Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't watch this show regularly, but this caught my eye: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/sons-of-guns/#mkcpgn=ytdsc1

The main concept is to combine the ruggedness of an AK, with the ergonomics of an M4.

More pics of the gun:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/sons-of-guns/photos/ak-sniper-rifle-pictures.html

While certainly not classical, it has a bit of an appeal, and the price and quality of airsoft ak's cannot be beat. It's my leading candidate for my next build. I'll post a proposed price list in a few, in the mean time, thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
That sounds pretty cool. I would recommend starting off with something like a cyma, as they have good out of the box internals and are tm compatible. Are you going to use an ak to m4 front end conversion or just modify the rails to fit the ak like they did on their gun?

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I watched that episode. That thing was sweet. Though Sons of Guns are knuckle heads and all. In the show they said the rifle was actually a Saiga, not an AK. Then they call it an AK later, but I am a serious AK NUT!! Its a Saiga, the mag is the first thing that gives it away. But anyways, they are making the AR/AK kits for airsoft, I just cant remember where I saw them. You can easily make this rifle, with a bit of $$ but yeah, would be sweet!

I also agree, start out with a Cyma! G darn good AK's they have!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Because right now they are going for about $4500, more for a Chinese NDM 79 or 86 chambered in 7.62x51 (.308 Win) and thats IF you can find one in good shape. Most people dont want to go through the trouble of finding boxer primed 7.62x54R, Lapua makes it but its about $2 per case.

The surplus ammo is either corrosive or laquer coated. Laquer coating is bad since when it heats up it coats your chamber causing pressure spikes that can and will damage your rifle, is detrimental to accuracy and causes stuck cases also.

Besides all of which Dragunovs can no longer be imported into the US...so If your telling me you want them to cut one up........
Also of note, the Dragunov's trigger mechinism is a lot more complicated than an AKs. Im not saying its not as reliable, but more parts means something may be more likely to fail, no one makes spare parts for them, they have to be ordered from either Russia or somewere in Europe for a premium price. (Example trigger group is about $500 not including shipping last I looked)

·
Registered
109 Posts
THey kinda go in cyclic spurs like SPAS 12 owners, were a bunch of people will get rid of the one in their collection all at once, and then the market completely dries up for a while.

Then are alot of people that try to pass off a $400 ROMAK III/PSL 54 as a Dragunov to sell it for what ever the going rate for an SVD is. The ROMAK is just an elongated reciever AK and I have first handle knowledge that they arnt even in the same league as far as accuracy or function goes. Actually come to think of it the ROMAK would be excellent for turning into an AK/AR 10 hybrid.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well he would save money if he started with something that has 1 or 2 of the accessories that he wanted already on the base gun. That's all I was getting at.
Not necessarily that gun in particular as I think the beta project might have some proprietary parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.