Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had put this gun together I was waiting on my friend to make me the proper spacer for this gearbox. I measured it out that I needed a 5mm spacer, however we had a huge op that weekend so I went and bought some fender washers which was at 3mm in length total when I stacked two together. This is what happened and shows the importance of a perfect AOE in high fps setups.

This is the piston setup. Notice washers between the piston head and piston.

The plastic behind the piston failed however the piston rack is still in excellent condition.

Machined rexlite which is to replace these washers when I receive a new piston. It is threaded all the way through and includes a indent and nipple for the piston head to rest in as well as a way to lock the three together.

This is the AOE with the fender washers.

This is the AOE with the proper spacer.

I don't think that the failure was due to the structure of the piston. I ended up going with a different brand piston though because of time constraints. I didn't want to wait a week and a half on shipping from somewhere in Cali. The new piston is a laylax/prome piston for helicals. So we will see how it handles my setup.

EDIT: On a side note I noticed whenever a piston fails on the modify gearbox it spits out the plastic instead of grinding it on the gears. I'm not sure if its just luck or what, but I thought it was worth noting.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The original piston was a deep fire half tooth for helical gears. It is actually a fairly common break when the AOE is off. Although if your AOE is fine you won't see it often. =P

The spacer was custom turned on a lathe to fit what I needed. I wish I could point you to a place where they make custom spacers the same way but there isn't one unless you know people in a machine shop like I do.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm surprised the rack didn't cave in first. Anyway, why are you using a chunk of metal as the piston spacer? You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually sheered off due to the high mass of the piston.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used metal as the spacer because I couldn't wait on someone to make the spacer for the OP that weekend.

Also, it probably wasn't a mass issue. The spacers have less mass then that piston head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.