Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have a question about the SRS/TAC-41 internals before buying.

While my local rules limit BASR to 2.3 J which shouldn't be a problem, events like Berget allow 4.7 J for heavy sniper classes respectively so I'd like to be able to hit that level if possible.

So is there a spring/piston combo that can get these rifles to hit 700 fps?
  • The 145 N spring seems to get it up to about 500 fps, has anyone tried it with the lightest setting on the variable mass piston?
  • Is there a more powerful, compatible spring on the market?
  • Are the Novritsch SSG springs compatible?
  • Are there any other options I don't know about?
Eager to hear your thoughts,
Muleo

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a MLC 338 (mostly stock), with .45bb and Laylax SP170 spring - I was able to get it up to 4.2J (with .20bb I was at 3.5J). I would however never play with that as it's way too dangerous for someone on the other end...

I would imagine with a Laylax SP190 spring, you could easily go over 5J on .45bb (and I would wager a little over 4J range for .20 bb?), however I couldn't install it via traditional methods. So I can't confirm if it would work

The secondary issue is...why would you ever want to snipe with .20bb? you won't have any sort of consistency in your shots. Plus your range would be dramatically lower than using heavier bb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not familiar with the MLC 338, does it share a cylinder/spring system with the Silverback rifles? Why couldn't you install a SP190?
I would however never play with that as it's way too dangerous for someone on the other end...
Their safety distance with 4.7J is >40 m so I guess it's OK

The secondary issue is...why would you ever want to snipe with .20bb? you won't have any sort of consistency in your shots. Plus your range would be dramatically lower than using heavier bb
I don't, just a convenient way of comparing because some fields chrono at .2, but maybe I should have only mentioned joules to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes it is possible, but a rifle at 4.7J on 0.2 could be over 6J on .48.
If you accept an advice, do nit bring the muzzle energy over 4J on .48, its really pointless and wont gain further effective range over that with the same bb weight.

What you will need is a VMP, a guarder m150, few washers on the spring guide, and no airbrake. In theory that should be enough to reach the J level on 420mm barrel.

But again, its really really pointless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you accept an advice, do nit bring the muzzle energy over 4J on .48, its really pointless and wont gain further effective range over that with the same bb weight.
Yeah I suspect so, but I'd rather try it and find out for myself rather than find out the rifle I bought can't do it at all

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I suggest that you don't go above 3.6J with .48g as any more power will make your gun very loud and very inaccurate.
To accomplish 3.6J, just use whatever BBs you want to use and get a spring with that power.
The weight the piston until you get the highest joules with your desired BB on the hop setting you will play with.

But if you can afford ceramic .69g BBs and Berget allows them, definitely use 4.7J and ceramics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Unfortunately I’m not versed enough on the silverback SRS or TAC-41 platform

My understanding is that both the SRS and TAC-41 are on a different system as compared to the VSR-10. Therefore parts crossover is very limited and less data are out there.

I was just giving my MLC-338 as a frame of comparison. This is because from what I’ve heard about the TAC-41, they have a larger nozzle diameters (which is the same case for the MLC-338) and output more air than a normal VSR-10 system.

The MLC-338 has a quick change cylinder system, I can literally change the cylinder(spring), if I op to buy a second cylinder unit in 15 seconds. However that quick change system disallows me from easily putting a SP190 spring in (because I can’t supply the force to lock the seer back into place). I’m not going to try and risk damaging my receiver. As is, I can reach 4J+…which I’d never use in a game

I have to also second faceless’s views, you might get 5 or 10 meters at most going from 2.7J to 4.7J. But if you mistakenly shoot someone at 30m, you would break skin at 4J. There is nothing sportsman like to hurt another player.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I suggest that you don't go above 3.6J with .48g as any more power will make your gun very loud and very inaccurate.
To accomplish 3.6J, just use whatever BBs you want to use and get a spring with that power.
The weight the piston until you get the highest joules with your desired BB on the hop setting you will play with.

But if you can afford ceramic .69g BBs and Berget allows them, definitely use 4.7J and ceramics.
My srs is inaudible from 2 meters at 3.8J :) it's easy to build that.

