Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like im either getting that the A&K SVD spring or save for gas... but even i heard that spring is more accurate... so im narrowing down on this deal at my local store 280$ ( Canadian) for A&K SVD + PSO-1 scope :DDDD i love those scopes. Its either getting this gun or L96... but i love dragunovs so what do u guys think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, some people say that bolt-action SVDs are a crime. I disagree. However, you should know that you certainly are getting a steal on that gun + scope combo. Replica PSO's cost $100+ alone! However, since you probably already knew that, I'll get on to the important bit. Spring powered guns can be a pain to cock (If you are of a smaller build, that is), but gas guns have larger power fluctuations. Both will need to be upgraded, about, $800 in total for each, I'd be guessing. The upgrade lists are very long and boring, so I'll leave them to someone else to do. I just wanted to warn you that either path would be a long one. And, by the way, what Type 96 would you be getting?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love SVDs too, but they are a crime. The stronger a spring you use, the stronger you have to pull in a gym. It's all about raw power. Except for that, it is quite nice. I would advise you to buy the expensive one from A&K, not the crappy one at $100. The only scope that goes with an SVD is a PSO. So that's a good bargain. As RedDagger said before me, expect to put a lot of expensive upgrades in it.
I wouldn't recommend the gas one, exactly because of the fluctuations and because you won't be able to use it outside if there are less than 15 degrees Celsius.
My question for me (ex-owner of an A&K SVD spring) and for any other user of the same replica: why don't we use electric ones? Originally, the SVD was designed as a DMR. A guy in my club has an electric SVD and he has done wonders with it. It shoots further and more precise than any other sniper rifle of any of my colleagues.

Conclusion: buy the L96 ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wouldn't say spring is more accurate, perhaps more consistent to unregulated gas rifles, but about the same for regulated gas rifles.
Also spring rifles create more vibrations in the inner barrel so accuracy can fluctuate more than what regulated gas rifles can, but generally spring works and works well.

As a toss up between l96 and svd I would go svd as it just looks nicer, check around for upgrade parts first though

·
Super Moderator
4,126 Posts
I have to agree with the others. Buying a spring SVD ought to be a crime. If you are going to get an SVD, the cyma or echo1 (the echo1 is pretty powerful right out of the box and needs minimal upgrade to perform quite well.) If you have the money the Real Sword.

Do not get a replica PSO. Every last one sucks. I have used most of them. The only one I have not used is the one from Real Sword. But the ones I have used have been a massive disappointment considering how much you pay for them.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I'm no expert on SVD's, but I wouldn't say a spring SVD is a crime.

I happen to know for a fact that some Russian marksmen would take off the gas-return-pipe (or whatever the thing is called) and operate the rifle's bolt manually, thus removing the semi-auto feature of the rifle. This would make the rifle more accurate and more quiet, at the expense of a lower rate of fire.

From a realism point of view, a spring SVD is not a crime, because "bolt-action" real steel SVD's very much exist :tup:

An SVD is huge and bulky though, those things are really long. And then there's of course the ridiculous long inner barrel (I'd cut that down by about 200mm, just for efficiency's sake). If you love the looks however, definitely go for it. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

An AEG version (realsword appears to be awesome) is another option, but will be even more expensive and probably less accurate, even though you'll have a higher rate of fire :tup:

An L96 is heavy and bulky too, but not as long as an SVD. Still, it depends on your personal preference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha thanks for all the responses guys!!! Ye so i dont know what i wanna go with... but its not like i have the money right now anyway:shrug: I love the Dragunov for looks and because of the scope. The L96 looks nice too.... I was prob gonna look at a WELL l96 if i was gonna get one... what do u guys think?

·
Registered
731 Posts
A good scope in the russian style, is going to cost you at least 220 dollars (belarus made). I personally opted for a rail mount+american style scope.

Nonetheless, it's going to be expensive. I can recommend getting a CYMA though. If you really like the SVD, just save up. A Well L96 needs upgrades too, and those don't come cheap either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a spring svd pass through my basement once, they aren't the best made, but after snugging up and not overtightening every screw it shot "much better" according to its owner.

So scoring a really cheap one on the secondary market can be a pretty simple fix.
The bolt pull on it was ridiculous though

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
The Spring SVD is one of the few sniper rifles that I have not owned but I have tried one.
To be honest, compared to the L96 or the VSR, the bolt pull on the SVD sucks. It is a lot harder to pull than the other rifles. So if you get a big spring, your hand will get sore very quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea... i dont know... i dont like VSR 10 cause they are too boring and mainstream... regardless if they are good. they look like god damn hunting guns... SVD bolt i might just have to get used to.... and the next thing for me to practice is stealth and patience haha... i love it.. but it needs practice

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
yea... i dont know... i dont like VSR 10 cause they are too boring and mainstream... regardless if they are good. they look like god damn hunting guns... SVD bolt i might just have to get used to.... and the next thing for me to practice is stealth and patience haha... i love it.. but it needs practice
I guess that depends on weather you want to shoot the enemy or look cool. If you get a VSR, then you will most likely shoot a lot of your opposition but if you get an SVD, they will see you straining to pull that bolt back. So get an L96.:yup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha true i guess there is alot of logic to that ;DD i want to get kills true.... but more or less im also ok with crawling inch by inch in a ghillie for a long time just to get one or two satisfying kills ;D i want to be the best at stealth and concealment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying to get a Russian inspired loadout and I cant seem to put my eyes off the AIM top gas blowback SVD, even though the mags haven't been in stock for the longest time and they're quite expensive. Another SVD that seemed promising was the electric A&K. But the only problem is that literally no one shows its max range potential out of the box and I cant seem to find anyone talking about the upgrades. ether way both of the SVDs seem to not exist ad far as I can tell so if anyone has any info on ether of those two (preferably the electric A&K) that would be great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts