Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this video while browsing youtube. It's been more than 2 weeks so they might have made some improvements. Thought I'll share it here for those who haven't know. It's in traditional Chinese though, so get your translator if you want to note every detail!

The chrono in the test, with its factory spring (M120 rated) would result in 8J with 0.43 bb. That's insane! Sniping in airsoft could never be the same anymore with this one!
Correction : It is actually in J/cm^2, so the actual result would be more like ~2J just like @wyz2285 stated

Unfortunately they don't show us the cylinder disassembly process yet. I suppose it would just be like SRS, where we could take the dust cover off and slide it out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's J per cm2... If you do the calculations with the speed is about 2,3J with hop set for 0.2 or open.
Issue with these large cylinder diameter is it scales poorly once you start apply hop as the resistence is too much (same spring applied to larger piston area results in less pressure). In the video once the guy started to adjust hop up he even said he can not get flat trajectory because more hop, lower m/s (although not alot in my view), BB still drops (or bad trajectory), since there is no sweet spot where the back spin is balanced with the speed. I'm fairly certain the issue is the ICS Master Mod bucking system not hoping properly.
looks better than the SRS for me tho.
Rest of the issues are minor, mostly screws lose on the hop up, magazine etc.
People need to realize air volume doesn't mean much. Scout has tiny cylinder compared to these and it shoots great.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The market is increasingly saturated with bolties, but the tried and true platforms are generally going to be the first port of call for a purchaser - unless the manufacturer can break the mold. Will be interesting to see other reviews when the refinements start to be implemented, be that in aftermarket parts or w/e.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll stick with the APS platform for now only because of the spring loaded mag 🤣

I'm starting to grow an interest to VSRs though, I want that bunch of different option for tactical stocks which APS2 scarcely has.

·
Super Moderator
4,170 Posts
I kinda want one. Think I may part ways with some guns for one. I have some ideas.

Seems like no one has them yet.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Gosh diggity, that'll probably be 8 pounds with a normal scope and suppressor, probably good to keep that in mind for anybody planning on getting this as a weapon used often.

The outer barrel and hop setup are interesting, very reminiscent of a VSR, but the bucking and barrel are a bit of a disappointment as they seem to do poorly, even in a few of the "non biased" reviews I've seen. I bet that with a decent bucking, lapped tight barrel, and some general shimming there could be improvements, but this seems to be the only lacking area so far.
The outer barrel seems to be inviting either a longer inner barrel or an integral suppressor, as if one removed the tube on the muzzle end cap you would have a rather suitable section to add some sort of foam or hard core/baffle setup. I'd opt for baffles in this situation, as they are better when dealing with large volumes of gas. It would probably do some good to have whatever barrel spacer pushed back 10-15cm from the end of the inner barrel to make way for foam disks surrounding the inner barrel, as a baffle stack in front of the IB muzzle would direct sound and air backwards and into that foam. It would.

As for the cylinder, I'm not a fan.
If you know anything about physics you'll know that there's no such thing as a free lunch, meaning that the increase in diameter will result in an exponential increase in piston head surface area. This means that there is more resistance from the air being compressed by the piston, which will push the piston backward and will inhibit it's acceleration when compared to an equivalent weight piston of a smaller diameter.
Another downside to this is you will always be overvolumed which will make your gun louder, requiring a form of airbrake to get it below a certain sound level. We already see this with people running Silverback SRSs with too short of a barrel, and likewise with VSRs with inefficient barrel lengths. When you are properly volumed and weighted for your desired power and BB, you should not require an airbrake to get reasonable sound levels, as there should be no significant amount of excess air exiting your muzzle.
Tldr; a fat short cylinder will make less efficient use of spring power when compared to a longer and slimmer cylinder of the same volume.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I mean off the bat I'm already dismissing it just based off the overall look of the rifle - can't say it doesn't look good to me. It honestly looks like a Beefed Up Tac6. That and... that magazine. I really don't see a viable way of storing that magazine in most conventional pouches, even if you'd got a custom Kydex mag holder. And you're telling me it holds 50 rounds... Normally I try to carry at least 200 rounds on me for 20-30 minute games (smaller, arid, open area fields with not much cover means lots of shooting), so having 3 of those in some weird magazine pouches... no, I'll pass.

The hop up seems like a good step in the right direction as it's got the twin adjustment like the SRS, but also the TDC adjustment. It sounds perfect in theory, and while I have no translation for the first video that was posted that actually has a shooting test at 60m, the rifle and his body language speaks for itself. It's possible the hop up just needs to settle and be adjusted further, however I can't say I was greatly impressed with it.

But overall, I'm glad ICS is dipping their toes into BASR's. I had 2 ICS M4's before I switched to sniping, and they were innovative with the split gearbox design. I absolutely refused to take apart my old JG M4 because I was young and dumb, and knew I'd lose pieces and do everything wrong, and didn't have the technical knowledge or experience to reassemble a gearbox and tune it to be perfect. That changed with the split gearbox - your piston/cylinder/spring is what normally needs the most attention in an AEG, so they made it more available for those who didn't want or need to get into the rest of the gearbox. I hope this is their first step into BASR's, and they start innovating in new and creative ways. While I don't need another sniper right now (the Striker and Tac41 are more than enough), I'd love to have some options in the future and start expanding my gameplay.