.69 and .67 ceramics are not that expensive as scammers sells them, you can get 1000pcs at ~200$.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I know that you can get them for that much, but ¢5 per shot is still quite expensive.
That's cheaper than I've seen them on Alibaba, where do you get yours?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah I suspect so, but I'd rather try it and find out for myself rather than find out the rifle I bought can't do it at all
If i dont offend you, would like to point out the human factor of the topic...
If you have years od experience shooting at 2.7j and you suddenly jump up to 4j+ it can easy ruin your gamedays... The external ballistics will be different, the holdovers will be different, if you shoot at moving targets the time to impact will change and wont know how much to aim front of target, the bb act diffetent in wind. It takes time to get used to all variables. Imo i would stick to what im used to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know that you can get them for that much, but ¢5 per shot is still quite expensive.
That's cheaper than I've seen them on Alibaba, where do you get yours?
I got them direct from the bearing factory, easy possible the cost changed since tho, bought 3 years ago.

·
Registered
335 Posts
$0.20 per shot is still about what they go for on a good day so nothing has changed.

Also 4.7j seems a little irresponsible. If you mess up and accidentally shoot someone too close (or even at that 40m minimum) you could really hurt them, especially if they don't have a full face mask.

·
Registered
275 Posts
@Masada

I second this...or did he second me?

I've had my own team members, especially kids cross my line of fire without announcing. I been lucky/aware enough not to hit them, but I've seen other sniper mistakenly shoot someone around 20 feet out (on what I believe was the 2.9J because that's the field limit) - and they were bleeding BAD...

4.7J and I'm expecting bb shards embedment on the endodermis if hit on a more sensitive region

·
Registered
335 Posts
@AsianGuy

Pretty sure I just added on to what everyone else is saying lol.

The local games I play I'm at 2.8J and that's about where I'm comfortable with our 100ft minimum engagement distance. At the larger events that I prefer to play the limit is bumped to 3.6J with the same minimum, but I try my best to not be close to that 100ft minimum range. The benefit to the large events I go to is the AO is much more spread out so the normal ranges are a little more extended (which is why they use the 3.6J maximum). I couldn't imagine using 3.6J at local games and normal fields. That just sounds unsafe.

There's probably some quote from Spiderman that applies here...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
"Never start with the head, the victim gets all fuzzy. He can’t feel the next.” – That Bat Chap

I believe this is what you are thinking of lol

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I don't think 4.7 joules is over the top with a bolty. It can depend on the field and MED's.
One thing I do think should be a rule though at that energy rate is that the bolty should have to have a safety and the safety has to be engaged up until the rifle is fired. Some zero triggers do not have a safety. It may take a little bit of training to get used to the safety but that is part of being a good sniper.
The TTI trigger would be a good choice for a rifle of this calibre as the trigger has a safety and it can handle really high energy rates.
When in a group of people, I have had a bolt action rifle that did not have a safety on my back, catch on something and then fire. I am just glad it did not hit anyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think 4.7 joules is over the top with a bolty. It can depend on the field and MED's.
One thing I do think should be a rule though at that energy rate is that the bolty should have to have a safety and the safety has to be engaged up until the rifle is fired. Some zero triggers do not have a safety. It may take a little bit of training to get used to the safety but that is part of being a good sniper.
The TTI trigger would be a good choice for a rifle of this calibre as the trigger has a safety and it can handle really high energy rates.
When in a group of people, I have had a bolt action rifle that did not have a safety on my back, catch on something and then fire. I am just glad it did not hit anyone.
Its an srs not a random rifle :) safety works fine at any J rate, same for tac41.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I am not trying to promote any rifle. I was just saying that it is a wise idea that if clubs did go to the higher limit in joules that the safety should be mandatory

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm all for safety first

The field dicates the culture. I have one field I never remove my mask at...even in the safe zone or the parking lot. They play things too fast and loose and unfortunately the younger kids pick up bad habits. They think it's ok to "shoot into the ground" to test fire their guns, even in safe zones - and that is not ok. Also unfortunately you can't just walk up to people and instruct them on trigger discipline or they see you as the one with the problem.

·
proverbial discord mod wannabe
1,257 Posts
There's probably some quote from Spiderman that applies here...
I think the Deadpool version is more pertinent here, at least, in a certain, twisted interpretation.
'With great power comes great irresponsibility'- it would be irresponsible to use a very high powered 4.7 joule rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts