to run a powerbank
Nah, I have 3 batteries (4 now, my dad gifted me an Enduro) and a charger. More than enough for game days. I run mine in a case because I don't want a stray bb destroying my front screen.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I just use some app on my phone these days, videos are fine but my phone camera could be better.
But I'd say that the camera is more important than the editing as you simply can't fix blur.

Here's an example of a mediocre camera and beginner editing on a decent mobile app.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My rule of thumb (and this is just my preference) is one powerbank per camera. Then, no matter how long the op/milsim/walk on day is; I don’t have to change or charge anything. However I will swap SD cards for big games half way through the day. I’ve had SD cards corrupt on me and it ruined a full day of epic ghillie sniping. 😑 But anyway a gopro hero 7+ definitely gives you some crispy footage and has good image stabilization to offer. Especially the newer ones mentioned above!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd read this post yesterday, and looked into the cameras you were looking at getting, and unfortunately I can't really say they'd be something that I'd really see as a possibility in most scenarios. My problem with both of them is the sound quality - and having at least one (I'd recommend two for redundancy) camera with good audio quality is a must. Both the other ones you were looking at, the Akaso 7 and the SJCAM, seem to be lacking in audio quality. You can have decent or even amazing video, but if the audio is terrible, it'll be difficult for people to watch.

But being that you said you were trying not to go down the GoPro route, I don't really have any experience outside of GoPro. If you can find a decent used Hero 7 Black for less than $200, I'd definitely recommend going for it as it's going to be able to do most of what you're asking of it. My scopecam is a modified Hero 7 recording at 2.7k/120fps and it holds up just fine, minus the fact that it'll overheat in about 20 minutes if I don't take special care of it. If I'm recording at something simpler like 2.7k/60 or even 1080p/60 then it'll last for a bit longer. As Blind mentioned, going down the route of a powerbank will give you some longer recording times as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
funny you should mention audio...... :LOL:
Story to follow.
First go at recording stuff went south as south can get without my head catching on fire from an exploding battery.
The POV can I had it recording the way it was supposed to, but I failed to turn on sound, or stupidly turned it off in the app.
So the only good footage I got was handgunning to death one of my fellow dress-lie-a-bushers. But no sound.

The Scope cam I did better but did get the record on off button backwards a few times.
Than when trying to get more footage off the camera, it took a dump.

Today I wanted to go do some testing as I wanted to see how I liked my Vortex PST 1-6 over the Bushnell 1-4.
Figured while I was doing that I would test the cameras out. I was also going to shoot some 22LR Precision.
I try and get 5 impacts touching at 110 yards. Not a really easy thing to do with that round that far. I wanted to use the scopecam to catch hits.
Also having an issue with feeding and the mags seating properly on the VSR. Also wanted to see how good the .45bbs would do.

I was trying to get both cam footage and some stills from my cell (Note 22, which takes great pics), so I could play with the editor some more and learn that.
I got the POV cam footage. A few clips that give some pretty cool angles. I liked that.
Guess what, I STILL have not turned on audio...... :LOL:
The scopecam....LOL, I have no clue, but there was ZERO footage. I did not test the new one when it came in, just stuck the SD card in it with the other footage on it.
I think that was a mistake. LOL. I did check FW and settings, and seemed 100% normal. Well, that was wrong think.

Messing with it now to figure it all out.

It kinda of sucks as I was really hoping to catch what I see shooting. I can just catch a glimpse of the 22 bullet doing its elevation drop.
I can see it come from the top of the scope to the impact point. All of a 1/2 second or so. I have the VSR propped up within 6" of the 22.
PLUS I wanted to Play with Corel.

Here, so the day was not a total loss of sharing with the class.

110 yards. with variable winds.
Wolf Match grade 22

Grass Gas Art Pattern Carmine

For size reference US quarter dollar.

Gesture Liquid Art Grass Tints and shades

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is it possible to record audio separately though?
There's a few ways to go about doing this, I've wanted to take a look into this myself but haven't had the money or the reason to just yet. Something like the DJI Mic or Rode Wireless Go 2 - they're wireless mics that can be worn anywhere, have great sound, great battery life, and great features. They're super nifty, they come in the pack of two and a receiver that doubles as a charging case. You don't even need the receiver though - they can record straight to the wireless mic itself, so you wouldn't even need to worry about having some crazy setup. Just the wireless mic and maybe a wired microphone connected to it if you wanted it to be protected.

But that's also you would need to really consider when you're going down that route - microphone placement. These are mainly meant for people who are using this to record professional audio in general settings, and not much action is present. If you're crawling through bushes, or if the microphone is on your collar or shoulder and you've got some extreme range of motion going on, it might pic up some crazy audio. But in those instances, that's where having multiple cameras recording decent audio comes in - you can always switch to another audio source if your primary one is having a period of "unpleasant" sound. I do this frequently when my POV audio (which is my primary) is going through heavy wind to the point where it's all you can hear, but another camera may have had better luck with the audio in that instance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to have fun with it. I dont know why. Maybe learning new tech while playing with toy guns.
I dont see this as a money maker, just goofing around.
I got some pretty good USPSA and probably some fun 3Gun footage.

My fav. is my AimCam footage (Aimcam.com). Basically glasses with a built in cam.
Its neat, but not top quality.

I also do a let of tech training and the likes for my day job. I can usually figure out software pretty easy.
Being great at using new SW is a different story.

So, seeing as I am not really wanting to impress the masses with dazzling footage and pro level gaming, I will just have fun and try to tell an interesting story.

I am sure taking notes, so dont think I am not appreciative.
A mic is also one of the things that is high on my mind.
Funny thing is, I am pretty ******* sounding, so need to factor that in too. LOL
Some of my Training calls I do probably confuse those on the other end. I deal in telematics and the analytics/data of the end users.
So not only the whole dumb thing, I have to keep them entertained along the way. Seems to work pretty well.

Adding commentary in the right places is one thing I like about a LOT of Youtube channels.
I do have one of the best Headsets with top level mic features. So, that is one less thing I need to worry about.

I can talk all this smack, but I gotta get some daggon footage and start learning.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts