Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
As said above, lower fps is to be expected.But that results in no practial disadvantage.
I wouldn't try to compensate any joule loss with stronger springs. The difference between extremes like 2.2 vs. 3.5 J is about 15m more range @0.45g and that's not really worth the wear and tear and costs on the field IMO.
The ssg10 claims to be able to handle up to 5J springs. But I think the easiest thing would be for me to just get a 400mm barrel. Im pissed novy site didnt mention this, though, or I would have gotten the long barrel initially. It just says "accuracy not affected bt barrel length".
Btw noone at the field I went to last weekend measured fps, and some of those hpa aeg guys definately looked hot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
After playing for some time, a person will be able to judge the range that the enemy can shoot and so therefore they will be able to keep outside of this. So this is when that 15 meters becomes vital.
Also, if you have the correct setup, using a big spring will not wear the rifle out very fast. I am still on the same trigger and piston system from about 8 years ago. The only part that I have gone through is the cylinder. I have gone through about 3 of these. But you also have to remember that I have also had my rifles up to 4.5 joules at some stages. (This was before we measured in joules)
I'm guessing its diminitishing returns at 4+ joules? I could see .45's still getting all squirrely after 80-90yards just from air resistance.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have found that the kinetic energy isn't the difference, its the velocity the ammo is going.
I'm sure 1tonne will agree that the maximum FPS for the ammo you play with is 360-375FPS, and you just use a heavier BB if you want more power.
Exactly why the major sniper guys like Masada use .69g cermacs, so they can run high joules and get good range, also because they have a better ballistic coefficient.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have found that the kinetic energy isn't the difference, its the velocity the ammo is going.
I'm sure 1tonne will agree that the maximum FPS for the ammo you play with is 360-375FPS, and you just use a heavier BB if you want more power.
Exactly why the major sniper guys like Masada use .69g cermacs, so they can run high joules and get good range, also because they have a better ballistic coefficient.
Some places allow +3 J and ceramics?

Was gonna go to my local field today but my buddies canceled, and by the time I got my shit together it woulda been silly to run down solo (games stop at 3:30-3:45 as we approach the shortest day of the year, I guess. Hope its not like that year round). Anyway, long story shorter, I took some shots off my balcony and even at 40-50 yards the wind took them everywhere. Gusting to 20mph, according to google, but even at calmer moment the lateral shift was disheartening (.45g's)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yeah, basically just Sweden, sketchy countries, and cool milsims, that's about it.

Definitely look at polishing your barrel, but if it's windy then it's not ideal.

I've also been looking LRBs, with one in my SSX23 just to try it out, and I'm liking it quite a lot.
Pretty much just find a way to push the last 50% of your barrel downward, or bend it like .5mm downward so the BB rides on the roof for the last 50% or a bit less to center it.

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
My site allows 3.6j for bolt actions. Third coast airsoft events also have 3.6j bolt action rules.

Some places if you ask might let you use ceramics, but you need to be quite hard core as ceramic bbs are 25 cents or more per bb. A little fact no one has mentioned.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Well that's about the same as real ammo as far as 5.56 and 9mm these days, as the ceramics can be lower or higher depending on where you get them.
Best I saw was ¢18 on AliExpress a few months ago, but I bought some BLS .48g instead because I use 2.81J.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The default barrel gives more energy in those charts than the shorter barrel. If a barrel is too short for the bb weight, the bb will exit before the piston has completed its travel. This waists precious cylinder air and gives less acceleration time in the barrel. Thus not achieving max acceleration.
What i need to do then?
Get heavier piston?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
A heavier piston may help but I cannot be 100% sure on that.
What you can do it either port your cylinder (That is if you are 100% certain about your bb weight and fixed barrel length) or you can use a longer inner barrel.
If you port your cylinder, this will allow for the piston to speed up for a longer period before the compression starts and thus giving you more energy.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Not recommended for almost everybody as it's irreversible, I suggest that you just cut down the inner barrel to whatever length @1tonne says is good for the APS2 and whatever BBs you use.

Cylinders for the SSG24 are harder to come by these days, while you can get a barrel with relative ease.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A heavier piston may help but I cannot be 100% sure on that.
What you can do it either port your cylinder (That is if you are 100% certain about your bb weight and fixed barrel length) or you can use a longer inner barrel.
If you port your cylinder, this will allow for the piston to speed up for a longer period before the compression starts and thus giving you more energy.
Not recommended for almost everybody as it's irreversible, I suggest that you just cut down the inner barrel to whatever length @1tonne says is good for the APS2 and whatever BBs you use.

Cylinders for the SSG24 are harder to come by these days, while you can get a barrel with relative ease.
Thanks for the explanation, but i have already cut my outerbarrel.What do you suggest i do? Should I take a long inner barrel?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Longer inner barrels normally are better.
You can extend it by making a silencer to fit over the top of it. This would be a long silencer but they can look pretty cool like this. I have done this with many VSR's.
Just put a long silencer over the outer barrel and then work out where it looks good. Then where the silencer covered the outer barrel, wrap Masking Tape around the barrel. Wrap enough so that the silencer will fit onto the tape snug. Then also wrap a layer of tape around the end of the outer barrel. So you will have 2 lots of tape wrapped around your outer barrel that the silencer can fit snugly over. Thus making your gun longer.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
The only reason you would really use an extra short outer barrel is if you are playing in CQB and it was a dedicated CQB sniper. So you would be set on forever having a short rifle. In this case I would port the cylinder. In all other cases, the correct cylinder to barrel ratio is better. So a longer barrel.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts