Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know it sounds foolish, but I think I can see some potential in KJW's new GBB rifle for a 'just for the fun of it' DMR. I don't know exactly how I feel about the looks of the gun yet but I know you can customize that with various existing after market body parts for the M4/M16 platform and anything that can attach to an RAS system which fixes up that issue a bit. Apparently it is made of CNC machined aluminum and nylon fiber; a pretty impressive build quality for something so cheap. Next off I saw that the consistency wasn't to ridiculous for a gas blow back rifle; variations were within about a 20fps range mostly in the center at 410fps with a couple 'fliers'. Mags are only 25 bucks too.

The main concern for me at the moment was the barrel and hopup unit... Could I equip the rifle with an aftermarket tight bore? If that is possible I think this thing could turn into a pretty neat little project rifle; of course never to be very serious of a gun, just something fun to use on occasion or as a secondary.

Let me know what you all's thoughts are, otherwise I'll have to go with an expensive M14 or M16 to satisfy my GBB DMR desire

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try researching its predecessor, the Tonia Koba 10/22. Its considered a classic so you might want to start with the classic airsoft forums. Besides that, your are right besides KJ recovering from a crappy name. I would lightly look into their must recent GBB pistols and M4 and make some of your decision on good faith.

Other than that:
~430FPS++ as the weather warms up
probably fits 10/22 stocks easily
22 round mag
very quick action w/ no recoil
magazine ~$25

looks like a VSR HU cut to me.
http://en.ratech.com.tw/product/rag/rag-kj/rag_kj.php
But the bucking looks REALLY poorly made or proprietary.
http://en.ratech.com.tw/product/rag/rag-kj/rag_kj.php

"decent"? grouping w/ .2g at 150', but still had flyers
http://www.airsoftgiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15304

I don't know why they just didn't make a Mini-14 or a M1 carbine. I would say its a project gun at best w/o a npas valve to drop the velocity down until you can accurize it. But if you like a challenge or 10/22 you may not need it to be sniper accurate. Would be a fun project gun but 22 round mags would limit its skirmishability IMO. Keep you eye on RA-Tech for new stuff if you get it. They are already offering custom models.

Seeing how this is easily a $300 purchase with two mags let alone what you'll probably put into it. I would save my money for a Polarstar HPA gearbox and air rig for some old M4 or SR-25. I think those will have more potential.

Not trying to thread jack or run a sales schpeel for the PSA HPA GB but it will be more consistent as an electric driven NBB. You'll have way more control over your velocity and you'll be able to change your ROF and modes of fire. So, high rps M4 CQB hoser to high FPS semi only DMR with a few adjustments. Plus it uses preexisting after-market parts for everything outside the gearbox, TBB, buckings, mags and bodies. Now you'll still need a air-rig but if you are a project gun kinda guy, or ever thought of classics, this will be like have a nice battery charger, chrono or range finder laying around.

Anyway just my .02

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input and link mateba
The gun is looking more promising every second!

In regards to your comments of the Polar Star HPA gear box, I have some opinions about it as well. Here are the problems with the HPA GB that I can think of off the top of my head:
-You have to get your HPA tank refilled and airsoft fields do not have their own compressors.
-You need to carry your tank with you at ALL times in a pouch or a pack.
-IMO the requirement of having your rifle attached to your body(the tank in your gear) is a hassle that is honestly not worth the gains. I have used this kind of external air source system on an M700 and I honestly hated it.

Now, I realize all the benefits of the HPA gearbox; I know and have plenty of personal experience with HPA's affect on consistency through gas bolt guns and paintball markers. I know also how great the trigger response will be and how helpful and useful the ability to adjust the FPS and ROF of the gun is but it just does not sound like it is what I am looking for right now, that being a light and more maneuverable rifle to fill both an assault carbine role as well as a fun tactical DMR role; the KJW seems to fit this flawlessly as it can be customized very easily.

To respond to some other things you said: the gun takes M4 style butt stocks and grips and can have any RAS attachment you could want; great ability to be customized. Also with the threaded outer I can attach an extension outer barrel and then a silencer for a really long ass barrel, that is of course if it can except any other barrel besides the RA-tech one. To me the barrel definitely does not look like a VSR cut; it looks to be a usual GBB rifle/pistol design missing the 'bridge' at the rear of the hopup cut out. I am thinking I could always modify the hopup unit to fit either an AEG or VSR cut barrel or get one of these barrels and cut off the bridge in the back to make it fit. On the note of only 22rnd magazines, I do not think that would limit skirmishability in the least! Even if I was using the rifle set up to fill an assault carbine niche I think a 22rd mag is plenty; I owned a WE PDW which used the 30rd magazine and that was fine in all the engagements it saw. The low magazine capacity actually increased my personal performance by pressuring me in combat to excel my marksmanship skills in order to compensate for this. Reloading was never the problem; running out of magazines was the only issue because I only had 5 total due to the steep prices and having 5 magazines can be an issue when at an event with 200+ people because you just have so far to go and so much to do. I believe this KJW wouldn't have this problem pretty much ever because mags are cheap and small so you can carry a bunch of them if necessary. From my research, RA-tech has their custom wood stock out for sale already as either a conversion kit or a full gun.

Although I already own a nice HPA tank and still have an extra remote line laying around, I think I will take woogies advise and just buy one once I can afford it. I'd like to keep this discussion open/going as I think a nice data-base on this gun would be helpful to everyone. I'll let you know if/when I get one and if I find any additional information.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, the $25 mags sure is a plus over other GBBRs. I think you are right in that it'll be a fun project gun. I can't even begin to imagine all the RS accessories and bodies that would be compatible even if they may take a little work. I have a hard time getting outside the practical application of any new addition to my collection. Polarstar has done a very poor job at marketing their product by not releasing the simplest of info even if its data relative to a specific build. I can understand your hesitation. But, considering your alternative expressed in your first post. I think the PSA HPA GB would be a better investment than a new high-end AEG. I didn't know you were so close to being ready for an external air setup. You're lucky.

I don't want to get into the air hose debate but I will say that IMO, it has never been an issue and I use a sling anyway. My rifle won't be laying around unless I'm not using it anyway. I just don't want that concern to deter you in the future. You might want to try someone's if you get a chance. But, yes, you will need to keep the tank in a backpack or camelbak which is more weight and nothing but pure bliss to roll over on. :) Eh, gotta do what it takes for performance under pressure.

Also found that these are manufactured by using Koba's molds. I bet the mags are compatible. Depending on when Koba made his 10/22 it may take the VSR bucking. He got Marui GBB off the ground. Thats why I saying you could afford putting some faith in KJW's more recent products.

You might want to copy search and google translate.
Koba 10/22 upgrades
http://www.taniokoba.co.jp/10_22option.html
Koba 10/22 disassembly and review.
http://www.gunpower.com/?document_srl=19433
Koba 10/22 interview with Mr. Koba
http://www.on.rim.or.jp/~hiraga/KOBA02.HTML

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ok guys...

Did not want to start a new thread, since so much good info is on this one. So figured would bring this one back to the top and see if anyone has one of these rifles? If I would have remembered this rifle before I got the PWD. But all is good, can try and get one in a few months.

So does anyone have this thing yet?? Still looks like it could be a great project. And they are sounding like they are great little shooters as well. So could be a great rifle for a scout or something like that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I won't open a new thread either..I just found out about this gun and the RA-Tech sniper version, as seen here:

And I must say I am impressed..my search started since my Tanaka M40A1 is non-blowback and I must say..I am addicted to blowback now that I have a G&P WOC SR-15 URX and a KSC P226 PTP.

So I went looking for a gas blowback bolt action but I couldn't find any..the only sniper version I could find is this KJW KC02 that is semi (non bolt action) and turns into a great M40A3 (to my eyes) when combined with RA-Tech conversion kit.

I might put my HPA kit into that, it seems such a beast..mmh. What do you guys think? :)

·
Administrator
6,201 Posts
I was also looking for one a couple months ago...
I think they're pretty good and KJ makes the most reliable GBBRs right out of the box. There are still upgrade parts for so I think it's good.

One of the best semi auto DMR NBBs is the Kokusai Crimebuster but they can be really pricey though. Ask Cheese Man and Woogie about it.

Wolf

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
But he didnt ask if anyone would read this thread..He stated that the thread has been dead for awhile.. and that you revived a dead thread, and that isnt allowed on any forums for the most part. That why he told you to look at the last post made and when it was made.

So, in short buddy. Please do not revive dead topics. Thank you.

·
Administrator
6,201 Posts
Give something about accuracy how much pressure do you run your without issues, range, what parts have you install.... Basically a mini review and if you can post some photo's of it and the internals.

Thanks
Wolf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well im new here and i may get in trouble for my first post being in a necrofest but i have used a kc02 every weekend for the last 5 months and heres my 2 cents.

I didnt do much shooting stock but after a few mods the accuracy is quite good for a gbbr. The mods are a full legnth falcon tbb and a ra tech hopup (the falcon hop gave me a mean right hook) and i added spacers to the hammer spring till i has getting 400 fps with .3s on a unmodified mag.
at 150ft a doubletap gets me a kill 90% and at 200ft its more in the 50-60% range. In my opinion thats pretty good considering im only sending 2 rounds down range.

This gun also thrives on abuse and seems to hate oil so use it VERY spareingly, even on the outside of the bolt.

I use standard 35rd mags without hpa with fairly consistant results while using the doubletap method. i have used hpa and 100-110psi gets me 400 with .3s consistantly with unmoded trigger spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.