Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
People have had this discussion on this form already. I believe a 6.01 will be overkill. The 6.03 is the money shot of the barels. With a 6.01 or less you will have to make sure there is no debris in the barrel so you dont scratch it and ruin it thanks to sand. A tightbore isnt made for a FPS boost it is made for accuracy. The tighter the barrel the closer the groups.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry if it seem like I posted without searching the forums first, but I came up with the question because the debate didn't include any info on the effect of barrel lenth on accuracy. I was curious if barrel length contribute to the accuracy of the rifle(as in real steel guns). Is a longer barrel more accurate than a shorter barrel? Sorry, Rabbit, I didn't mean to annoy you.... My bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a matter of lots of debate on numerous forums.

Many VSR users have claimed that without the boreup kit the 555mm barrel is less accurate than the 430mm barrel of the same diameter. Maybe this is due to the cylinder volume and how it accelerates the BB and for what length down the barrel.

Some claim to have cut down the 555mm barrel and that around 480mm is the optimum length to give power and accuracy.

I myself have the 555mm barrel in my m40a1 and found it works fine on a gas rifle. The gas supply accelerates the BB differently and maybe this expansion of gas favours a longer barrel.

Many suggest a longer barrel is actually disadvantagious, however they offer little to back up their claims. I feel that AEG's will struggle with super long barrels due to shorter stroke cylinders with less volume. However, as always there is much guess work and myth with this equipment.

I know the 6.03mm 430mm barrel is the commonly fitted tightbore to most VSR rifles and that some claim that at 560fps (around 3 joule) they can get 3-4cm groups at 25m and 15-17cm groups at 50m (tested indoors with 0.29g SGM pellets from prone sand bagged firing position).

Recently PDI released a statement that basicly said 6.01mm is fine for power, but if you want accuracy you should buy a 6.07mm that they are releasing soon.

This is probably not that true, but suits the Japanese market which limits all guns to under 1 joule (328fps).

I feel that 6.01mm barrels are badly over priced compared to similar items with slightly wider bores. I like value for money, so do not have 6.01mm

At the moment the demand for VSR LAYLAX 6.03mm barrels is very high and they are really hard to source in the UK and even HK dealers can be out of stock much of the time. I read the tolerence on the laylax barrels is actually not that high (+/- 0.02mm) so for the same price I opted for the higher tolerence 6.05mm PDI (+/- 0.004mm)

The PDI 6.05mm 555mm works like a charm in my m40a1. I hope to put up some groups soon.

Hope that helps (but may confuse ???)

Good Hunting

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well, the stroke of a spring rifle would not have an effect, as it is a manual cocking system, and we don't recycle our bolts before the bb leaves the barrel, so length really wouldn't have an effect.

Also, I know Oakey (Shoots a stock VSR barrel, I think it's a tightbore though) and I've seen him get out to 90 yards easily, I mean.. I'm sure their could have been some lob, or a good hop up, but reguardless, he hit it.

It was from that shot that I made the assumption to believe that barrel length will not significantly effect performance and/or accuracy, so bare that in mind.

Now, about the diameter. With a 6.01 you will see more power, that is certain, a tighter bored barrel makes for a tighter seal around the bb, making more pressure and more power, that's basic physics that I think anyone here can agree on, whether it be 5 or 10 FPS more than a 6.03, it'll be there.

Secondly, you have to know that with a 6.01, if you get even one grain of sand in your barrel, chances are it's bye bye for the internal portion of it, because that one grain of sand will catch onto a bb and it would be like taking a car key to the inside of it, if you could imagine that.

Now, with a 6.03, you'll notice that you can have a pretty gunky barrel and still shoot, knowing that no harm will come to it, because the bb can fit around that grain of sand, and continue on it's journey, of course.. Accuracy would still be bad, but at least you'd know that your barrel was good.

My advice is if you can't keep a clean barrel, go with the 6.03, but if you really want tight grouping and a little extra sass, go with the 6.01 . Of cource, the grouping difference will be at most.. 3 inches, but still.. It's there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Good to hear about all your opinions. They are more than valuable to me. It was kind of a dumb question to ask when I already have a Prometheus 554(555? Can't remember) on the way.... Thanks again for all the advise!
By the way, Livonia(and anyone esle who have handled such long guns), I've always wondered if that beautiful L96 is a pain to haul around? It's just so long! lol

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nah, I've used/shot Livonia's rifle for one game, wasn't a big deal for me. I think mine is about 50mm shorter than his, it might be a bit more, but it's about same.

Either way, it takes a minute to get used to, but you get used to it suprisingly quick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good. Thanks for the confirmation. I was a bit worried. I think maybe I will play around with that length, and if it ends up too long for me, I'll just get a 430mm inner barrel and take of the silencer. That should be easy enough. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here it is

to the info that may prove helpful on PDI 6.05mm, 554mm barrels, although it is a field test and not a scientific bench test by any means.

Also shows the 2ROY VSR conversion kit in a tanaka m700 based system (both m40a1 and LTR) with identical parts.

PCS is set slightly different but not much in it. My m40a1 was running about 20fps higher on the day.

Good Hunting ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.