Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as my A&K SVD's sear just decided to poop out on me, I am in need of a new gun. As you all could probably tell, I'm a fan of Eastern Bloc stuff, so I prefer to use AKs, SVDs and Makarovs. Seeing as an SVD is out of the question, I'm left with an AK.

My current plan is to get an AK and make it into a nail driver. I really don't want to spend much on the base gun, because it will stop mattering once I install an R-Hop and fuss with the gearbox. I'd just like to know if it is feasible to make a DMR out of a DBoys or CYMA AK. I know that both suffice very well for an assault rifle, but I am new to long-range builds in general, so I am unaware if the AK is suitable for a DMR.

If an AK DMR is feasible, I'll also need help with my shopping list. If R-hop installation goes south (knowing me, it will), I'll probably have to rely on a normal hop up unit. That, and I doubt DBoys or CYMA have good barrels OTB.

My desired specs are as such (and they are pretty simple, and probably modest compared to most builds):
400 FPS (already taken care of)
Ability to hit a torso at 250ft
Propensity to not die

Spasiba,
Defgun

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's currently out of stock. I'd like to wait, but I'll need a gun in the meantime.

That, and the sear was not the only source of my SVD's downfall. The selector and safety assembling had also sustained damage, not to mention the fact that my barrel had to undergo some surgery to correct the crooked barrel window, and that said surgery had some complications.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The only possible issue I could foresee is the somewhat rudimentary sights and the fact that an AK is not that prone-friendly. Also, there's the question of which brand is better. I'd probably be deciding between CYMA and DBoys, both of which are equally (un)suitable for what I want.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes sir it is. I have one. Cyma cm048; Prommy 456mm 6.05tb, guarder sp140 spring, matrix CNC piston head and cylinder head, matrix piston with steel teeth. 385-390fps w/ .28 at 150+ feet. We don't really know the range and it hasnt been fielded yet since the new internals. I think I've got around $210 in it without adding external mods. I run beta mags so its noy that bad, but prone isn't comfortable.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The AK DMR's also look sweet with a real steel scope on them. I guy at my field has one and it looks pretty awesome.

@the3rdeye88: My teammate has a really short standard magazine (about half length of normal) that looks pretty good. I think it could suit your needs and IMO it would look better than a beta magazine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've got 6 of them and just got a 5pk of bakelite 100 rounders in. I almost never go prone. Unless I am shooting off a hill or a berm.

I don't have a POSP because I didn't want to spend $250 for the 2-6x with weaver rings and all the fixed 4x scopes were sold out everywhere.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm pretty sure his was a fixed 4x because it wasn't anywhere near $250.

I didn't know if you knew about them or not since you said it wasn't comfortable going prone. I just like the way they look too.

@defgun: I have a spare stock sear for the SVD that you could have, but I guess it would just break again (it's got a little wear on it from running a crazy spring for a short time). The steel one from that site is definitely recommended. After a ton of use with a Systema 400% spring, there was zero wear; I'd buy the steel piston though, because the lip on my piston started to wear down pretty thin.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had a AK DMR. Sent shots really really far till I turned it into highspeed. Now I troll at 40 rps. But just start off with a good barrel hopup system and a r hop then mod your gun for aoe shim and airseal. Then that should work for then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.