On another note, Airsoft CamMan said that he's been playing around with it.. I'd love to see his next video and what he thinks of it - and hopefully Runcam pushes a new firmware update for their Scopecam Plus soon, too...

·
Registered
194 Posts
61cc cylinder - I suppose you could, in theory, match the barrel length to the volume of the cylinder but the initial measurement seems high....not that I'm trying to infer that it's incorrect but it's a ridiculously large cylinder, which serves no good purpose that I can see. It arrives with a 510mm barrel. Assuming (I know....) a 6.04mm internal diameter that equates to 11.02cc, or as 1tonne (and presumably) other folks like to work in cubic millimeters 11,022.58mm3 for the internal volume of the barrel. Quick napkin maths suggests a ratio of 4.11:1.......

Might be the first time I've made the suggestion of reducing the cylinder volume!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder, would wide bore barrel could actually gives an advantage in this case if we want to have a shorter barrel.

Might be the first time I've made the suggestion of reducing the cylinder volume!
This could be a new speed bolty, short stroke it so it has the pull length of an ares but still quite big of the volume that it could perform like a normal upgraded VSRs

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it would need to be a drastic modification - I make it 1.7x the volume of an AA VSR cylinder. If we were throwing .48s downrange then instead of a 400mm barrel to get us into the area of a decent ratio (let's assume that's 2.8:1 - even if we have leeway either side) then we'd be rocking what, 750mm of the inner barrel to avoid over-volume?

That's a lot of sorbo pads in order to drop the capacity to more moderate levels Short-stroking seems more viable.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
This would be a great opportunity for a ported cylinder, which I'd wager would actually BOOST power depending on what spring you're using. If a spare cylinder could be had for less than $75, I think it'd probably be worth porting one gradually to see what the optimal cylinder length would be.
It'd also be interesting to experiment with airbrakes as you would have a huge cushion of air after the BB has left the gun, which would decelerate the piston very quickly without physical contact, therefore probably making the gun quieter than anything that currently exists. In the two SRSs I've shot, they were about as quiet as my old spring VSR with an O-ring damper, but I felt that they could actually beat the VSR for sound while remaining at a reasonable power level, after lots of modifications of course.

This is seeming more like a gun for extreme silence than I had originally thought, but that will all depend on how good the thing is otherwise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Potentially, I guess so.

That said...it does depend on how it shoots and the rest of the foibles a new design brings. If I wanted an extremely silent gun without any fear of "what if" my first port of call would be a G-spec but the ICS might well be as silent as anything else could ever be, and still retain a healthy amount of power. I'm still leery of a three-way hop, on the basis that every hop I've tried with multiple adjustment areas (PDI 2-lever springs to mind, and I think Laylax may have made one for the APS) fell short of my expectations.

We'll see ^^

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah, multi screw hops sort of suck, save for the MK23.
In theory it's a good idea as you can correct for any curving shots, but that's kind of dumb when the gun should shoot straight and not need that. Like shipping a phone with a bunch of replacement batteries, rather unnerving as you wouldn't need them if the original wasn't bad.
Time will tell, as Airsoft Mike videos are essentially a 20 minute version of reading the product's description, but you're mildly annoyed afterwards. The Taiwan guy seemed to know what he was talking about, but I sure didn't as he seems to have disabled the CC button on all of his videos.

I do like that there's now a lot more options in the sniper realm that are much closer to decent than just a few years ago as there will actually be good variety. Once there's enough out there, companies will start to compete by pricing, features, and looks, which will all be good for the consumer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do like that there's now a lot more options in the sniper realm that are much closer to decent than just a few years ago as there will actually be good variety. Once there's enough out there, companies will start to compete by pricing, features, and looks, which will all be good for the consumer.
Say what you want about him, but I do think that's a big part of Nov's doing. Not necessarily the SSG series of products, but just the fact that he made sniping popular again. Who would want to buy a bolt action spring sniper that shoots 1.5j when you could buy an AEG for the same price that also shoots 1.5j, and send 50 rounds your way in the time it takes you chamber the next round? And you'd have really tune it, troubleshoot it, and upgrade it, to make it even comparable. I think the Sniper Scopecam boom really made companies actually start innovating and making improvements to where you didn't need to replace all the internals out of the box.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Oh for sure, if the YouTubers like him, Silo, Cleanshot, Camman, Mustang, and whoever else hadn't done their thing I'd bet that we'd have a quarter of the shit we do now, and there'd be way less people playing.
There's still only one sniper at the place I go, and that guy rarely even fields that gun, so it's probably about time I build a new rifle and get the dumbass "sniper certification" thing my current field has.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some of those influencers may have broadened the appeal but painted an unrealistic picture of sniping.....not to mention the manufactured/staged drama, toxic behaviour and all that attendant rubbish.

But I guess that in some ways we got product that addressed a few lacking areas.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts